Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 355946 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1500 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:03:12 pm »
I seem to be planning my DIY Audaxes purely as an excuse to venture out into unchartered tile land.

Yesterday's 200 netted me 50 new squares and upped my cluster by 96.

I went out into North Leicestershire and found some great lanes in the process.

I'm pleased that you like my back yard but you really need to sort that tile north of Thrussington!

I try to avoid doing in/out spikes so ended up on the A46 for it.  I have done a few TTs on that stretch and it never seemed that bad but it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience when I didn't 'have' to be on it.

I should have been doing a 200k up your way yesterday to grab some tiles but the general drabness of the weather killed whatever motivation I had :(

simonp

« Reply #1501 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:28:06 pm »

Three routes I've plotted - looks like I'll miss two tiles, so some adjustment required. The routes to Bath are both rather hilly.

« Reply #1502 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:46:49 pm »
Statshunter does a better job of showing what your planned route will achieve:

« Reply #1503 on: 09 November, 2020, 02:03:10 pm »
I seem to be planning my DIY Audaxes purely as an excuse to venture out into unchartered tile land.

Yesterday's 200 netted me 50 new squares and upped my cluster by 96.

I went out into North Leicestershire and found some great lanes in the process.

I'm pleased that you like my back yard but you really need to sort that tile north of Thrussington!

I try to avoid doing in/out spikes so ended up on the A46 for it.  I have done a few TTs on that stretch and it never seemed that bad but it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience when I didn't 'have' to be on it.

I should have been doing a 200k up your way yesterday to grab some tiles but the general drabness of the weather killed whatever motivation I had :(
Yes, I'm well aware of that tile!  Like you, the combination of not wanting to do dead end turns and not wanting to ride on the A46 has left it unbagged so far.   It will become a much higher priority if/when it limits my max square.   
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1504 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:48:58 am »
I also like the Strava interface with VV plugin and again, it is probably the only reason that I pay for Strava.  you can see clearly here the yellow squares which would be gained by my planned route

strava tool

Chris N

« Reply #1505 on: 10 November, 2020, 09:29:32 am »
Sub goal: collect all the accessible sections of the Fosse Way.

ALL of them?  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1506 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:37:48 pm »
Around here it's mostly a major road with a Roman approach to hills and a liberal assortment of "HIGH RISK CRASH ROUTE" signs.  It featured on a few of this summer's tilebagging expeditions.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1507 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:53:24 pm »
I also like the Strava interface with VV plugin and again, it is probably the only reason that I pay for Strava.  you can see clearly here the yellow squares which would be gained by my planned route

strava tool

Cute, but not enough for me to fork out dosh for it.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1508 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:02:58 pm »
I download the .kml with tiles-not-yet-visited from Veloviewer, import that into Garmin's Basecamp and plan my route there. No fancy colouring of the squares the route passes through, but it's adequate.

« Reply #1509 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:20:46 pm »
Statshunter does a better job of showing what your planned route will achieve:

I can get the red, blue and green tiles and can suck in a GPX but how do you get the yellow tiles?

« Reply #1510 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:42:46 pm »
Settings menu, top left of the map screen.

« Reply #1511 on: 11 November, 2020, 08:10:15 am »

strava tool

Agreed.   I'm currently on a two month free trial, & for me the routeplanner is the only real subs interest - but not for £48pa.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

« Reply #1512 on: 11 November, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

strava tool

Agreed.   I'm currently on a two month free trial, & for me the routeplanner is the only real subs interest - but not for £48pa.
Is anyone else finding the strava route planner often wants to send you down one way streets and roundabouts the wrong way ? Is there an “avoid head on collisions” setting I have missed ?

« Reply #1513 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:01:12 am »
Is anyone else finding the strava route planner often wants to send you down one way streets and roundabouts the wrong way ? Is there an “avoid head on collisions” setting I have missed ?

Good spot.  Just did a quick test - it picked a route the wrong way down one-way street through middle of town.   ???
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1514 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:17:05 am »

Good spot.  Just did a quick test - it picked a route the wrong way down one-way street through middle of town.   ???

