Author Topic: Websites using facebook content to 'personalise'...  (Read 1061 times)

Websites using facebook content to 'personalise'...
« on: 29 September, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »
I looked at a film review site (rottentomatoes) the other day, and saw my facebook photo staring back at me, with "hi andy"...  Wasn't that impressed with this use of my content from another site.  How do they do this; cookie trawling? 

At least for the site in question they had a 'disable' option...

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Websites using facebook content to 'personalise'...
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2010, 02:53:13 pm »
It's down to your privacy settings. If a non-friend looks you up, can they see your wall? If they can, then sites can easily trawl and pick up things you've posted. And a lot of people's walls are 'open', I notice, after a change in the settings earlier this year. It's easy to fix, you just have to know to do it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »
Ah!

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »
RT are not being evil, FB are, and it's the usual privacy Zuck-up.  If you're concerned about such things.

There's an argument here for a pervasive, ubiquitous web presence as a good thing. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:51:04 am »
Facebook Throws Rotten Tomatoes at Movie Fans | WebProNews

Thanks.  So facebook formally gives RT access to its cookies.

Not quite. A cookie for any domain (i.e. facebook.com) can only ever be sent to a webserver on that specific domain (i.e. facebook.com). You can't grant access to allow other sites to read cookies for your domain.

What happens is the little window where the facebook content appears is actually a separate frame that is part of the facebook.com website itself. So the facebook.com cookie is sent there, so it knows who you are and can serve up the personalised information.

The rest of the site you're browsing doesn't see the data from facebook (although it can get at it if it really wants) as it never sees it, the whole page only comes together on your browser.

You may think it works like this:-

You <----> Somesite <----> facebook

But it's not, you're talking to both the main site and facebook separately, i.e.

facebook <----> You <----> Somesite

It's not really a privacy problem at all.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."