Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147879 times)

Re: womens record
« Reply #100 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:13:28 am »

At the risk of upsetting LWaB, nice one Kajsa!
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

red marley

« Reply #101 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:19:40 am »
I regret posting that 'at the risk of...' comment and polluting this thread. I know all of us at YACF wish all of the competitors all the best.

I do find Kajsa's effort surprisingly uplifting. Along with the optimism of a new start and she embodies the inclusive spirit of Billie without the negative aspects that competition can sometimes bring.

« Reply #102 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:17:08 am »
Agreed - I much prefer following it now, to that of Steves, in part because of my discomfort that people are still paying for Steve to do what he is doing without any clear idea of what it is.

Despite the views of some that 100 miles a day "isn't much", it certainly is a supreme effort for Kajsa, and one she freely admits to. And it's accessible and dare I say "human" in a way that Steve's isn't.  That may well just reflect their individual characters and my reactions to them of course. :)

Go Kajsa   :thumbsup: (not that she look here!  :))
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #103 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:35:03 pm »
Agreed - I much prefer following it now, to that of Steves, in part because of my discomfort that people are still paying for Steve to do what he is doing without any clear idea of what it is.

Despite the views of some that 100 miles a day "isn't much", it certainly is a supreme effort for Kajsa, and one she freely admits to. And it's accessible and dare I say "human" in a way that Steve's isn't.  That may well just reflect their individual characters and my reactions to them of course. :)

Go Kajsa   :thumbsup: (not that she look here!  :))

Clearly though, those who are still funding Steve are doing so of their own free will. The stats are all here to be judged and we are all adult enough to make our own judgements about the correct way to proceed.

So whilst some see Steve's continued rides as part of the record attempt, others see it as a long Audaxing 'permanent' of xx000 miles.

Whichever, I do wish Steve all the luck in the world, whatever the ultimate outcome.

The eventual transition back to 'normal' everyday life will probably be the biggest challenge, once he finishes the attempt.

Some thought needs to be dedicated to that right now, by those around him, as it will not be an overnight change by any means.

Chris S

« Reply #104 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »
Meanwhile, back to the women's record; Kajsa is doing loops in Notts  :thumbsup:.

hillbilly

« Reply #105 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »
Tired legs after such a short space of time? 

That kind of statement doesn't read like someone adequately prepared for a year long challenge.  100 miles a day isn't that far, given the context.  I expect she will cycle herself into form, but the statement does make me wonder if her body will rebel. 

Most randonneurs will be familiar with the fatigue that sets in if you aren't conditioned to long rides, particularly if you are riding further than usual or you are stacking up rides one after the other.  My rule of thumb is that if you aren't conditioned, you ideally need #kms / 100 days rest between rides.  I hope she doesn't get the arse, hand, neck, feet and knee problems that can come with riding too much without building up adequately.

« Reply #106 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:38:00 pm »

That kind of statement doesn't read like someone adequately prepared for a year long challenge.  100 miles a day isn't that far, given the context. I expect she will cycle herself into form, but the statement does make me wonder if her body will rebel. 

Most randonneurs will be familiar with the fatigue that sets in if you aren't conditioned to long rides; I hope she doesn't get the arse, hand, neck, feet and knee problems that can come with riding too much without building up adequately.

There we go again - the it "isn't that far" mantra. For over 99% of the population (and probably more) it really is

hillbilly

« Reply #107 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:39:56 pm »
I included the phrase "given the context" for a reason.

It isn't that far if you are going to be claiming you have ridden the furthest of all time.  What the other 99% (or more) can achieve is irrelevant. 

It's akin to saying running a 12 second 100m sprint is world beating because most people couldn't do it, when such a time is mediocre amongst professional athletes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »

Is that necessarily a problem?  I'm nowhere near Kajsa's league, but I get tired legs after a couple of hours of riding.  But I can keep going all day (and again on subsequent days) with them, they just feel tired.  Always thought it was the normal body's way of telling you you're doing something slightly stupid.

Most randonneurs will be familiar with the fatigue that sets in if you aren't conditioned to long rides; I hope she doesn't get the arse, hand, neck, feet and knee problems that can come with riding too much without building up adequately.

These things are always going to be the enemy on something like this, no matter how conditioned you might be.  (Unless you're Teethgrinder, but he appears to be a cyborg).  She's obviously given this stuff consideration in her preparation, but only time will tell.

« Reply #109 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:43:41 pm »

That kind of statement doesn't read like someone adequately prepared for a year long challenge.  100 miles a day isn't that far, given the context. I expect she will cycle herself into form, but the statement does make me wonder if her body will rebel. 

