Author Topic: What 4" Android smartphone?  (Read 1843 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: What 4" Android smartphone?
« Reply #25 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
Sony Xperia z3+ compact

I can't find a Z3+ Compact, only Z3+ and Z3 Compact.

The Z3+ was tempting, but the Z3 Compact saves a bit of size, weight and money.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #26 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact ordered.  *Gulp*

At the top end of my budget, but better specced than Motorolla equivalents, and better reviewed than Samsung's.  4.6" screen and not much wider overall than my BlackBerry.

You'll love it. They're solid little power houses but I recommend getting insurance and/or some form of case because the glass is still glass. Gorilla or not.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:00:46 pm »
Update:

Choosing a case I like is proving more difficult than choosing the phone was!

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the Xperia Z3 Compact.  Works quickly and smoothly regardless of whatever I do with it.  A single battery charge lasts a whole day of intensive use (while I'm learning and trying apps like mad), so hopefully it'll still have enough capacity for typical use when it's half dead in x year's time - which is fortunate as the battery is not user-replaceable.  (It's bound to be physically possible to change the battery, but probably with risk of damage).  I do badly miss the BlackBerry's physical keyboard and trackpad, but I expected to.

Regarding app storage on this phone: some can be partially transferred to the Micro SD card, but not fully, and some apps not at all.  Perhaps this will change when it eventually gets Marshmallow.  (Android's release notes imply so).  There's room in the main memory for plenty of apps, meanwhile.

Also, some unwanted pre-supplied apps can't be uninstalled, although I've worked out a trick to save them taking so much memory:  Delete their "data" and uninstall updates to revert to "factory" versions (which tend to be a lot smaller), and disable them and don't update them.  I don't think I'll get into rooting.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:25:11 pm »
I just ordered the Wileyfox Swift for the wife's Christmas pressie. I hope she like it! Got it on offer from Amazon.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:02:05 pm »
I just ordered the Wileyfox Swift for the wife's Christmas pressie. I hope she like it! Got it on offer from Amazon.

I liked the look of the Wileyfox, it was just a bit too big for me tho.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.