Author Topic: One Hundred Push Ups Challenge  (Read 114229 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: One Hundred Push Ups Challenge
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:47:20 pm »
*eep*

Strength of Kitten, I channel you!

better try...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Che

« Reply #26 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:47:51 pm »
Or hang around top triathletes; gorgeous!  :-[

True this is.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #27 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »
Or hang around top triathletes; gorgeous!  :-[

True this is.

Strong true, but a little skinny for my taste
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #28 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »

But strong gurls are sexy*  :P

I have strong legs. I'm half strong, half pathetic.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jacomus

« Reply #29 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »

Easily captured by my asterisked point :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #30 on: 07 November, 2008, 01:02:54 pm »

But that's the important half  ;)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #31 on: 07 November, 2008, 01:17:37 pm »
 I'm up for this, I am off with a bad back at the moment but having got fatter this year and need to improve my core muscle tone [my six pack of fifteen years ago has long turned to a beer keg] ::-)

I used to be able to do over 100 in my Judo days but not now.
"Don't stop pedalling"

Jezza

« Reply #32 on: 07 November, 2008, 01:18:52 pm »
I've just remembered an incident at school when I was about 11. There was a big pillow fight in one of the dorms that got a bit out of hand (high jinks, horseplay, that kind of thing). A pillow exploded, a window got broken and one kid got concussion. Anyway, we all ended up in big trouble, and were told to report to the main rugby field next morning at 7.00am for 'jankers'.

I'd never heard of 'jankers' before but it didn't sound much fun. A kind of combination of 'juvenile detention', 'clanking' and 'fetters'. The conventional term at the school was fatigues, which was pretty self-explanatory. Through the freezing mist loped the foreboding figure of the headmaster, who was a giant. He got us all lined up, arms outstretched, and then made us do small arm circles. On and on it went, until arms began to droop. Then we had to lie down in the nice cold mud and do 20 press ups. Few managed this, and those who failed got sent on a run round the field. Back they staggered in time to join us for 20 sit ups. Then some horrific manoeuvres called burpees, which were agonizing. Up for star jumps. More press ups. Twice round the field again. Then we lay on our backs and had to hold our feet 2" off the ground, while he counted up to 30. Every time someone's feet went down, we all started again. Then we did small arm circles again - it's like having your arms unscrewed from your shoulders. It was a very sorry bunch who traipsed back up to the school for breakfast.

I was reading The Telegraph a couple of years ago, and saw my old headmaster's name in the obituaries. Turned out that before he'd gone into teaching he'd been a physical training instructor in the SBS. Suddenly it all made sense. I had to laugh, remembering his hapless undersized recruits floundering in the mud on a frozen rugby field all those years ago.  

Jacomus

« Reply #33 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:13:10 pm »
I've just remembered an incident at school when I was about 11. There was a big pillow fight in one of the dorms that got a bit out of hand (high jinks, horseplay, that kind of thing). A pillow exploded, a window got broken and one kid got concussion. Anyway, we all ended up in big trouble, and were told to report to the main rugby field next morning at 7.00am for 'jankers'.

I'd never heard of 'jankers' before but it didn't sound much fun. A kind of combination of 'juvenile detention', 'clanking' and 'fetters'. The conventional term at the school was fatigues, which was pretty self-explanatory. Through the freezing mist loped the foreboding figure of the headmaster, who was a giant. He got us all lined up, arms outstretched, and then made us do small arm circles. On and on it went, until arms began to droop. Then we had to lie down in the nice cold mud and do 20 press ups. Few managed this, and those who failed got sent on a run round the field. Back they staggered in time to join us for 20 sit ups. Then some horrific manoeuvres called burpees, which were agonizing. Up for star jumps. More press ups. Twice round the field again. Then we lay on our backs and had to hold our feet 2" off the ground, while he counted up to 30. Every time someone's feet went down, we all started again. Then we did small arm circles again - it's like having your arms unscrewed from your shoulders. It was a very sorry bunch who traipsed back up to the school for breakfast.

I was reading The Telegraph a couple of years ago, and saw my old headmaster's name in the obituaries. Turned out that before he'd gone into teaching he'd been a physical training instructor in the SBS. Suddenly it all made sense. I had to laugh, remembering his hapless undersized recruits floundering in the mud on a frozen rugby field all those years ago.  

