Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210777 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: DOTD
« Reply #275 on: 26 May, 2015, 07:41:28 am »
A very special award goes to

http://road.cc/content/news/152498-video-manchester-cyclist-rides-through-red-light-and-side-bus

If you read the comments you find out that he says hid brake cable snapped and he didn't have enough time to skid stop.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #276 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:44:22 am »
Still shit riding though. Only a fool would ride through a  green light without looking left for rlj-ing traffic.

« Reply #277 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:22:07 am »

http://road.cc/content/news/152498-video-manchester-cyclist-rides-through-red-light-and-side-bus

If you read the comments you find out that he says hid brake cable snapped and he didn't have enough time to skid stop.

It's 4 seconds from when the lights turn red until he crosses the stop line. Glad he isn't hurt, but he doesn't have anyone or anything else to blame, sorry.

The second vid where the cyclist is an enthusiastic starter, it was clear the lorry was RLJ-ing, a normal, less enthusiastic start as all other riders did would have been less....exciting.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #278 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:56:59 am »

It's 4 seconds from when the lights turn red until he crosses the stop line. Glad he isn't hurt, but he doesn't have anyone or anything else to blame, sorry.

The second vid where the cyclist is an enthusiastic starter, it was clear the lorry was RLJ-ing, a normal, less enthusiastic start as all other riders did would have been less....exciting.

Or if the second cyclist had been covering the brakes - his hands were palm forward holding the curve of the bars, you can see his right hand let go and reposition for the front brake lever.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #279 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:37:45 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #280 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:42:02 pm »
Me..

I was cleaning my bike after yesterday's damp-ish 200, and noticed the seat-pack was missing.
I'd just done a 200k into the remote wilds without any spare tube or anything.

The reason was that the last ride that bike had done was a wet 400, where I had swapped out the seat-pack for a bigger bag.
I'd removed the bigger bag when cleaning it up after the wet 400, but never replaced the seat-pack.

Idiot Boy.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #281 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:10:25 pm »
At least you picked the perfect time to discover the omission  ;D
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Jaded

• The Codfather

« Reply #284 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:43:52 am »
I think we have a winner:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/13059984.Cyclist_smashes_into_learner_driver_s_parked_car___watch_the_York_man_s_video_that_s_taking_the_internet_by_storm_____/

Good to see he was almost unhurt but not long ago in York outside Terry's (as was) a female cyclist hit a parked car and died.  There was also a tragedy when a time-trialler hit a caravan stopped on the A63 near Hull.  He'd been cycling head down 'in an aerodynamic position'.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #285 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:52:28 am »
Seem to remember an audax or sportive a couple of years ago where a cyclist had gone 50m and was so engrossed in his Garmin that he hit a car and had to quit. The trick is to look ahead but most of us have managed that (I hope). As a ski-ing instructor once told me, looking down at your feet won't make you ski any better. So with cycling, looking ahead is going to pay dividends

Si_Co

« Reply #286 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:03:04 pm »
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/13059984.Cyclist_smashes_into_learner_driver_s_parked_car___watch_the_York_man_s_video_that_s_taking_the_internet_by_storm_____/

Nobody here would be so stupid as to do such a thing and end up with a fractured skull would they? Not to a car that's parked in the same place every day on the road they live on, would they? Oh,no sirree....

<wanders away whistling>

« Reply #287 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:38:54 pm »
...engrossed in his Garmin....

I'm making this post to remind myself that anything longer than a brief glance is Too Long. Scared.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #288 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:17:18 pm »
Seem to remember an audax or sportive a couple of years ago where a cyclist had gone 50m and was so engrossed in his Garmin that he hit a car and had to quit. The trick is to look ahead but most of us have managed that (I hope). As a ski-ing instructor once told me, looking down at your feet won't make you ski any better. So with cycling, looking ahead is going to pay dividends

On the last LEL a chap of FOREIGN disposition forgot which side of the road he was supposed to be riding on when leaving a control, discovering the error of his ways courtesy of an oncoming Corsa.  The driver of which being not entirely blameless due to his not having switched on his lights in spite of it being midnight.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #289 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »

Nobody here would be so stupid as to do such a thing and end up with a fractured skull would they? Not to a car that's parked in the same place every day on the road they live on, would they? Oh,no sirree....

<wanders away whistling>

I believe that #2 son is the only one in my immediate family not to have done this.
Or maybe he's the only one not to have fessed up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #290 on: 01 June, 2015, 02:06:38 pm »
Well not in broad daylight - I rode into the back of a parked van, in pitch dark, heavy fog. Van was parked on double-yellow lines (which I knew were there and hence was not expecting a parked vehicle). I was going very slowly though, on account of the conditions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #291 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
I'm feeling left out.  I don't think I've ever ridden into a stationary vehicle.   ???

This is probably my fault for doing too many miles on cycles that let me see where I'm going without contortion.

Van was parked on double-yellow lines (which I knew were there and hence was not expecting a parked vehicle).

Bit of a rookie mistake, that...  :)

« Reply #292 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:27:10 pm »
For my part, I HAVE ridden into a stationery vehicle, but that was only because my handlebars stopped being handlebars rather unexpectedly. It was sufficient of an experience that I have no need to repeat the same.

« Reply #293 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »
For my part, I HAVE ridden into a stationery vehicle, but that was only because my handlebars stopped being handlebars rather unexpectedly. It was sufficient of an experience that I have no need to repeat the same.
Would that have been a Staples van ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #294 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »
Oh dear. Rather dazing experience, y'see.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #295 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:00:51 pm »
I once took the option of parked Transit over wheels of overtaking tipper. Broken collar bone (diagnosed twelve years later).
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #296 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:27:52 pm »
Never ridden into a stationary vehicle, but have slid under the wheels of one at a junction.

« Reply #297 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:35:54 am »
Having learned to ride on bikes with steel wheels and rim brakes I acquired a permanent fear of oncoming stationary vehicles. It has never really left me.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #298 on: 02 June, 2015, 07:16:09 am »
Having learned to ride on bikes with steel wheels and rim brakes I acquired a permanent fear of oncoming stationary vehicles. It has never really left me.

That's interesting.  I wonder if those of us that grew up with braking systems that didn't really work in dry conditions and were merely for decoration in the wet developed a more pragmatic style of riding, as opposed to those who grew up in the world of V and disk brakes? 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #299 on: 02 June, 2015, 07:25:22 am »

That's interesting.  I wonder if those of us that grew up with braking systems that didn't really work in dry conditions and were merely for decoration in the wet developed a more pragmatic style of riding, as opposed to those who grew up in the world of V and disk brakes?

It's quite possible that that, combined with a basic knowledge of physics is what makes me so shit at descending. More like, I just get scared, tbh.