Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230133 times)

ian

Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1575 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:13:50 pm »
I like courgettes – as the Hamster says, if they're watery, you're cooking them too long. They benefit from a bit of char, the secret is to cut them thin, then cook them hot and quick.

The exception that proves the rule is courgette sauce for pasta. It probably has a clever Italian name, like courgettolesco or something. Heat lots of olive oil and lightly fry a few halved cloves of garlic for a few minutes then discard the garlic, then add several cubed or thickly sliced courgette to the hot oil, a good sprinkle of salt, and cook slowly with occasional stirring over a low heat for 20-30 minutes until they've reduced down to an even thick sauce-like consistency, then stir through a good dose of parmesan and a ladle of pasta water. Serve with hot pasta and that's that, one of those marvellously simple meals that's hard to better.

It'll also get rid of all your courgettes.

« Reply #1576 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:05:46 pm »
If you feed them to pigs they'll miraculously turn into bacon......  (can't remember if Basil is a carnivore or not.  Too long since I've seen him  :(  )
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1577 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:14:41 pm »
If you feed them to pigs they'll miraculously turn into bacon......  (can't remember if Basil is a carnivore or not.  Too long since I've seen him  :(  )

Brilliant!   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #1578 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:30:36 pm »
I never really understood them raw in salads, they're just pointless. Only bother if you've griddled or grilled them till smoky. I did once quick pickle them (soak in hot vinegar, sugar and salt and let cool) but really, just get pickles out of a jar, it's quicker and they're better.

Also, courgettes are only good when they are little, once they get big, it's the law of diminishing returns. Sometimes small stature isn't a disappointment, but gents, if you're brandishing a courgette in the bedroom, I suspect your returns will definitely be diminishing.

Mmmm, pickles. Jar-based awesome. I eat at least one industrial jar of pickled cucumbers every week. Then I drink the juice, like I'm some kind of dramatically off-kilter vampire.

« Reply #1579 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »
I never really understood them raw in salads, they're just pointless. Only bother if you've griddled or grilled them till smoky. I did once quick pickle them (soak in hot vinegar, sugar and salt and let cool) but really, just get pickles out of a jar, it's quicker and they're better.

Also, courgettes are only good when they are little, once they get big, it's the law of diminishing returns. Sometimes small stature isn't a disappointment, but gents, if you're brandishing a courgette in the bedroom, I suspect your returns will definitely be diminishing.

Mmmm, pickles. Jar-based awesome. I eat at least one industrial jar of pickled cucumbers every week. Then I drink the juice, like I'm some kind of dramatically off-kilter vampire.
You should put that into Bloody Marys.

ian

« Reply #1580 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:58:04 pm »
Pickle-backs. I drank a lot of those in Nashville the other year. Things got hazy after that. There was a bar with a tree in it, definitely.

I suspect the amorous proffering any sizable cucurbit to a woman called Mary (or otherwise) would end in bloodshed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1581 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:05:22 pm »
Well there's courgette cake. I don't have a recipe but I have eaten it and it is... cake. And surely there must be courgette wine.

Surely you need sugar or starch to ferment to make a wine and courgettes have little of these?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1582 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:20:38 pm »
Courgettes!
I will never, ever grow them again.  I'm sick to death of them. Courgettes with everything and we still can't keep up with the cropping.

Also,

Courgettes
How the fuck do you make them taste of anything other than water?
Add salt and they taste of sea water.
Cut into disks, coat with paprika and fry and they taste of water.
A ratatouille would be greatly improved by their omission.

OK.

Set the oven to 180 degrees
Slice the courgettes finely
Arrange the slices neatly in tight overlapping circles
Sprinkle with paprika and smoked garlic dust
Pop the pizza in the oven for 9 minutes and throw the courgettes in the bin.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1583 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:41:30 am »
I've been using grated courgette as a nice veggie thickener for "bolognese" sauce.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1584 on: 29 August, 2019, 07:14:53 am »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1585 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:03:56 am »
I have enjoyed courgettes in the past, 'disgorged' of their water à la Lizzie David, i.e. by slicing thinly, salting and pressing under a heavy weight, e.g. the hardback edition of French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David. Sautéed in butter with the usual garlic & onion they are then almost palatable.   When MrsT cooks them she has no time for this and "people eat too much salt anyway", meaning me, so she slices them thickly and cooks them without benefit of clergy. As a result I now despise the bloody things and never eat them.

