Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275325 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Or they're burning the bodies...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I think I've just seen two flashes of lightning out of my office window, but not heard any thunder.  Is that possible?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Sure, if it's far enough away and the wind is in the "wrong" direction.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

it was pretty close from the brightness of the flash, wind away from me though

Chris S

it was pretty close from the brightness of the flash, wind away from me though

Warning Geekfest.
(click to show/hide)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
When lightning struck our next-door-but-one neighbours, it just went BANG!, no rumble.

Lady H at #35 was on the phone and gotta jolt.

We lived ar #31.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've been within 'fucking hell that was close' distance of a lightning strike twice.  On both occasions it was just a BANG!, though there was a sufficiency of rumbling from other events in the run-up to it.

I've also been within 'you haven't got a pacemaker or anything?' distance of TEH BIG SPARKS in what was then UMIST's high voltage lab.  An almighty CRACK! is a fair description, enhanced by the whole thing taking place in a building optimised for earthing and the manoeuvring of large pieces of hardware, rather than pleasant acoustics.

ElyDave

I've been "fuck that was close" as it hit the telegraph pole at the bottom of the garden path. It was definitely loud

"oh shit that fried the TV"

Phone line was also welded into the socket and it took BT 2 days to sort the village out

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I can remember hearing the cast-iron radiators & pipes in our old school building clicking with the EMP from a nearby flash.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Lightning struck the ground right next to me as a youthful BMXer. It wasn't nearly the most dangerous thing that happened to me on that bike. It made me fall off (like I needed the help) and lie there in the road until I could see anything other than the colour neon purple and my head stopped ringing. I expected there to be a huge crater but there was just a disappointing 2p piece-sized area of perfectly melted tarmac.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Getting a bit warm now, 32°C according to our north-wall thermometer.  We're due 36° on Thursday. Radio's full of things to do to survive and rules & regs for businesses.  Apparently secretarial & clerical staff have to keep at it until it's 34°C in the office.  :o

Getting a bit warm now, 32°C according to our north-wall thermometer.  We're due 36° on Thursday. Radio's full of things to do to survive and rules & regs for businesses.  Apparently secretarial & clerical staff have to keep at it until it's 34°C in the office. :o

That's all very well, but at what temperature are they allowed to stop working?  ;) :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
12 degrees and raining.  Yesterday I got sunburnt.  Welcome to Shetland.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
BTDT Got the sunburn.

Enjoy the Simmer Dim and four seasons in one day!

If cycling, you can expect a journey from A to B to take twice or double the time from B to A.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Chatting to the groundsman on the sports club next door yesterday, we agreed that we seem to be in for a 'Traditional' British Summer.

Doesn't seem to bother our black lab though.

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s too damn hot. And humid.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Weather bloke on radio: "in Madrid they have a word for heat-wave. They call it summer."

34° for us today, 37° for Strasbourg.

Weather bloke on radio: "in Madrid they have a word for heat-wave. They call it summer."

34° for us today, 37° for Strasbourg.

As a Madrileno once said to me "we have 9 months of winter, and three months of hell".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
"In the Yukon we have two seasons: August and winter".

ian

What about their Flying Insect Season?

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1143599770746929154

Flooding last night in Lisieux, Normandy. I camped there last year.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Fortunately it looks like we're going to turn up in Berlin the day after the worst day this week and then leave as it gets hotter again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1143599770746929154

Flooding last night in Lisieux, Normandy. I camped there last year.

Friend of ours lives in Alençon. "What heat wave?"

We topped out at 37° here yesterday, 3° over what was predicted.  8:10 am now and 26° in my office. We've already closed up on the eastern side of the house and we've got the fans going, which at least distributes the dog fart.

My workshop, being a concrete box set into the barn, rarely reaches over 25°, so that mid-afternoon I can hardly move for missus & dogs gobbling up the oxygen. Heigh ho.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
What about their Flying Insect Season?

I took a Boots bug-be-gone spray AND two bottles of Avon Skin So Soft, which remain unused to this day.  There were more flies in Nevada.