Author Topic: Beyond the Dyke - 200km - 30th September  (Read 1547 times)

Beyond the Dyke - 200km - 30th September
« on: 15 August, 2023, 10:30:22 am »

Everybody is invited to enter the next Beacon RCC Audax, "Beyond the Dyke" on Saturday 30th September

https://audax.uk/event-details/10262-beyond_the_dyke

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34675201

Beyond the Dyke is the resurrection of the once popular event organised by Beacon member, Alan Mason. The route crosses Offa’s Dyke with a short loop into Mid-Wales before heading back to Worcestershire.

Taking a classic route along mostly unclassified, quiet C and B class roads, we leave Belbroughton 8 am, across some undulations to our first ‘free control’ at Craven Arms before heading through the valley floor towards Knucklas and its magnificent viaduct and across Offa’s Dyke. From here-on there is a brief taste of Mid-Wales before taking a sharp turn towards the sleepy mark town of Presteigne in The Marches. It is the a gentle ride to Tenbury and through the sublime Teme Valley.

The route isn’t especially hilly although there some notable climbs around the side of Brown Clee, out of Knucklas and Fetterlocks. The route attracts 1.75 Audax Altitude Awards Points.

Autumn Beyond the Dyke is run by the Beacon RCC for Audax UK.

• Start/Finish: Belbroughton Recreation Centre
• Controls: Craven Arms; Presteigne; Tenbury
• Information Controls: Cleobury North; Dolau; Stanford Bridge.

E Brevet will be available

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Beyond the Dyke - 200km - 30th September
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2023, 03:11:02 pm »
Having not ridden a 200km since returning from France, I am down to ride this tomorrow. Perfect way to put pressure on myself to keep my RRTY going. (month 11 of RRTY series 6)

E brevet downloaded ready to go. Weather forecast looking promising (dry 9C to 16C, southerly winds). Just need to ensure my bike is ready to ride. Sunset tomorrow is 18:50 in Belbroughton a generous 10 hours and 50 minutes after the start time, so emergency lights only for me.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2023, 03:25:31 pm »
Having not ridden a 200km since returning from France, I am down to ride this tomorrow. Perfect way to put pressure on myself to keep my RRTY going. (month 11 of RRTY series 6)

Cutting it fine. Bon chance!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2023, 10:31:20 pm »

Cutting it fine. Bon chance!
Indeed quite a few busy weekends in September. still no reason to fail a 200. Although the morning forecast for 4 hours of heavy rain could have been problematic, after a Friday evening forecast of dry but cloudy. As it transpired the rain did not arrive after all, and the ride was very enjoyable aside from a couple of crazy impatient drivers. Although there were also some very patient considerate drivers on some of the single track climbs.

Also thanks to the organiser and his team of helpers for an excellent event.

Eddington  127miles, 170km