Cook them myself? For an "almost palatable", why bother?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #1586 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:25:06 am »
If there's one thing I've learned about cooking is that people are scared by oil, salt, and heat. A decent courgette sauce takes a cup of olive oil, you're sautéing off all the water and not simply stewing the bloody things in their own juices.

Basically, whatever you do, you need to cook off all the water. They're OK on pizza if sliced very finely so they go crisp, but really, if you're going to do that, try potato.

I confess my ongoing antipathy to aubergines though. I've never managed to make a ratatouille worth bothering with.

« Reply #1587 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:04:06 am »
Slice your aubergines and toss them in salt, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, a little turmeric and stacks of black pepper, sauté in shitloads of veg oil and serve with naan bread or alongside your fave curry...

« Reply #1588 on: 30 August, 2019, 01:48:40 am »
If there's one thing I've learned about cooking is that people are scared by oil, salt, and heat. A decent courgette sauce takes a cup of olive oil, you're sautéing off all the water and not simply stewing the bloody things in their own juices.

Basically, whatever you do, you need to cook off all the water. They're OK on pizza if sliced very finely so they go crisp, but really, if you're going to do that, try potato.

I confess my ongoing antipathy to aubergines though. I've never managed to make a ratatouille worth bothering with.

I quite like aubergine in ratatouille, although I've only recently started to add them, and also as baba ganoush. But my favourite way with them is in caponata, or (one I haven't done at home), sliced finely with a "crinkle" grater, deep fried until crisp and served with (Greek) garlic dip - basically crushed garlic and breadcrumbs mixed to a paste.

I like aubergine in ratatouille, and baba
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1589 on: 30 August, 2019, 02:55:37 pm »
The definitive recipe for courgette cake is Nigella's. It has loads of courgettes in it but doesn't taste of them in the slightest. It's mostly lemony.

'Courgetti' is a good low-carb alternative to spaghetti - though you need to invest in a spiraliser for this. Once spiralised, you flash fry it in a very hot pan with olive oil until it just starts to soften (but before it breaks down too much and all the liquid starts coming out). Works well with bolognese.

As for aubergines, there are so many wonderful possibilities. My absolute favourite thing to do with aubergines is make baba ghanoush.

Second favourite is involtini.

My wife invested in a copy of Chetna's healthy Indian cookbook recently - she was a semi-finalist in Bake-Off a few years ago. Loads of good stuff in it but our favourite so far is chana dal topped with spicy roasted aubergine. Seriously tasty.

Aubergines are also good on the barbecue - slice the aubergine lengthways very thinly, salt it to draw out some of the moisture, then use it to wrap up chunks of mozzarella and thyme and chuck on the barbecue for a few minutes on each side. Always popular.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #1590 on: 30 August, 2019, 04:02:26 pm »
Nah, aubergines always cook down to a vaguely troubling mush not unlike what might transude from the vigorously shaken head of an imbecile or parliamentarian.

I do like saying baba ghanoush though, admittedly because it sounds a bit like it might be one the lesser lieutenants of Cthulhu.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1591 on: 03 September, 2019, 03:33:27 am »
I always though it was the followers of Baba Ganoush who used to write "Gouranga" on motorway bridges?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1592 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:47:03 am »
So the people who write "Helch" are the followers of... Squelch?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1593 on: 04 September, 2019, 01:26:05 pm »
I do like saying baba ghanoush though, admittedly because it sounds a bit like it might be one the lesser lieutenants of Cthulhu.

I've remembered another aubergine dish I love: Imam Bayaldi

Which also sounds like a Cthulhu character.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1594 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:34:13 am »
Imam Bayaldi was the chap who taught Abdul Alhazred everything he knew about tentacles, before founding a chain of bargain supermarkets.

ian

« Reply #1595 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:12:09 am »
But I do so love his recipe book.

« Reply #1596 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:17:14 am »
Imam Bayaldi was the chap who taught Abdul Alhazred everything he knew about tentacles, before founding a chain of bargain supermarkets.

But I do so love his recipe book.

Ah yes, The Necronomnomnomicon...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1597 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:19:03 am »
Anyway, Baba Ghanoush isn't a servant of the Elder Gods - she's actually Baba Yaga's vegan third cousin twice removed.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1598 on: 06 September, 2019, 04:31:48 am »
Things I didn't know until recently: Rudolf Hess was a vegan.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1599 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:00:56 pm »
Things I didn't know until recently: Rudolf Hess was a vegan.

Rant  ???