Yes, but I live in a country where most one way streets say "uitgezonder fietsen", so it doesn't matter...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Davef

« Reply #1515 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:22:01 am »

Yes, but I live in a country where most one way streets say "uitgezonder fietsen", so it doesn't matter...

J
... and with anticlockwise roundabouting too. I would have put it down to brexit confusion but it is only some roundabouts.

« Reply #1516 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:26:54 am »
I think the anticlockwise roundabouts is where there's a path/ cyclepath?

« Reply #1517 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:43:19 am »
Yeah, I get the wrong way on roundabouts thing too.   Seems to happen on most of them cyclepaths or not. I've also been caught out by the wrong way street thing once too.   

Makes you wonder if the routing algorithm actually works backwards from the end of the route towards the start. 

I've never been inconvenienced by it enough though to bother raising a support ticket or owt.

« Reply #1518 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:43:39 am »

To be honest, there's probably a psychological element going on here: Those that haven't paid Strava the ~£50pa want to convince themselves that the offering is bad and those that have HAVE paid, want to convince themselves they've paid for something good.

I do pay for premium, so with the caveat in mind, I will say I find the route planner (with VV addin) to be excellent for tiling rides. The underlying mapping knows about one-way streets and so will only send you down them in unusual circumstances (e.g. you force it, or if the mapping indicates a cycle lane contraflow).

When on a ride, I've never had it suggested that I go a wrong way round a roundabout - though I couldn't guarantee this is ensured in the Strava layer or it could be being patched up when Garmin translates the route into a .fit for display on the device.

Davef

« Reply #1519 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:52:38 am »

To be honest, there's probably a psychological element going on here: Those that haven't paid Strava the ~£50pa want to convince themselves that the offering is bad and those that have HAVE paid, want to convince themselves they've paid for something good.

I do pay for premium, so with the caveat in mind, I will say I find the route planner (with VV addin) to be excellent for tiling rides. The underlying mapping knows about one-way streets and so will only send you down them in unusual circumstances (e.g. you force it, or if the mapping indicates a cycle lane contraflow).

When on a ride, I've never had it suggested that I go a wrong way round a roundabout - though I couldn't guarantee this is ensured in the Strava layer or it could be being patched up when Garmin translates the route into a .fit for display on the device.
It is definitely in the strava routing and happens pre upload to garmin and I would say it happens on about 10% of roundabouts. Some do have cycle paths near by but not always and it is routing (in blue) round the road not the path. Here is an example from last week. I have marked cycle paths in red. I was heading north. Ps I happily pay my subscription to strava.

Davef

« Reply #1520 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:02:04 am »
And here is an example of a one way st with no cycle path in Bedford (I was coming from north)

« Reply #1521 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:02:29 am »
It is definitely in the strava routing and happens pre upload to garmin and I would say it happens on about 10% of roundabouts. Some do have cycle paths near by but not always and it is routing (in blue) round the road not the path. Here is an example from last week. I have marked cycle paths in red. I was heading north. Ps I happily pay my subscription to strava.

Yuck, that's annoying. As it happening to you in the Strava app but not me in the Garmin, I guess I am getting lucky that the fit conversion is fixing it, then.

Could raise tickets to Strava but there's a high chance they will just blame the underlying mapping rather that algo. "But it's a roundabout, of course it is one way!" is not the most easily understood argument by American developers!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1522 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:03:38 am »
Strava is an American product, and contra-flow riding on one-way streets is common (and even encouraged) in much of the US. I’m surprised by the roundabout thing. I live in the countryside and rarely encounter them on any of my rides, but I can’t say I’ve ever encountered the issue - and I’ve been a paying member of Strava pretty much since Day 1.

« Reply #1523 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:10:14 am »
Here's another example, this is near Syston from Sunday's square bagging route.

I was traveling west to east.  It directed me the right way on the first roundabout, and the wrong way on the second.  No cyclepaths on either.

« Reply #1524 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:18:19 am »
Those roundabouts are fractionally offset.  It has given you the shortest route.