There we go again - the it "isn't that far" mantra. For over 99% of the population (and probably more) it really is

And even for those for whom 100 miles "isn't that far", doing 100 miles once - or a dozen times - is a very different prospect from doing it 300+ times.

Not entirely off topic, I recently listened to a long-format interview with Eddie Izzard about his 43 marathons in 51 days. He says that days 1 & 2 were relatively easy, but that days 3 - 10 were almost impossibly hard. However, from day 11 onwards he was surprised at how much easier it became, and was all about his body adjusting to his "new normal".  Maybe Kasja has just hit the "days 3 - 10" part of her challenge.
Eddington Number = 132

hillbilly

« Reply #110 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:53:20 pm »
It just strikes me as an odd thing to be experiencing 4 days into a record attempt, based on my own experience in the wacky world of Audax headbangery.  But no biggie.  I'm sure it will settle down into something manageable.

« Reply #111 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:53:54 pm »
And within c30 miles of Steve at this point. Who knows, when she heads off to Norfolk she might even cross paths with him. Her calendar shows a "confirmed" visit to Warmington today and a loop there tomorrow, before heading East.

« Reply #112 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:58:42 pm »
It just strikes me as an odd thing to be experiencing 4 days into a record attempt, based on my own experience.  But no biggie.  I'm sure it will settle down into something manageable.

I on the other hand, see it as normal for a challenge  ;). Where's the challenge in riding within yourself?

« Reply #113 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:59:12 pm »
Even if you regularly ride 600s, the second day is a killer. We're always tectonically slow on the second morning. You warm up.

I think she'll ride herself into fitness- she's not racing, and even at 10mph that's only 10 hours riding.
She's having enough time off the bike for recovery, and I see She has a chiropodist chiropractic on board. She'll be able to tweak bike fit and all that if any issues come up.

She'll (as they say) be reet.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #114 on: 05 January, 2016, 02:33:48 pm »
It's in many ways as much like a long cycle tour as an audax. With around 100 mpd to do she has quite a bit of time off the bike each evening.

I always find I ride myself into fitness on a longer tour, and so I would expect similar in this case. Anyway we'll all get to see as she goes on :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #115 on: 05 January, 2016, 03:44:12 pm »
And within c30 miles of Steve at this point. Who knows, when she heads off to Norfolk she might even cross paths with him. Her calendar shows a "confirmed" visit to Warmington today and a loop there tomorrow, before heading East.

When I let her know the other day she hadn't been far from Steve, her reaction was 'Cool!'
Getting there...

« Reply #116 on: 05 January, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »
And now about 5 miles apart...but destined to pass like ships in the night I expect.

« Reply #117 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »
I gather from Strava that today was ended early by a puncture. Have some sympathy for not wanting to change it in the cold and dark. I'm sure there will be a flood of people suggesting tubeless!

Interesting to hear the comparison with the Eddie Izzard interview - hopefully things will improve for Kajsa in a week or so then!

« Reply #118 on: 05 January, 2016, 11:34:05 pm »
This thread makes me slightly wistful- I am not at a point in my life where I could or would do this. But part of me would like to. Giving up a year of income and home life with all that entails is a big sacrifice. Good luck to her- I will be following her efforts :)

For once it it nice to see a difference in a female challenge- in Audax it is assumed that females are equal to males, and generally extra kudos is not given to us for completing the same challenge in the same time frame despite the fact nothing similar would be expected of the female pro cyclists. For those of you assuming the female challenge is 'easy' because it is fewer miles- think again (unless you are female).

« Reply #119 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:43:47 am »
For those of you assuming the female challenge is 'easy' because it is fewer miles- think again (unless you are female).
+ 1

I think that's why I find it a little frustrating to read negative comments before she even started. It's fantastic to see someone with so much positive energy and enthusiasm embark on the record. I really hope it has the effect Kajsa wants - to inspire people into taking up physical activity. It's certainly helped encourage me to set myself challenges for the coming year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #120 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:44:39 am »
Well fewer miles is generally easier! :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #121 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:53:38 am »
For those of you assuming the female challenge is 'easy' because it is fewer miles- think again (unless you are female).

And for those that are female (like HK), should they think again? Why?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #122 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:59:08 am »
Females don't need to change their mind, they were right first time.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #123 on: 06 January, 2016, 12:02:27 pm »
Go Kajsa!

« Reply #124 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:27:43 am »
Another day of possible path-crossing with Steve - around Littleport maybe?  :)

Oops, cue route deviation  ;D

Go both!