Great story!

I used to have a D&T teacher who was ex-SAS, who used to consider 'yomping' on Dartmoor with a rucksack with 40kgs of weights in it "fun".

He was an excellent teacher, and a seriously good bloke - just had a slightly misconstrued idea of what constituted 'proper exercise'!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:24:23 pm »
Right! Just back from the gym. I was going to circuits class anyway so I went in early and tried.

17. Seventeen! That's a really annoying number - a bit rubbish, and yet enough that I have to do the hard option next week!

My arms were shaking like jelly afterwards, and my 'circuits' press ups had to be on my knees!

And Kirst - osteoporosis! Use your arms! And who knows when you'll get stuck in a burning building and need to get out that high window...

(Oh, and I want to say thanks to Crystal Tips for this - she told me about it last night and it got my obsessive brain going!)

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:38:29 pm »
I am, and always have been. totally crap at press/push ups.

I managed 5. I'm going to give this a try - I really don't think I'm built to do 100 press-ups any more than I'm built to run a marathon. We shall see.

« Reply #36 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:43:08 pm »
Cool! Have you registered on the log site? I don't suppose there's any need to - I just like filling in forms, really...

Fi

« Reply #37 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:52:01 pm »
You're a terrible lot. I'm fat, unfit, lack upper body strength and have arthritis in my right wrist, but I thought I'd have a go. My arms tensed, I got my arse in the air and titled forward onto my nose, which now hurts, but from which, you will be relieved to know (ha ha ha), no blood flows.

« Reply #38 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:59:17 pm »
Sorry! Hope your nose recovers! Try it on your knees?

Fi

« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
I manged six on my knees and knuckles, but shall try it again when I've lost half  a stone - it's what I think of as the crucial half, it makes an enormous difference. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:03:50 pm »
Jezza, all that talk of burpees, star jumps, press ups and sit ups made my eyes water. Burpees at morning break. I'm sure it helped form my character!

I've not tried out how many press-ups I can do yet today and I'm not going to now as I'm just back from a huge lunch.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Jacomus

« Reply #41 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:15:02 pm »
Jezza, all that talk of burpees, star jumps, press ups and sit ups made my eyes water. Burpees at morning break. I'm sure it helped form my character!

I've not tried out how many press-ups I can do yet today and I'm not going to now as I'm just back from a huge lunch.  :thumbsup:

I see, is that "huge lunch" a little like a certain "business phone call" ???  :demon: ;D

« Reply #42 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:26:54 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #43 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:28:40 pm »

I see, is that "huge lunch" a little like a certain "business phone call" ???  :demon: ;D

I think one follows the other...  ;D

Now - let me find a nice flat place to go for a ride.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #44 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »
19.  Harder than I remember from when I was doing circuits and weights twice a week for rowing :(

« Reply #45 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:35:38 pm »
I'm slightly disappointed that I found them so hard (I was struggling after about 18) as I do exercises at the gym that should be working most of the muscles involved. I can already detect that this is not so.

« Reply #46 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:38:51 pm »
I don't know about you, but my arms are still all wobbly. By next Friday I'll have to be spoonfed.

« Reply #47 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:09:34 pm »
The guy who runs the circuits that I go to does a particularly nasty set of pressups.

hands shoulder width apart, feet together.
5 pressups
move each hand a couple of inches together, and spread the feet a bit
5 pressups
5 pressups
5 pressups
5 pressups
5 pressups

you end up the your thumbs crossed and the feet really wide apart.  Pressups in that position HURT.   (I can feel it pulling my shoulder open again where I tore the ligaments back in 2004)

« Reply #48 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:23:37 pm »
I'd be astonished if I could manage 10.

Actually, I'd be surprised if I could manage any as after hurting my left wrist a couple of years back I can't actually bend it back fully any more. Perhaps I could do some on my knuckles, although that sounds painful!

« Reply #49 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »
It recommends that I start at Week 3. Day 1 involves 5 sets  ???
I doubt if I could do 5 sets - or at any rate the last set ("max") will be extremely brief.