Author Topic: Website Design Providers for Schools  (Read 623 times)

Website Design Providers for Schools
« on: 28 June, 2012, 10:00:08 am »
My kids' school has a relatively good-looking website. Not cutting edge, but not ugly, I think. However, the Head thinks it is the bees knees. Where it really falls down is its content. In parts it is non-existent, in others woefully out of date. This is down to the staff not having the time to update it, and the update process being out of the school's hand.

Anyway, as a governor I've badgered the Head about it and she has started to look at alternatives, including starting afresh using a template-based provider to generate a new site. This would cost £300 for 3 years, which seems quite good to me. However, their sites do end up looking very formulaic and dull and have very wide margins so that the site looks squashed up on a page using 1068 x 760 resolution. The template causes this.

So, are there any other providers out there who have a self-design template but where you end up with a decent-looking site? They would need to be VERY easy to manage and flexible.

TIA

Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Website Design Providers for Schools
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2012, 10:19:23 am »
I'd suggest a CMS system, with which you can design and edit pages easily, giving permission to individuals or groups to edit certain pages or parts of pages.

I've PMd you with one that I did in a morning. Currently I update it but this will be done by staff in the future.
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Website Design Providers for Schools
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »
Joomla is your friend - dead simple to work with CMS - loads of components and templates, which are flexible and can be tweaked to personalise.   An excellent manual costs about £20 - read that and you're flying.

Rob