Author Topic: Battling the bottle.  (Read 62919 times)

Re: Battling the bottle.
« Reply #50 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:38:28 pm »
... feel a lot better, have more energy, can cycle faster, am sleeping better, have dropped half a stone, how much I haven't spent on wine/beer and how I can't understand why the demon drink was such a large part of my life in the first place

Most if not all of those aims would be addressed by just cutting down, laying off alcohol prior to Audaxes etc. Stopping totally is a drastic step. The 40 days would be a good way of finding out if it is even necessary. We only live once and if by and large you enjoy your drinking, have a good social life with alcohol involved, do yourself and those around you no harm, then why feel that you need to consider stopping?

For me there was no half-way house but for most people there probably is.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 17 August, 2008, 10:12:34 pm »
I smell BS when people say they enjoy the taste of spirits. How can you enjoy something that tastes like poison? Next you'll be telling me that meths tastes pleasant. There's a reason alcohol tastes bad, it's because it's poisonous.

Enjoying the effects of a drug, now that's a different matter.
Some people don't enjoy the effects of drugs at all.

As for the taste of spirits, it's an acquired taste isn't it?
Who actually enjoys their first cigarette?

I'm probably not adding anything to the debate at all here but I don't drink Mon - Thurs now. We used to buy wine by the box but realised we were probably drinking quite a lot each night. We knocked the boxes on the head and then the next step was to stop drinking through the week - merely as an aid to getting fitter for going on holidays but has continued and is probably not a bad thing.

To be honest, I do like the chilling, slightly numbing effects of the first couple of drinks on a Friday night, but if someone could invent 0% booze that tasted the same as alcoholic drinks I'd quite happily drink that. Unfortunately they haven't. I drink not to get drunk but because I like the taste.

I have massive respect for people giving up, it's so difficult in this country.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDHl84hPKE0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jDHl84hPKE0&rel=1</a> sums it up perfectly. 6mins11 in - 'Tak a Drink!'
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

bobajobrob

« Reply #52 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:09:33 pm »
I smell BS when people say they enjoy the taste of spirits

That didn't come out quite right, and sounds a bit harsh. That wasn't the tone I was aiming for. I think what I meant to say is that, yes it's an acquired taste. The first time you try spirits it makes you gag, and I've never managed to acquire a taste for them. Even wine tastes bad to me. Beer and cider, however, I have acquired a taste for.

Rapples

« Reply #53 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:25:42 pm »
I think what I meant to say is that, yes it's an acquired taste. The first time you try spirits it makes you gag, and I've never managed to acquire a taste for them.

Well lucky you, they have the ability to inject serious amounts of alcohol into your bloodstream alamingly quickly.

As someone who adores neat scotch and brandy,( not together I hasten to add), I know not to drink it at home!

Although, I can stop drinking I find it very hard.  I am probably bordering on alcoholism, it probably depends on your definition.  Once I had made my mind up to stop smoking I found it relatively easy I think.

bobajobrob

« Reply #54 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:36:42 pm »
Although, I can stop drinking I find it very hard.  I am probably bordering on alcoholism, it probably depends on your definition.

Same here. I drink 50+ units per week, which is way too much. I recently tried to stop and managed 3 days only :( Will try again.

Rapples

« Reply #55 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:42:54 pm »
The stupid thing is as Hummers said upthread, when you wake up after not drinking you feel much better, after a few days you think why the hell do I ever drink.

However alcohol takes away your willpower, couple that with social pressure like the clip above Tak a drink. and I stand no chance :o :o

bobajobrob

« Reply #56 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:03:49 pm »
I'm on the wagon again. Have managed one day so far. Hey, don't knock it, it's unheard of for me not to drink on a Friday. My current strategy involves drinking caffeine, smoking tabs and playing video games to keep my mind occupied and not thinking about beer. I should probably do more cycling too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
I'm on the wagon again. Have managed one day so far. Hey, don't knock it, it's unheard of me not to drink on a Friday. My current strategy involves drinking caffeine, smoking tabs and playing video games to keep my mind occupied and not thinking about beer. I should probably do more cycling too.

Good Luck!
A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step...

Treewheeler

« Reply #58 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
It was sad day that by chance Hummers found me slumped in a Southsea street crying and wailing 'Oh woe is me alas I am drunk... again...'
 It shook me up and I didn't touch the stuff for nearly a month until forced to by a loose woman in the Sahara desert. (really it's true!)
 I reckon its all a waste of money pouring it down my throat but it makes me sleep (although I have to wake up to pee at 2.30am)
And... it takes the pain away from my muscles as my job is physical and I am small and weak.
 My limit is low (thank God!) and so I rarely get drunk as when I do I go to pieces over imaginary slights and self generated depression. Its disgusting to see and not nice for me either.
 However... I really did enjoy 'not' drinking... Felt better, slept better and felt morally better.
 There, my tuppenny quote for you.

border-rider

« Reply #59 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:55:47 pm »
It'll be 3 weeks on the wagon for me on Sunday

I even survived my mother staying last week  :)

bobajobrob

« Reply #60 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:28:33 pm »
Good Luck!
A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step...

Thank you. Have made the decision that things need to change. My drinking is verging dangerously close to alcoholism and it's slowly and progressively ruining me physically, emotionally and financially.

I get terrible beer cravings and the off license is dangerously close. I can be there and back and have a beer open within 5 minutes, before I've had chance to take a step back and see the cravings for what they really are (i.e. drug addiction).

I'm just going to take it one day at a time and not get too upset if there any minor setbacks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #61 on: 23 August, 2008, 02:54:55 pm »
I don't usually preach but I rather like the
'Be strong and of good courage'
quote from somewhere in the bible.

