Author Topic: Stolen  (Read 74442 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Re: Stolen
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2015, 07:09:02 am »
The only bike I have had stolen was red.  My last view of it was when I turned to look back and saw it gleaming in the sunshine.  How smart it looks, I thought.  :'(
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2015, 06:24:36 pm »
About 30 stolen "high end" and "racer" bikes recovered in a big operation in Bristol.
http://www.bristol247.com/channel/news-comment/daily/crime/police-raids-target-bike-theft-gangs
Photos
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2015, 01:12:39 am »
Martin 'Cycling Silk's Brompton was stolen from a train at Twickenham at 23.45 1/8/2015.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2015, 02:34:01 pm »
Someone stole my Bob Jackson mountain bike in 1991.... I'm still bitter

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2015, 02:51:25 pm »
In 1977 or 8, I had my first decent bike stolen.  A Dawes, that  I'd had converted from 5 to 10 speed at Tommy Godwin's shop in Kings Heath (the other Tommy Godwin).  The bike I did my first 200 on (dressed in trainers and jeans).
My housemates were both amazed and embarrassed as I sobbed that evening.

I still look out for it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2015, 06:26:47 pm »
Martin 'Cycling Silk's Brompton was stolen from a train at Twickenham at 23.45 1/8/2015.
I imagine a lot go missing from trains.  The TOCs forbid you from locking bikes to the rack so it's just asking to be taken at an intermediate station.  Thinking like a thief, provided you ensured you left the train with the stolen bike after everyone else, just before a station attendant came to close the still-open door, you'd be home free.  Wear a hoodie or cap as an anti-CCTV measure.

I think it might be best to use a flimsy cable lock and attach the bike to the rack unless you can actually see the rack from your seat.  It's unlikely anyone will really complain.

Or only get direct trains with no stops  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2015, 06:55:00 pm »
Carlton Reid has tweeted this photo showing how he locks his Brompton to his other luggage onboard a train.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/628516103531184129

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:23:56 pm »
Full marks to the Spanish copper who spotted this bike:

Vuelta a Espana: Stolen €12,000 bike 'on sale for €120'

Police were inspecting the shop for suspected stolen goods when they spotted the bicycle's "exceptional technical characteristics".

A police statement (in Spanish) said the team had not yet had time to lodge a complaint for theft.

We are going to offer a jersey with stripes on to the person scum who stole the Orica Greenedge bike,'' police said on their official Twitter account (in Spanish). "His race ends in jail."
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »
I imagine a lot go missing from trains.  The TOCs forbid you from locking bikes to the rack so it's just asking to be taken at an intermediate station.

The IEP prototype dangly bike space had a loop for locking bikes to, which could be un-looped using a carriage key if staff needed to remove the locked bike for whatever reason.  Not a bad idea, except that its presence further restricted the bike geometries that could be stowed, and limits the second cyclist's ability to play tetris.  The consensus amongst our group of testers was that we'd rather that cycle reservations automatically gave you a reservation for the seats overlooking the bike spaces.

I think it might be best to use a flimsy cable lock and attach the bike to the rack unless you can actually see the rack from your seat.  It's unlikely anyone will really complain.

I generally strap bikes down with a ratchet strap, and apply the rear brake to improve stability, which probably helps deter opportunistic wandering-off by increasing the faff factor.  Obviously the recumbent is unlikely to be opportunistically stolen anyway, but it's the Brompton that I really worry about, and tend to keep it within sight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2015, 02:33:01 pm »
Carlton Reid has tweeted this photo showing how he locks his Brompton to his other luggage onboard a train.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/628516103531184129

Good thinking, except surely most Brompton journeys are made with a single item of commuter luggage, which you'd tend to keep with you...

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:30:38 pm »
I only travel between New Street and Cheltenham, which is one stop but since having a chat with one of the guards I stand in the vestibule with the bike spaces in (cross country).

Apparently the common wheeze, is for the thief to just get off before you with your bike at a station you aren't planning on, this easily facilitated by the cycle reservation ticket.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:38:31 am »
I imagine a lot go missing from trains.  The TOCs forbid you from locking bikes to the rack so it's just asking to be taken at an intermediate station.

Out of interest, does that include in guard wagons?  I've always been allowed to strap mine in and lock them on.  Or have I jus been lucky with the guards?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:30:21 am »
In 1977 or 8, I had my first decent bike stolen.  A Dawes ... I still look out for it.

