Author Topic: Worst Cover Versions Ever  (Read 12106 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Worst Cover Versions Ever
« Reply #25 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:21:17 pm »
I used to love Darts when I was a kid.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #26 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:25:12 pm »
Comfortably Numb by Scissor Sisters   :sick: No contest   :hand:

I agree this is terrible but I also think Leona Lewis murdered" Run " originally by Snow Patrol

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:35:45 pm »
Murdering Snow Patrol is the best thing to do with them.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:08:50 am »
The most recent issue of Q has a list of the fifteen worst covers in the history of all things ever.  Were it and I in the same county I'd list 'em, but we en't, so I shall just leave you with the horror that was La Ciccone's version of American Pie.

Kill, kill, kill, stab, murder and dispatch :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:14:43 am »
Back when I worked at the Science Museum, one of the people I shared a locker room with was a Michael Bolton fan - she had a picture of him on her locker and everything - I put a 'WANTED - FOR MURDER' caption on it.

When she asked me why I said "For slaughtering Otis Redding's '(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay'.

She was deeply unamused.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 30 December, 2008, 02:48:18 pm »
Bad and awful and horrible because it takes two good tunes & pounds them into mush:  All Summer Long, by Kid Rock - it uses Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon, and Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 30 December, 2008, 03:34:38 pm »
x fucter pish that has annihilated (sp?) hallelujah :demon:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #32 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:41:43 pm »
x fucter pish that has annihilated (sp?) hallelujah :demon:

Can't be as bad as the Aled Jones version..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #33 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:18:44 am »
The person or persons responsible for the version of Down Under played over the closing credits of the third Crocogator Dundee fillum want badly to be deported to rural Neptune in handy four-ounce servings.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #34 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:26:23 pm »
Hurrah for the Search function which managed to find this thread, albeit as the third result out of, er, three.

I put it to Thee Panel that His Bobness' Christmas In The Heart is almost certainly the Worst Thing in the World1.  Imagine gravel-voiced 21st century Bob growling "O Come All Ye Faithful".  In Latin.

Yes.  Yes, he does.

Was the tax man after you?  Was it the result of a misguided pub bet (probably with Bonio)?  Is it actually the result of an experiment by mad spods cutting and pasting snatches of Bob's singing over a background of musical treacle stolen from a Shirley Temple movie?  In God's name, Bob, WHY?

(Syringes ears with some nice tasteful early Sabbath)

1: No, I didn't buy it.  Give me credit for some taste at least.

citoyen

« Reply #35 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »
Covers of Christmas songs are notorious for bringing out the worst in otherwise respectable artists.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #36 on: 08 December, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
I can forgive John Fahey's various Christmas bobbins because:
  • His Crimbletat was  instrumentals, and
  • He needed the money
but Dylan?  The man who wrote "Desolation Row" and "Like A Rolling Stone"?  No, that's a non-negotiable one-way trip to the area of Heck reserved for Hitler, Torquemada and Cliff Richard.

« Reply #37 on: 08 December, 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
Covers of Christmas songs are notorious for bringing out the worst in otherwise respectable artists.

The Phil Spector Christmas album is the one true collection of Christmas cover songs, no others should be allowed, ever.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #38 on: 08 December, 2015, 03:18:05 pm »

The Phil Spector Christmas album is the one true collection of Christmas cover songs, no others should be allowed, ever.

(Phil Spector belongs on the SuperTwat thread, methinks)
Still don't know whether this is brilliant or terrible.  Is covering 'Trad.' a cover?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PAwuNg-7-U

« Reply #39 on: 08 December, 2015, 05:22:16 pm »

(Phil Spector belongs on the SuperTwat thread, methinks)

Definitely he does but still he was a genius at music production.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

red marley

« Reply #40 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »
For tonal and especially rhythmic inexactitude, I give you Mrs Miller's These Boots Are Made For Walkin'.

You may wish to explore some of her prodigious back catalogue. But proceed at your own risk.