Be strong,
we'll he here to help.
H

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 23 August, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
I sometimes have up to 7 or 8 single malts in my drinks cabinet, mostly in the winter time.  Some of these bottles last several years (unless Jaded and Matt come to dinner).  However, I never drink whisky in a pub.

Now that was an evening!

I remember it well...

I don't drink whisky in a pub either - although I did in student days - doing the Royal Mile pub crawl in whiskies.
It is simpler than it looks.

Tiger

« Reply #63 on: 26 August, 2008, 11:40:37 am »
I gave up for 3 days last week. It was quite successful although failed the Friday night test.
Now pursuing a moderation approach.

« Reply #64 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:25:21 pm »
Working hard for a week in Scotland we brought a friend along for his expertise in valuations. He was also useful in insisting on a proper lunch each day, otherwise I would have been out-voted (cos I don't get a vote) and forced to work through.

The downside was that he is a four-pint lunch man. Further, he regards early evening as a proper time to serve G&T, with top-ups; and dinner without wine is anathema to him. Also he'd brought his own bottle of Grants for nightcaps. I shall confess that, to my shame, I couldn't keep up, but still needed to dry out last week.

rae

« Reply #65 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:39:15 pm »
The downside was that he is a four-pint lunch man. 

Cripes, that would have me in an incapable state all afternoon.   I don't drink at lunchtime, it wastes half the day as you're not fit for anything.  I generally cut out all booze Monday to Friday unless there is some work event on, in which case I relapse for that evening.   We'll share a bottle of red each week-end evening, if there is a lot to talk about or we have friends round, then it may extend to a bottle each, but that is pretty rare. 

Average week - 1.5 bottles of red - 15 or so units
Bad week - 2.5 bottles of red - 25 or so units.

Not really a problem.   I've cut it out for weeks at a time (when training for the Etape) and noticed no discernable difference.

« Reply #66 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:45:17 pm »
I would imagine that everybody is different. Much of the whole booze thing is psychological anyway.

About 5 or 6 years ago I decided that going down the pub every night and never getting into bed sober was a Bad Thing. So I quit for a while.

I was nervous about it, but soon realised how easy it was. I also broke the association with beer and fun. I always loved going to a pub at lunchtime to sink a few pints and read the newspapers. I now realise I just like pubs. I go to the pub pretty much every lunchtime now to read the papers. But I drink coffee. I enjoy it just as much. I have absolutely no desire to drink alcohol in that situation.

Sure, I go mental sometimes - I consumed a huge volume of beer this weekend, but now normality has resumed, I have no desire to drink. None at all. I might even go down the pub tonight and drink blackcurrent and soda.

It's that psychological bar that needs to be jumped - once you've done it, everything is easy.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #67 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:49:19 pm »
Although, I can stop drinking I find it very hard.  I am probably bordering on alcoholism, it probably depends on your definition.

Same here. I drink 50+ units per week, which is way too much. I recently tried to stop and managed 3 days only :( Will try again.

I'm on the other sde of this.  I find it really hard to drink more than one or two, my safety valve is clearly set very lightly.  I probably drink around 50 units a year, for no reason other than this is what works for me.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

bobajobrob

« Reply #68 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:44:16 pm »
Epic fail today. I got stressed out and downed 4 beers. Still, two steps forward, etc...

I'm on the other sde of this.  I find it really hard to drink more than one or two, my safety valve is clearly set very lightly.  I probably drink around 50 units a year, for no reason other than this is what works for me.

50 units is about my normal minimum. It can be anything up to 100. You're one of the lucky ones, and long may you stay in control. Some people, myself included, have tremendous difficulty controlling their intake. For those people, the best way to control it is to abstain completely. As Jezza said, one is too many and 1000 is not enough.

Have just registered alcohol-forum.org. I'm going to build it into a self help and support site for people with alcohol and drug problems (yeah, I've had those too). Have been thinking for a while that I want to do something to help other people, and running a forum looks like fun. Plus it will give me something very positive to channel my time and nervous energy into while I'm on the wagon :thumbsup:

bobajobrob

« Reply #69 on: 29 August, 2008, 02:39:14 pm »
Alcohol Forum is now online :thumbsup: Oooh, Shiny!

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions, and anyone who wants to sign up and post is more than welcome. You don't need to have an alcohol problem ;)

Until then, it'll just be me talking to myself. Nothing new there, then.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:28:18 pm »
I have popped in under a slightly different name.
Activation email fell into BT's spambox buggrit!

bobajobrob

« Reply #71 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
Hooray, my first proper member! :thumbsup:

I think it's going to be very quite over there for a while until google indexes it. In the mean time I'll add some useful information and links 'n' stuff.

bobajobrob

« Reply #72 on: 30 August, 2008, 02:44:01 am »
Epic fail again today. Four beers and a bottle of wine after work, then off to a club and another 4 beers and 4 vodka redbulls.

Need to stop treating my body like a dustbin.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #73 on: 30 August, 2008, 10:12:49 am »
This is not good.
One day at a time.
Start again. Don't start with another drink. You will feel like 5h1t today whatever you do or don't do.
Have a large lemonade and get out on the bike.
I've just sent partner out on a bike ride...
I am thinking of you.

bobajobrob

« Reply #74 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:52:37 pm »
I had a great time last night. That's part of the problem, I associate alcohol with having a good time. Have felt a bit spaced out today due the hangover and having only about 4 hour's sleep. It's funny how "I'm never drinking again" (this morning) turns into "I could murder a bottle of wine" over the course of the day. Must be strong... am going to cook dinner for my parents and try not to think about booze.