Author Topic: Weirdness with an Android phone & Virgin's superhub  (Read 984 times)

Weirdness with an Android phone & Virgin's superhub
« on: 21 December, 2012, 06:11:20 pm »
I have a Virgin Media Superhub & when the phone is connected, the SH seems to reboot 5-6 times an hour & does not report the correct IP address of the phone.

Basically, the superhub keeps dropping out & I can't even ping it for about 90 secs. from the Mac which is wired.

If I disable then enable wifi on the phone, it get an IP address usually of 192.168.0.6 but then changes every time I refresh the page & gives addresses such as 4.2.34.67 or 106.204.158.157 or 204.159.21.255.

Any thoughts??

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Weirdness with an Android phone & Virgin's superhub
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »
Yes. The  superhub is flaky. I find it drops out which kills the wireless on the RasPi. Rather annoying. 

You could also download WiFi Analyser to check the EM Smog levels in your locality.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »
I have a Virgin Media Superhub & when the phone is connected, the SH seems to reboot 5-6 times an hour & does not report the correct IP address of the phone.

Basically, the superhub keeps dropping out & I can't even ping it for about 90 secs. from the Mac which is wired.

If I disable then enable wifi on the phone, it get an IP address usually of 192.168.0.6 but then changes every time I refresh the page & gives addresses such as 4.2.34.67 or 106.204.158.157 or 204.159.21.255.

Any thoughts??

The only thought I have (apart from having a SUPERHUB that doesn't like connecting to a Mac for some reason) is that there is no way nohow you should be getting Internet legal addresses as the ones you list, which suggests a very odd issue with the phone, see if it repeats with other phones. If it does, then it is the SUPERHUB causing it and should go back as fast as poss.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:09:26 pm »
You could give the Android phone an IP address manually, instead of using DHCP.

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2012, 10:17:34 am »
Tried the static IP address, the SH still reports odd IP addresses.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2012, 09:53:35 am »
It took me about one day to arrive at the position of disabling the WiFi on my Superhub, and cabling a separate wifi access point.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2012, 09:57:22 am »
I have considered reinstating the router but would rather only have one!

It on;y seems to do this with one device though.