Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68026 times)

Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #75 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:35:57 pm »
Read this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ again S.
It's true.

Move on.

I'm reading it.

Is all true.

In my experience?
Yes

Amnesty agreed - I'm not that uptight about it - you would've heard about it if I was.

« Reply #76 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:46:16 pm »
Read this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ again S.
It's true.

Move on.

I'm reading it.

Is all true.

In my experience?
Yes

I know - I was saying that I agreed with it.

Amnesty agreed - I'm not that uptight about it - you would've heard about it if I was.

I know  ;D

Pete

« Reply #77 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:14:46 am »
I think, my inner resentment of the ongoing existence of the smoking shelter at the workplace, may boil down to sanctimoniousness.  Be that as it may.  Others resent the fact that the smokers take extra breaks to go out for a fag.  It has been 'mentioned', I believe.  Memos have issued from the Management...

Enough of that.  In my part of the business (the R&D bit), the last guy in our office who smoked (another Pete as it happens) gave up about six months ago.  Before that his clothes used to really stink.  I didn't like to get too close to him because of the smell.  Now that smell has gone and I can communicate with him just like any of the others.  Perhaps I ought to tell him, straight, how much better it is without the smell, but I haven't the guts.

Hope he doesn't lapse.  His missus gave up some time before he did, it was probably because they were expecting their first child.  That's a great incentive for both parents!

Maladict

« Reply #78 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:17:48 am »
The only guy in my part of the office who smokes sits next to me.  It's fine when he's not just had his fag break but when he comes inside again after a fag he reeks.  I can't believe how badly.  It's actually a health hazard too - that smell is carcinogens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:30:18 am »
Jurek, was just thinkin', could you declare an amnesty on the topic for the night of the Dunwich?  :P

I promise to smoke downwind. 

The whole world is always downwind of smokers. Don't kid yourself; your pong hangs as a cloud of miasma in all directions. Effectively, smokers are always upwind, sorry.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:45:15 am »
Jurek, was just thinkin', could you declare an amnesty on the topic for the night of the Dunwich?  :P

The decision to smoke is yours alone.  I'm not one of these uptight, creepy people who seem to think that just because they're a non-smoker, it's okay for them to suck their teeth and look daggers at people who light up near them.  If you're in an area where it's legal to smoke, then smoke.

I won't give you any grief, I promise.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #81 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:59:49 am »
:) Ta Charlotte.

The downwind thing was directed at Jurek really, in jest, as the poor man is likely to have to put up with me for the duration of the Dunwich.

« Reply #82 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:21:25 pm »

I'm not one of these uptight, creepy people who seem to think that just because they're a non-smoker, it's okay for them to suck their teeth and look daggers at people who light up near them.
I definitely am.

« Reply #83 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:31:15 pm »
The decision to smoke is yours alone.  I'm not one of these uptight, creepy people who seem to think that just because they're a non-smoker, it's okay for them to suck their teeth and look daggers at people who light up near them.  If you're in an area where it's legal to smoke, then smoke.

+1

The vehement anti-smokers (especially the ex-smokers) are almost as bad as the mandatory-h*lm*t loons.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #84 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:40:02 pm »

I won't give you any grief, I promise.

^  +2
When I stopped smoking, I got my wife to promise to slap me with a rolling pin if I turned evangelical about non-smoking.  So far (5 years) I haven't been slapped.

alan

« Reply #85 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
I simply choose to avoid the immediate proximity of a smoker by maintaining a pong-free distance.

« Reply #86 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »

+1

The vehement anti-smokers (especially the ex-smokers) are almost as bad as the mandatory-h*lm*t loons.
If someone lights up next to me I either move away or if I can't, I ask them to stop or move away.

I have bad asthma. Sorry about that. I like to be able to breathe.

« Reply #87 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »
If someone lights up next to me I either move away or if I can't, I ask them to stop or move away.

That's not what I meant by "vehement anti-smoker".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #88 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »
True, I find it hard to get vehement when I can't breathe.  ;)

« Reply #89 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:00:54 pm »
I had a very good reason to give up: finding out I was pregnant. It was still hard to do, and I had one cigarette a day for a few days after the positive test. But I told myself that every day I did that was one more day no closer to having given up, and that was enough to get through the awful first few days smoke-free. I did it even though Mr Mac has carried on smoking (though not around minimac).

(I found it astonishing that the midwives were so impressed and surprised that I had given up, by the way. Obviously unusual in these parts, which says something.)

