Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252702 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6950 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:24:08 am »
I spent a month or so eating healthily (cut out loads of junk, salad for lunch instead of sandwiches, no beer) and my weight basically stayed constant.
For the last couple of weeks I've been eating all manner of junk in work (there seem to have been loads of cakes and stuff). My weight has gone up by about half a kilo. That doesn't seem fair!  ::-)

« Reply #6951 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:37:00 am »
That just demonstrates how little food you need to sustain your body, as opposed to satisfying your cravings. I see this every day when I have dinner with my wife - she's half my weight but eats 1/3 of what I do. I'm trying to cut down portion sizes, but it ain't easy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6952 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:58:13 pm »
I have no idea how you cure being a compulsive eater. I have lost a lot of weight over the past 7 months or so by

1. Cutting out 95% of the alcohol (mostly beer) that I used to drink.

2. Cutting out 95% of the cake I used to eat

3. Cutting out about 80% of the bread I used to eat.

My daily intake is now typically:

Porridge with muscovado sugar and a glass of fresh orange juice for breakfast.

Some type of protein (frequently ham) with tomatoes and spinach/cress/rocket mix for lunch, followed by two or three pieces of fruit.

Quite a substantial meal for dinner, meat (usually) and 3 or 4 types of veg, again followed by several pieces of fruit. However, we are having far more in the way of veggie meals than we used to. Tonight, for example, we had a variety of non-meat "burgers" amongst 4 of us.

During the evening I quite often eat fruit. I have several cups of tea, a couple of cups of coffee, and a few cups of water during the day. But I still eat at times when I shouldn't. Careful shopping means that it's no longer ice cream, which I have always found to be a problem.

I suspect a point will come when I will stop losing weight with this approach and will need a rethink, but as long as it's working I'll keep going. So far I have lost 3st 2lb since early October, two-thirds of that during the first 3 months. I am now a little under 17 stones (106kg at the last YACF weigh-in) and hope to be somewhere around 13 stones by the end of this year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6953 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:59:24 pm »
I'm eating a similar diet to Wow but maybe with less fruit and my weight is steady.
I am smaller and lighter, as well as being female.

I'm not eating between meals and try to leave a gap of at least four hours between meals.

If I really wanted to lose weight, I'd drop to two meals on some days.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6954 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:36:58 pm »
I’ve been eating Keto (low carb high fat) since Jan 2 and have lost 18kg. I eat only two meals a day, I don’t need breakfast as I’m not hungry. As I’m not hungry I don’t snack either. So just the two meals, lunch is salad with loads of goodies such as cheese, prawns, olives etc. evening meal is meat and loads of veg - tonight we will have a steak pie with cauliflower mash (pie crush with almond flour). Dessert will be fresh strawberries from the farm down the road and loads of cream. We love the food we eat.

I’ve tried Keto previously and fallen away. This time we aren’t bothering with trying to make Keto cakes; when out cycling we eat a real cake, because we burn the sugar off on the ride. It’s working well and I hope I can keep it up. I want to lose another 10kg so I weigh the same as my chap. Potentially I could go to 20kg down, but I think that might be a bit tough.

My partner is now at the stage where he is eating more carbs as he is on maintenance, not weight loss. He also has a weak spot for Gummibärchen.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6955 on: 20 May, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »
Err...Have many of the graph traces vanished? Not that I'm weighing myself much...

simonp

« Reply #6956 on: 20 May, 2019, 02:54:08 pm »
Err...Have many of the graph traces vanished? Not that I'm weighing myself much...

My bad.

I'll look at it this week. It's been a busy several months.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6957 on: 20 May, 2019, 02:57:42 pm »

My bad.

I'll look at it this week. It's been a busy several months.

I appreciate your efforts and that you have other fish to fry.

Thanks anyway!

« Reply #6958 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:42:37 am »
Bit of a weird question, but if you have lost a lot of weight from some parts of your body, how long before your skin catches up? That is, how long before it 'shrinks to fit'?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6959 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:46:30 pm »
Never.