Similar story here. I used to commute from Stoke Newington to Soho on my 10-speed Dawes. One day I got rammed into a kerb by a taxi. Bike was okay, but my back was out. Hobbled to work & locked the bike to a handy banister in the lobby of the building where I worked - out of sight from the street (but no receptionist - they were on the 1st floor). Every day for two weeks, while my back was recovering, I'd come into the lobby, nod hello to my bike, and walk up the stairs. One morning I came in, nodded to the bike, started up the stairs, then realised the bike wasn't there.

Company called the cops. They actually turned up quite quickly. Found that the thief had left behind bolt cutters worth more than the bike. I asked the cops if I could keep them. But apparently you're not allowed to hang on to 'evidence'. Never heard another thing about it. Insurance had run out a month before & I'd forgotten to renew.
Bocage Biking - recreational cycling on e-bikes in France

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »

Out of interest, does that include in guard wagons?  I've always been allowed to strap mine in and lock them on.  Or have I jus been lucky with the guards?

Especially there, ostensibly because of restricted access in emergencies, or so I'm told by GWR staff I know.

I'm guilty of locking my bike up though in spaces where I don't consider it would be in the way for all the reasons people cite above.  If my bike is out of sight even for 30 seconds I lock it up.  If I'm going to be away from it for any length of time then I lock it with two d-locks and a cable lock.

I probably wouldn't be massively upset if my Ribble got stolen as it's mostly just for commuting but I would be heartbroken if my Specialized got nicked as I've done almost all of the interesting stuff I have done as an adult cyclist on that bike.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2015, 01:44:55 pm »
I probably wouldn't be massively upset if my Ribble got stolen as it's mostly just for commuting

Is it a Winter Audax (I had one of those nicked - still miss it)?   If yes, do let me know if you plan to leave it unattended somewhere.  'Nice bike, mister, shame if it got nicked...'  ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
2 Fatbikes stolen last night.
« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2015, 06:33:04 am »
https://www.facebook.com/mr.larsth/posts/10205174624473680?pnref=story

I know many  of you don't have facebook, and I''l try to get the pictures for you later.

My friend got his 2 fatbikes stolen last night. They are unique in their build/color coordination
and therefore not possible to sell here in Denmark.
So if you see them adiviticed anywhere, would you please notify me so the bikes can get back to it's original owner.

THanks  Gus

Re: 2 Fatbikes stolen last night.
« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:32:25 am »
The chances of them turning up near me are slim, but I do a 'followed' search on eBay for bikes within 50 miles so I'll keep my eyes open.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:45:02 am »
Posted to the UK Fatbike group on Facebook

Stolen bikes - Essex
« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:21:15 am »
Not sure if this is the place for this, and a bit of a long-shot, but please keep your eyes peeled. Last night we had 4 bikes nicked:
1. Merida Scultura 400 - Black/Red https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/?p=18321
2. Merida Ride 200 - Red https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/?p=18323
3. Specialized Camber Evo 29er - Black https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/?p=18325
4. Cannondale Trail SL4 - Gree/White/black https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/?p=18327

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »
On trains with separate bike sections like an HST or Pendalino, if there are 2 of us travelling, then I lock both bikes together.  They're not locked to the train, so the train staff can't complain, and it would make it very difficult to get both bikes out together.  Although I always have a look out the window at intermediate stops just to check what's happening.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:39:43 pm »
Stolen last night in Bury, Lancs.

A GT Zaskar. Medium, blue with silver Duke forks. SLX Hollowtech II crank with mainly Deore components. Charge saddle, lock-on grips.

Boardman CX disc. 55cm. Black with blue graphics. Plain black carbon fork. BB7 brakes. Charge saddle. Mainly Ultegra 10 speed.

If you spot them please let me know.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #22 on: 10 November, 2015, 03:19:55 pm »
UPDATE : These have been found and returned to their original owner again. Unharmed  :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/mr.larsth/posts/10205174624473680?pnref=story

I know many  of you don't have facebook, and I''l try to get the pictures for you later.

My friend got his 2 fatbikes stolen last night. They are unique in their build/color coordination
and therefore not possible to sell here in Denmark.
So if you see them adiviticed anywhere, would you please notify me so the bikes can get back to it's original owner.

THanks  Gus

« Reply #23 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:27:01 am »
RESULT !!  Police involved ?
Rust never sleeps

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #24 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:31:08 pm »
RESULT !!  Police involved ?

No police, spotted on "sale" and a "promise" from 4 guys with D locks who showed up to buy, convinced the thief, that giving them back was they lesser hurting option.