Author Topic: Website and email hosting, domains, etc.  (Read 2540 times)

Website and email hosting, domains, etc.
« on: 01 February, 2013, 02:48:24 pm »
OK, so I've asked similar before but here goes anyway.

We need a website and email addresses.   I guess that this emans I need to buy a domain name, hosting services for teh website and similar for the email.

Any recommendations please?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Website and email hosting, domains, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »
1&1

I know their ads look a bit OTT and 'large corporate' but I've found them very reliable for 8 or 9 years now.  They tend to offer an awful lot of unwanted stuff in the package, but I just ignore all that.  Incidentally their servers are not located in the UK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »
I've been using Cirtex Hosting for a good 10 years now as a test bed and online file store. For me they have been reliable and the $2.50/month isn't that much.

My domain names are bought through 123-reg after I moved hosting from 1&1 about the same time when they were having server issues. I'd assume they have improved since then though I gave up trying to remove the domain name from them as there was a charge to do so.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:04:25 pm »
Falcoda Internet. http://www.falcoda.co.uk
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:06:42 pm »
I use JustHost now. £96 for 5 years, unlimited everything. Which I know may be a lie but I am abusing their system and they don't seem to mind.

Once you have one account you can host multiple domains off it. For instance selfharmony, bikeology, radiance etc are all hosted off the one account and from the outside you'll never know.

I used to have accounts with Fasthosts, 1&1, Dreamhost, UK2, Clara, Pipex, Demon and in the end I've never been happier. Been with them for over a year now.

Oh and ps if you do decide to go with Justhost, gimme a shout first if you wanna look around.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2013, 11:42:08 am »
https://www.tsohost.com/

Without a shadow of a doubt. I pay £14/year for Cpanel hosting (pretty low scale needs). They are not the cheapest, if you need a lot of space/bandwidth, but wupport is second to none (Check relative user ratings/reviews)

They typically reply to a support request in minutes - not hours.

Servers are also very fast.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »
I use Dreamhost.  Reliable, not expensive, and a nice intuitive service for beginners, you don't have to be fluent in seventeen computer language and able to hack into the Pentagon just to set up a site.

I found 1&1 to be grasping bastards, but that might just have been a one off bad customer experience.

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »
I've got a couple of domains of that sort with http://www.freevirtualservers.com/. Usual cpanel stuff to control, subdomains, databases, etc. I run wordpress, mail and feng on them at the moment. My helpdesk use has been pretty low but always answered in a reasonable time (which I prefer to a quicker response that I had to use often).
The actually free ones are occasionally a bit slow to open a connection, but they'd be low traffic and probably get swapped out sometimes. I've only had to start paying for the one I put photos on.

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2023, 01:26:07 pm »
Ten years ago seems to be the most recent thread to resurrect.

My current host are TSOhost, inherited from Evohosting (who were good). The package I was on was a legacy one, for £100 a year I had a server and capability of supporting unlimited domains, and they shut it down without telling me, locking me out of cpanel etc and breaking stuff along the way.

All I really use these days is DNS for my domains, and then only mine and Mrs Ham.

Any recommendation?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:06:27 pm »
Not sure if they do exactly what you want but I'm quite happy with Siteground for all my sites atm.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:33:09 pm »
All the cool kids are switching to Porkbun for domains / DNS.

Tsohost auto renewed a domain I’d already transferred out (I.e charged me for doing nothing) so eff them.

Afasoas

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2023, 05:23:44 pm »
Not really a recommendation as I don't think use case is the same, but I've been using OVH for domains for over ten years and running my own DNS servers.
You can host DNS records for a domain with OVH.

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2023, 11:07:55 am »
Well, Siteground seemed to have a good rep, so I've gone with them. Thus far, I'm very impressed. Support I've had so far is excellent, there are no restrictions on "parking" domains and it is ultra easy to create mail forward for all of them.