I could have happily sparked up after the little one arrived, but the one thing that keeps putting me off starting again is the monumental pain in the ass that is giving up. I just don't want to ever have to do it again. And it is a lovely freedom not to have the constant nagging sensation that you might fancy another fag in a minute.

Good luck giving up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #90 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:17:04 pm »

+1

+1
Getting there...

« Reply #91 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:31:57 pm »
I am considerate of others when I do feel the need to light up.

Anyhoo... enough of that.

There may be a plan afoot.

Tiger, in the course of your studies on the subject, do you have any useful references / thoughts on strategies to deal with the "powerful magic"?

I guess I just need a mental rebuild  :(

« Reply #92 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:33:12 pm »

Agreed, you are.  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #93 on: 18 July, 2008, 01:36:54 pm »

Seriously though...I don't have any advice on stopping but if it helps then I can honestly say I really do find smoking an unattractive habit, even if it's a really gorgeous man doing it...it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Same here. What's the point of going out with a bloke you can't bear to kiss because he stinks? Smokers = double-baggers.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tiger

« Reply #94 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

Anyhoo... enough of that.

There may be a plan afoot.

Tiger, in the course of your studies on the subject, do you have any useful references / thoughts on strategies to deal with the "powerful magic"?

I guess I just need a mental rebuild  :(

I have to admit my work was for the other side.

Che

« Reply #95 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:35:51 pm »
I used turning 30 as an excuse. That was after failing to use finishing being a student (twice) and getting a real job. (What!? A postdoc is a real job!) Figured if the 30 thing didn't work, I'd pretty much run out of 'event' reasons, and it would be that much harder. That was November, and I haven't slipped yet.

Didn't want to quit on my actual birthdy, as I was to be getting pissed, so quit three days before. Got to make it as easy as possible on yourself.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #96 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:56:13 pm »
Have a think about how you have tackled any other big issues in your life and apply the same logic and methods.  You’ll look back on this and draw strength from it and realise that you can achieve almost anything.

I stopped nearly four years ago following the unpleasant results of a very scary chest x-ray amongst other things (if you want any further incentive ammunition have a chest x-ray).  It wasn’t easy but simply stopping worked best for me (I had previously tried patches and gum but they didn’t help in my case).

It helps to want to genuinely want to stop, rather than stopping for other reasons (still a good idea but it makes it harder).  When you really do want to stop, you’ll find it easier than you think.

I found the first few weeks pretty easy and each milestone passed without too much difficulty – losing my persistent cough was a blessed release as well.  Remembering each morning just how badly I used to cough on getting up is a great daily reminder that helps keep me off the fags.

The  only really difficult bit is the dreams – I sometimes have  dreams about smoking, as if I have restarted.  Then I wake up and have to remember that I don’t smoke.

Pete

« Reply #97 on: 18 July, 2008, 04:26:57 pm »
Too true.  I feel a bit sad, though, that we non-smokers have lost a bit of the great outdoors in consequence of the Act.  I love eating at the garden table outdoors if the weather suits - at home of course it's not an issue, but at pubs and restaurants, the outdoor tables are now the places to keep away from.  I just feel I've been forced to give ground, when I feel it's the smokers - especially those who refuse to even try giving up - who ought to be making the concessions. And it is unpleasant to be in the vicinity of a lot of smokers, even outdoors.

And as for the patio heaters outside pubs - OK I know the pubs are trying to claw back the trade they've lost - I know it's a winter issue and we're now in mid-summer - but really!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #98 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:06:52 pm »
And as for the patio heaters outside pubs - OK I know the pubs are trying to claw back the trade they've lost - I know it's a winter issue and we're now in mid-summer - but really!
Well have you ever seen a smoker dress sensibly ? I mean every pub/bar/resto/work place I have gone by since the ban, in the winter, had a pack of smokers standing outside in short skirts, t-shirts or just one layer shaking as a shaking thing :) :) :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #99 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:23:26 pm »
Today marks approx 6 months IIRC since I packed in the fags. I'm still the wrong side of 2cwt, but now I don't stink.

I think fairly constantly about cigarettes and cigars but have managed to not smoke any and can even stand to be near someone else who is having a smoke.

I feel sorry for colleagues and cow-orkers whose lunchbreak (30mins) consists of four or five cigarettes chain-smoked in almost a frenzy.

There but for the grace of dog!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.