Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281006 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It's been rather well-ventilated here today. We've been watching the waves crash over the lighthouse on the breakwater and boats struggling to get in and out of the harbour  :o

Oh dear, I have a colleague offshore, due back today.   She was not hopeful last night  :(
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Guy

• Retired
Is my memory fading, or is today really the first day this month I'll have a tail wind home?

I'd almost forgotten what a west wind felt like.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Usually wet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our posh Oregon Scientific indoor and outdoor thermometer/hygrometer is showing a 'rain' icon.

Weather does not look like rain here in Outer Londonton...

My weather station is also indicating rain!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Our weatherbricks are still indicating 'scorchio'.  Even the one barakta tried experimentally scrubbing with water half an hour ago to see if the salts would come off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David is outside observing. He's been getting cold.
He has just put on his down jacket.
My outdoor thermometer reads 16C.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Standard BRITISH thing of rate-of-change-of-weather being what matters, I suppose.  I've just closed the window I'm sitting next to as the breeze was getting chilly as the outside temperature dropped below 14C (it's nominally 23C in the room).

ElyDave

I've been wearing shorts since the clocks changed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Now I think about it, I've been able to feel my feet for at least a week.

ElyDave

Now I think about it, I've been able to feel my feet for at least a week.

I suffer reynaud's like symptoms in my feet, having spent most of the winter with either sensationless or hypersensitive toes, they are now pain free but shedding the dead skin like nobody's business, looks like I'm unravelling

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Eww . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

Try it from my end, far more than ewwww.

I have a choice of painful feet from about November to March, or a winter on the turbo trainer.

First day this year I’ve put the washing out to dry.
Currently enjoying an al fresco beer.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Raining here now. Big drops too!

Forecast was for sun all day but rain later this evening, so at 2PM I started to put new felt on the shed roof I stripped yesterday. So of course it began to piss it down for an hour as I got underway.  ::-)

At least it has dried enough for me to finish most of the job - just need to finish nailing the edges down.

Just checked the forecast for Monday. 2C and sleet  :facepalm:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I don't think outdoor sex is likely on the first of May this year, unless you take a blanket.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Speaking as someone who has watched the sunrise on May morning something like twenty-five times over the last thirty-five years, I can assure you it rarely, if ever, is warm enough for that sort of activity!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Unusual thunderstorm last night: rolled in around 9 pm and stayed for two hours.  Not much rain, no noticeable wind, but monster flashes and crashes, fortunately over the hills a couple of K to the south.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

Bloody hell it's windy

I've just moved a small potted plant inside to stop it blowing away, a recently potted bonsai into the greenhouse to stop it blowing out of its pot, and another down to the sheltered lower layer of the display bench.  Hardwood cuttings seem to be rocking in their compost

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
On my daily perambulation with the dog through the park, I have noticed that the oak leaves are coming out (just) before the ash.

Doesn't the rhyme go something like
Oak before ash, we'll get a splash,
Ash before oak, we'll get a soak?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
Twas windy enough this AM to warrant the closure of the big bridge over the river Orwel. Cue lots of traffic and well, queues through the centre of Ipswich. They re-opened the bridge at 7:20 so major chaos was mostly avoided.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Friday: Northamptonium would have downpours and northerly wind on Monday - great, appointment at 10:50 hours a.m. in the morning and 2 miles to walk (North) to be sure of a bus.
Saturday: still the same.
Sunday: rain might not get here until lunchtime; still wind and max. 5 deg. C.
Monday: no rain all day; temp. at 10.5 deg. C in p.m.
So pleased that I had a rucksack with all the gear in it.
Went to Malt Shovel to celebrate.

What would we do without weather forecasts.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I drove home fro Skipton yesterday. Cold, horrible day, but at least the rain didn't start until I was in the environs of Cambridge.

The lowest temperature the car recorded during the day was 5°C, just south of Chelmsford. That's absolutely dreadful.

Sunny again today, but not warm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.