Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147883 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: womens record
« Reply #125 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:03:40 am »
This coming Sunday's ride, a 102 mile loop from Billericay, has a "loop manager" on Facebook, Steve Hunter. I contacted him to find out whether there was any point in my joining the ride and trying to keep up. Apparently they are scheduling in 11h 40m of riding time, with two shortish stops. Steve said that his problem was going to be the opposite of mine as he normally rides at about 18mph! I'm going to go to the start of the ride and see how I get on. If, as a group, they keep up between 11 and 12 mph, then I will probably manage to keep up. Anything faster and I will struggle.

I am a bit disappointed that I can't be there all day to see how I get on, but my duty as a grandfather intervenes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #126 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »
And now about 5 miles apart...but destined to pass like ships in the night I expect.

And again today.  Currently riding parallel tracks a few miles apart.

« Reply #127 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »
Seems Steve and Kajsa have both ridden along at least one bit of road today - through Ramsey Mereside. Paths have crossed several times but some time apart I think.

« Reply #128 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:58:38 pm »
Paging Hollywood scriptwriters, hollywood scriptwriters to the unlikely endings phone....

:demon:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #129 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »
how fast does she normally ride? perhaps she could give Steve a tow?

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #130 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »
Possible convergence at Mildenhall coming up.

This is exciting.  Got a new internet game to follow amidst the nth week of the green snots.

« Reply #131 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:27:26 pm »
Looks like she's called it a day due to the windy conditions:- from Twitter

Kajsa Tylén
‏@yearinthesaddle   Early end to today, the wind in the Fens was too hazardous for little me. Fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow!

Though she's still moving at the moment  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #132 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:31:29 pm »
And they're both in Mildenhall, about a mile apart (if trackers are to be relied on)  ;D

« Reply #133 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:35:08 pm »
Presumably, given the constraints of having to begin again where you left off the previous day, it's advantageous to limp back to your base rather than have a vehicle transfer home, in order to (a) rack up a bit of extra mileage, (b) allow you to get back on the road earlier the next day.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #134 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:41:21 pm »
Tired legs after such a short space of time? 

That kind of statement doesn't read like someone adequately prepared for a year long challenge.  100 miles a day isn't that far, given the context.  I expect she will cycle herself into form, but the statement does make me wonder if her body will rebel. 

Most randonneurs will be familiar with the fatigue that sets in if you aren't conditioned to long rides, particularly if you are riding further than usual or you are stacking up rides one after the other.  My rule of thumb is that if you aren't conditioned, you ideally need #kms / 100 days rest between rides.  I hope she doesn't get the arse, hand, neck, feet and knee problems that can come with riding too much without building up adequately.

I had the same thought. Her Strava comment after 130k on day 5 was equally disconcerting:

nearly got there, then punctured, it's too dark and cold and I'm too tired to fix it now so will have to make up the distance another time.

I wish her best of luck!
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #135 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »
Looks like she's being driven from Mildenhell to the original destination of Thetford (speed at 75kmh!).  So will be taken back to the end point in the morning to restart. Still, only 12 miles shy of her destination. I wish her tracker showed the daily (as it happens) like Steves does.

Edit:  Her "end point" has moved back further from Thetford, which ties in better with her tweet calling it a day. Mabey 25 miles short then.

And after she's stopped for the day the tracker page displays the days mileage, or kilometerage, in this case +/- 98km.

« Reply #136 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:59:50 pm »

Being dropped by her might be the thing to make Steve realise he's not riding fast enough!

« Reply #137 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:10:45 pm »

Being dropped by her might be the thing to make Steve realise he's not riding fast enough!

Yeah, because being dropped by a GURL is like TOTES HUMILIATION.

:facepalm:

Really Frank.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #138 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
Looks like she's had enough for the day because of the wind.  Can't blame her, even here in sheltered London I was caught by a gust this lunchtime that had me graze the curb.

I guess the bugger with Guiness rules is that she can not head off in the camper van and find sheltered riding.  Makes it very challenging compared to UMCA (though they have more than enough of their own foibles).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #139 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »

Really Frank.

No. He needs to ride more than twice as far each day as she does. Steve is probably not planning to ride for more than twice as many hours, therefore he should be riding at least as fast as she does.

Disclosure: I have been dropped by women many times. You get used to the rejection and humiliation after a while...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #140 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »

Really Frank.
i don't see Steve feeling humiliated by a faster female, however this might give him a impetus to push slightly harder. and they could talk.. ;)

« Reply #141 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:12:37 pm »

Really Frank.

I think you are reading something into it that I didn't put there!

Kajsa has stated what speed she intends to ride at.  From memory it is something like 11-12 mph.  There's nothing wrong with going at that speed as it is perfectly consistent with her objectives.  But if Steve isn't able to match it, it should be a cause for concern.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #142 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:31:58 pm »

Really Frank.

Kajsa has stated what speed she intends to ride at.  From memory it is something like 11-12 mph.  There's nothing wrong with going at that speed as it is perfectly consistent with her objectives.  But if Steve isn't able to match it, it should be a cause for concern.

actually, according to Strava data, her moving average currently stands at around 20kph, much slower than Steve's
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #143 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:37:17 pm »

Really Frank.

actually, according to Strava data, her moving average currently stands at around 20kph, much slower than Steve's

Yes, hence Frank's tongue-in-cheek comment about Steve.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #144 on: 07 January, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »
Yes, you (RF) are not reading something into it that I implicitly did put there!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #145 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:16:06 pm »
Paging Hollywood scriptwriters, hollywood scriptwriters to the unlikely endings phone....

:demon:

Love it :D

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #146 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:49:37 pm »
I'm really enjoying Kajsa's film clips on Facebook. Feedback is everything (and I got to hear how to pronounce her name, which was handy).

Alicia's films have been great too.

« Reply #147 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:49:51 pm »
She is doing just fine and we wish her the very best.  I wonder how many LADY AUK MEMBERS could have a crack at this record?

« Reply #148 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:34:19 am »
Tracker is live for day 8  :thumbsup:

And I see thet tracker page has been changed so that actual mileage for the day is displayed in "real time".

« Reply #149 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »
Aaannd she's off again. Presumably after having had lunch.

I'm glad you can see the current days total now - it was starting to annoy me as it's the kind of thing I like to check multiple times a day. In a not weird way.