Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230357 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1600 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:50:10 pm »
Things I didn't know until recently: Rudolf Hess was a vegan.

Rant  ???

More a response to teh spesh, really.  Anyway:

The defining feature of a curry is surely that it has Stuffs in some sort of piquant and, well, curry-flavoured sauce.  Not dry chicken, dry rice, two manky lumps of micro-corn-on-the-cob and a sprig of broccoli that not even Chrissie Hynde could warm to.  And no sauce, just to be perfectly clear.

Yes, you, caterers to British Airways at Phoenix Sky Harbor >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1601 on: 17 October, 2019, 02:19:00 pm »
I did not realize major UK supermarkets stocked homeopathic remedies but yesterday I discovered Asdal's own label tea.  >:( When I say remedy, it might be a remedy for tea drinking... (Their own label jam and brie were pretty good though.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1602 on: 17 October, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »
If you MUST serve your chargrilled half chicken on a tray, make she both it, and the table, are FLAT.
Having food spin as you cut it up is NOT fun!

We Want Plates!...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1603 on: 18 October, 2019, 12:24:22 am »
The defining feature of a curry is surely that it has Stuffs in some sort of piquant and, well, curry-flavoured sauce.  Not dry chicken, dry rice, two manky lumps...

...is the point I got to before concluding that you were probably talking about airline food.

ian

« Reply #1604 on: 18 October, 2019, 01:38:22 pm »
What the actual fuck, Southern's stupid train wifi blocks beer-related web sites. You can't download beer directly through the internet, I've tried.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1605 on: 28 October, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »
What the actual fuck, Southern's stupid train wifi blocks beer-related web sites. You can't download beer directly through the internet, I've tried.

You can download wine though. Or so YouTube would have us believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNL4dnfxHIc
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #1606 on: 28 October, 2019, 03:51:11 pm »
Actually, it turned out I was on EE and I'm now subservient to my wife's mobile account. She – sensibly – had content lock on, she claims accidentally, and not to prevent me wiling away my lost hours watching athletic ladies in rapidly increasing states of sartorial distress.

But they do block videos.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1607 on: 29 October, 2019, 02:24:25 pm »
MrsT came home from shopping not with the tortilla chips we eat with guacamole but with wretched organic potato crisps.

"What flavour are they?" quoth I.

"They're bio," quoth she, pronouncing it in the French manner: beeoh.

So now we're eating B.O.-flavoured crisps with our evening glass of unspeakable H2O. Forget the guacamole, they're too fragile.

"Those Nacho cheese chips you like are full of all kind of horrible things," she sez.

"Gimme more," say I. "The bloody Metformin's already killing me, a few trace poisons won't change it. And some nice Badoit out of that plastic bottle in the fridge. Fuckit."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #1608 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »
Special shout out for everyone's favourite airline BA who recently supplied me with a chicken casserole that appeared to have been made from half-chewed lumps of pencil eraser that had been drowned in value brand mix-your-own wallpaper paste. OK, it's an inflight meal, and all the airlines are in a competition to trawl the benthic depths of despairing unedibles and drop them, sometimes literally, into passengers' laps. Seriously, all the execs get together once a year to compare notes and award themselves points. I mean, what are you going to do, call Deliveroo.

It was the return flight that really excelled. Once upon a time, you'd get an actual thing that at least tried to pass itself off as breakfast. It might not have been great but it was something. This time they flung a cold, clammy corpse of a croissant my way, slathered in the poor cousin of Monsieur Boursin, the one they pretend died as a child and keep in the barn. Or it might have been unset plaster of Paris to stick with the theme. It certainly stuck to my teeth. I've been expecting to pass an anatomically correct cast of the inside of my colon for the last two days.

It's possibly wrong to have gin for breakfast, but sometimes you need to self-medicate.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1609 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:19:49 pm »
It's possibly wrong to have gin for breakfast,
Research needed.

« Reply #1610 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:52:57 pm »
It's possibly wrong to have gin for breakfast,
Research needed.

Not really - it is always gin o'clock somewhere. ;)

It only starts become wrong if imbibing at breakfast time according to the time zone you are in becomes a habit...

OTOH, a Bloody Mary with a hearty full English/Irish breakfast, anyone?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1611 on: 29 November, 2019, 08:37:49 am »
It's Ian's Boursin for breakfast that makes me blench.  Anyone for garlic toothpaste?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1612 on: 29 November, 2019, 09:21:44 am »
At least you got wallpaper paste, ian.  Such luxury is clearly anathema to Bubba's Airplane Eats of Scrotum AZ or whoever was responsible for the so-called "chicken curry" BA served up on the way back from Phoenix this time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1613 on: 29 November, 2019, 01:23:58 pm »
It's Ian's Boursin for breakfast that makes me blench.  Anyone for garlic toothpaste?

I quite like the garlic Bousin-alike (Shumit) or pepper Boursin-alike (Pilpelit) on crackers as part of an Israeli breakfast.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1614 on: 29 November, 2019, 01:37:45 pm »
I suppose it's OK if everybody eats it. One of my vilest memories is of standing in a crowded train with somebody unwashed breathing garlic over my shoulder.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1615 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:12:03 pm »
Oh indeed, but Israeli breakfast is often bread, crackers, cheese salad, eggs, fruit.

Suspect they leave pastries and cereals for the FOREIGNERS.

Garlic should only be ingested when other fellow-diners ingest this also.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1616 on: 29 November, 2019, 08:28:25 pm »
Sounds a decent breakfast to me. Or lunch or...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1617 on: 30 November, 2019, 02:12:35 am »
Beats cornflakes hands down!
WHY do people eat cornflakes and the like for breakfast?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1618 on: 30 November, 2019, 09:22:04 am »
Weren't they originally intended to bolster moral fibre, quell the procreative urge or some such?  Mr. Kellogg had funny ideas in that respect.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1619 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:41:59 pm »
Indeed, to reduce 'self-abuse', AIUI...

I just can't think of a worse 'food' for breakfast!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1620 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:43:14 pm »
Yes, they were deliberately bland, to reduce sexual urges (I'm unaware of anyone becoming sexually aroused by cornflakes, but this is the internet, and Rule 34 probably applies).  Given that he also advocated genital mutilation of children to prevent masturbation, boring cereal counts as getting off lightly...

IMHO the worst breakfast food is a traditional BRITISH fry-up.  I've nothing against fried food, but I don't understand how anyone can stomach it first thing in the morning.   :hand:

« Reply #1621 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:51:51 pm »
IMHO the worst breakfast food is a traditional BRITISH fry-up.  I've nothing against fried food, but I don't understand how anyone can stomach it first thing in the morning.   :hand:
Wot ?  Even after riding through the night to the coast ?  :-)
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1622 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:53:21 pm »
Wot ?  Even after riding through the night to the coast ?  :-)

That doesn't count as morning, as it's still the night before (at least in digestive terms).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1623 on: 30 November, 2019, 02:36:28 pm »
A traditional British fry up is traditionally Britannically eaten around midday Sunday, so hardly counts as breakfast!  ;)

As for cornflakes, I was vaguely aware the original Mr Kellogg had some strange ideas but hadn't realised they were quite that strange. Though it seems that this strange one was John Harvey Kellogg and it was his brother, Will Keith, who was mostly responsible for the cornflakes. Neither of them had anything to do with the Kellog-Briand Pact.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1624 on: 30 November, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
I like cornflakes.