Well, depends a bit, but usually it can only shrink back slightly.

I, among with millions of other people, can attest to this after weight loss. Thus tummy tuck surgery. But I would need a most-of-body tuck!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6960 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:35:23 pm »
Young people have more elastic skin so modest losses might not lead to much loose flesh.

Big losses in anyone and moderate losses in those past youth will lead to loose flesh.

Stretch marks are partly hormone mediated. There is little justice here. My Mum bore the six of us with no stretch marks but started very young.

I went on The Pill for a few months as a Hungry Student and got loads on my hips.

I don't think places with stretch marks ever spring back.

'Bingo wings' are a feature on erstwhile fat ladies.

« Reply #6961 on: 23 May, 2019, 09:34:31 am »
Well that kind of sucks.

I have lost over 10kg now. Put on muscle on arms, back, and chest.
Lost muscle mass from buttocks and fat from waist and buttocks. So now I have 'old man saggy bum', instead of nicely rounded cyclists well-developed glutes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #6962 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:01:08 pm »
Well that kind of sucks.

I have lost over 10kg now. Put on muscle on arms, back, and chest.
Lost muscle mass from buttocks and fat from waist and buttocks. So now I have 'old man saggy bum', instead of nicely rounded cyclists well-developed glutes.

Note to self: stick to rowing.  ;D

« Reply #6963 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:05:23 am »
I have very many new stretch marks 😂 they don’t look like springing back either so I’m in that club

Running and riding slowly improving, done a couple of 10k races now

Managed to lose 8.6lbs since 1st April, still 16 to go to ‘race weight’ although I would probably settle for about another 10.

« Reply #6964 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:10:51 am »
No stretch marks here; I gradually built up a big bum and thighs from years of cycling, building up muscle and fat stores. Now all withered away.
Chest has changed from 34" to 40". Trouser waist from 34" to 30".
It is a big body shape change.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

S2L

Re: Weight Reports for 2019
« Reply #6965 on: 02 June, 2019, 02:33:39 pm »
I think you are all doing it wrong... the time of the fat has come...

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #6966 on: 02 June, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »
Non-numerical post repositioned here.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6967 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:50:24 pm »
I seem to have gone down to 105kg as of this morning. I set an interim target weight of 102kg by 30th June. That is not beyond the realms of possibility. I'm quite gobsmacked.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6968 on: 06 June, 2019, 11:41:29 am »
A couple of weeks off the wagon due to being busy, travelling, and so on. No surprises then that my weight has crept up a couple of kg. Nearly back to where I was in January.

Need to get some self-discipline and go back to 5:2 - only diet that seems to work for me. Targeting Monday as my first fasting day, will laying in fresh vegetables and lean meat / fish for the occasion.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #6969 on: 06 June, 2019, 12:08:47 pm »
I’m up to 11lbs lost now. Most of that is from eating sensible adult sized portions rather than cycling twice a day portions 😂

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6970 on: 06 June, 2019, 01:39:12 pm »
Well done LadyC!

Hope you are WELL!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6971 on: 18 June, 2019, 12:22:57 pm »
There was a distinct increase (5lb) in my mass after my holiday.  I am hoping to lose at least half of that by my next weigh-in on Friday.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6972 on: 19 June, 2019, 06:22:02 am »
 :) :) Seems to be back on the right path again.
After a month where my weight haven't really moved
I managed to drop little more than a kilo the latest week.
So now I've dropped more than 70 kilos, or  11 Stones,
 since late May 2018, but I still have a smidgen more than 3 Stones
To loose, before I'm satisfied and I for a BMI below 30.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6973 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:29:48 am »
Man that is good going there Gus, you will have lost me in weight when you hit your target :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6974 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:53:08 pm »
Well done Gus!

I've not weighed myself for months but know I'm getting fatter.