Edit: I've found a new Mrs Miller favourite: The Girl From Ipanema. Glory in that gentle bossa nova rhythm, the sultry stringed intro and light percussion, then WHAM as the song is frogmarched to a different rhythm in a choice of keys and indecisive editing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:33:49 pm »

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #42 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:47:16 pm »
The renowned producer and singing Buggle, Trevor Horn, has made an album called Trevor Horn Reimagines the '80s.

It features several modern beat combos and solo artists, plus a handful of original '80s artists who are now, to put it politely, past their prime (and Robbie Williams) performing new versions of '80s numbers such as Everybody Wants to Rule The World, Slave to the Rhythm, The Power of Love, etc.

I have listened to it so that you don't have to.

I sincerely recommend that you don't.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #43 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:09:48 am »
Anything by a bunch of wankers called Dead Belgian.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #44 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:34:48 am »
I have to blame T42, as the last poster, for bringing this thread and its contents to my attention. But I can only blame myself for listening to some of the contents.

IMHO, the cover version of Comfortably Numb by the Scissor Sisters is hilariously brilliant. It's more like a live mash-up of the Bee Gees and Pink Floyd. It is funny, which may confuse some Floyd fans who have forgotten that before they become so tedious they were once funny too... and let's face it, for all its little flashes of brilliance, The Wall is a work of absolutely monumental and bloated egotism which deserves to be punctured. The Scissor Sisters actually remember what the point of a cover version is - to do something new with a song.  :thumbsup:
I agree with this, mostly. What the Scissor Sisters have created is a completely different song which happens to have the same lyrics. This is in contrast to Mrs Miller, who is clearly trying to sing the original songs but failing horrendously due to her inability to grasp tune and especially rhythm. It's not that she sings out of tune as, for instance, I might do, she just seems to only be able to sing one tune, and it's not the one that goes with the song she's singing. Paul Anka is a different case. He can sing, obviously, and he's singing the original song but putting his own stamp and style on it. Unfortunately it doesn't work. (But Patti Smith has done a great cover of the same song, possibly better than the original.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #45 on: 10 February, 2019, 02:30:57 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMERPNrprkk

:sick:
My ex dated Roland Gift before she met me.
Oh, the claim to fame thread, I hear you say?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #46 on: 11 February, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »
The worst cover versions are the pointless ones, ie songs which cannot be improved on. Baker Street comes to mind.

Damon.
Agreed. Also pointless are the ones where nothing is changed from the original in terms of tempo, instrumentation etc, but they manage to remove all the soul and charm.

Most of the 'Best' covers do something innovative - reading the other thread probably confirms this.

A sub-category of 'Pointless' would be where an artist rips off someone ELSE's interpretation of a classic. (I guess this is how X-factor is produced.)

(I'm sure SOMETHING good could be done with Baker St, if the human race lives long enough. they would probably need to ditch the saxophone. And the guitar solo which is really the best bit - simple but perfect.)
https://youtu.be/BO1qcWa6blQ

Make your own mind up. (Maybe it's been posted already – hard to say cos the youtubes or whatevers in the early posts in this thread just appear as blank spaces.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 11 February, 2019, 05:14:06 pm »
The renowned producer and singing Buggle, Trevor Horn, has made an album called Trevor Horn Reimagines the '80s.
...I have listened to it so that you don't have to.

I sincerely recommend that you don't.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

But that sounds amazing!

Here's another act of 'reimagining' that might have been better left never imagined...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indie-Pipe-Hits-Never-Pipes/dp/B001N1B3OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549904939&sr=8-1&keywords=never+mind+the+pan+pipes

My particular favourite is the take on Chelsea Dagger:
https://youtu.be/mGHUWCt9oE4

Like the Scissor Sisters take on Comfortably Numb, it brings out the hitherto unknown comedy side of the tune. You could almost call it genius if it weren't so unutterably terrible.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 14 April, 2019, 09:30:18 pm »
Pseudo Echo's version of "Funky Town".  Awful.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #49 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:23:22 am »
'Funky Town' has to be the worst ever cover of 'Sunshine of Your Love' . Though there is a very funny video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwiixXViT0