Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335748 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1950 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:39:02 pm »
Alternative fruits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1951 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:46:36 pm »
Indeed; all these people have had enough of FACTS and SCIENCE.

The pedant in me acquired a Biology O Level in 1974 and A Level in 1976. While I am happy to call a tomato or pea pod a fruit, I will not accord this appellation to a carrot or onion.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1952 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:09:11 pm »
The Bath Ales Gem bitter ran out in the Backstage Bar at Womad mid afternoon yesterday.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1953 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:01:19 am »
The Bath Ales Gem bitter ran out in the Backstage Bar at Womad mid afternoon yesterday.

That's not a problem; it's a diaster.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1954 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:49:53 am »
Partner has chopped an onion on my FRUIT chopping board!
Botanically, the onion is a fruit.
</Boris Johnson mode>

Is it really?

Hardly looks like a seed case that develops after the plant has flowered!

This is an onion fruit or capsule.

The spherical bulbs we consume are not fruit IMHO.

Might be a Trump post-truth fruit...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1955 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:48:02 am »
An onion is a true bulb.

Daffodils, tulips etc., on the other hand, are pseudobulbs, so are in actual fact genuine false bulbs.

Onion juice and smell will wash off, I slice fruit and veg on the same board (obviously not at the same time).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1956 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:38:05 am »
Partner has chopped an onion on my FRUIT chopping board!
Botanically, the onion is a fruit.
</Boris Johnson mode>
Is it really?
Hardly looks like a seed case that develops after the plant has flowered!
This is an onion fruit or capsule.

The spherical bulbs we consume are not fruit IMHO.
Might be a Trump post-truth fruit...

Oops!
Failed to notice mode!
Apols!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1957 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:43:58 am »
An onion is a true bulb.

Daffodils, tulips etc., on the other hand, are pseudobulbs, so are in actual fact genuine false bulbs.

Onion juice and smell will wash off, I slice fruit and veg on the same board (obviously not at the same time).

I think this depends on the chopping board material; my GREEN polythene board has a persistent onion taint, which no amount of scrubbing will shift. My RED fruit board is no longer tainted. It's made of a firmer, stiffer plastic.

ian

« Reply #1958 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:51:06 am »
Allium smells are primarily thiocarbonyl S-oxides which are quite polar so should come off with a scrub in water or a round in the dishwasher. If it's got into the board, a soak in vinegar or lemon juice should do the trick. Or try bicarb.

« Reply #1959 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »
I think the basic problem here is having separate boards. I do have three, but they're all white, and the first one I grab gets used. No issues with cross-contamination in c15 years. Simple washing or the dishwasher sorts them out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #1960 on: 30 July, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »
I have one board set aside for raw meat, the others are fair game for whatever needs chopping.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1961 on: 31 July, 2019, 01:30:04 pm »
We have a nice set of chopping boards that  a) fit in the cupboard properly  b) are colours I get the name of right  Obviously they don't follow the industry standard colours, so it comes down to:
red = raw meat
green = veg and stuff
yellow = bready things
blue = the spare one

In practice this works fine because I avoid fruit and veg, and barakta avoids chopping things.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1962 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:48:09 pm »
Ours are all wooden: pine, teak, bamboo & A.N.Other. It's usually the last that gets used for everything.  We also have one of those ridiculous glass boards that ruin knives and split ears but I put a fatwa on it and all it does now is go under the toaster.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1963 on: 02 August, 2019, 05:27:49 pm »
My Sonos speakers are “offline”.   :-\

ETA: Seems it’s a know issue where Alexa just sort of forgets them. Even deleting all settings, both apps, and factory reset of the speakers only got the non-Alexa enabled Playbase working again. So the kitchen and office shed are addressed as “OK Google”.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1964 on: 08 August, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »
Ah, the delight of biting into a perfect nectarine and finding half the stone in your mouth and the half remaining in the fruit to be hollow, and black and powdery-looking inside.

ian

« Reply #1965 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:43:51 pm »

ETA: Seems it’s a know issue where Alexa just sort of forgets them. Even deleting all settings, both apps, and factory reset of the speakers only got the non-Alexa enabled Playbase working again. So the kitchen and office shed are addressed as “OK Google”.

Alexa sometimes forgets her own name, like a gran on her third sherry. A parade of reboots usually works, starting with the devices and then the wifi hub. My Sonos is quite good, the only thing that usually defeats is it my wife who exists in a cloud of coherent bogon condensate that is not only impervious to wifi but also disrupts any electronic device within a few metres.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1966 on: 08 August, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »

Alexa sometimes forgets her own name, like a gran on her third sherry. A parade of reboots usually works, starting with the devices and then the wifi hub. My Sonos is quite good, the only thing that usually defeats is it my wife who exists in a cloud of coherent bogon condensate that is not only impervious to wifi but also disrupts any electronic device within a few metres.

And this, apparently, is The Future.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1967 on: 08 August, 2019, 08:25:47 pm »
To be fair, they generally just work and the ability to cue up a tune of my choice anywhere in the house and have it issue from whatever speakers I choose is rather splendid.

As mentioned, I mostly don't bother than much with Alexa or Google, it's usually less hassle to work the phone. I realise this makes me old. One of the sad facts of modern life is that it used to be possible to identify mad people by the fact they were shouting into thin air, whereas these days that's pretty much everyone under the age of 30, either on their phone or yelling at a machine.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1968 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:03:54 pm »

That's not a problem; it's a diaster.

how did you cope? Don't leave us in suspense, this should have made the headlines.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1969 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:54:26 am »
Cordless vacuum cleaners are a right royal pain in the proverbial when you are faced with a need to vacuum the whole house and furniture twice in close succession in order to deal with a cat flea infestation1 that has taken hold whilst we’ve been away. 

1. You’d think it was of biblical proportions the way Dr Beardy (Mrs) has been driving me this morning.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1970 on: 09 August, 2019, 10:38:27 am »
That's why we have the cordless for day-to day, and a proper decent corded one for a deep clean.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1971 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:39:06 pm »
People are complaining about Morrison's charging 30p for a carrier bag. Get a fucking life! Also, get a bag and take it with you when you go shopping. Hint: it will only cost you 30p.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1972 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:46:19 am »
Why don't they make the coin-slot in the screw caps on the battery compartments of gadgets powered by wide flat batteries like the CR2032 wide enough to be unscrewed with e.g. a CR2032?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1973 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:16:47 am »
Why don't they make the coin-slot in the screw caps on the battery compartments of gadgets powered by wide flat batteries like the CR2032 wide enough to be unscrewed with e.g. a CR2032?

...or narrow enough to be unscrewed with an electronics-fettling sized screwdriver, for that matter.

My usual tool (ie. that which lives within reach of the drawer where the spare batteries live) is a pair of small needle-nosed pliers.

« Reply #1974 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:37:44 am »
Got back yesterday afternoon to find one of the smoke alarms giving a low battery bleep. No spare battery and I couldn't be arsed going out again so risked fiery deth last night with only one working smoke alarm.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams