Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926131 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10400 on: 12 March, 2024, 09:34:56 pm »
Denmark BBC I-player. Enjoyable

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10401 on: 13 March, 2024, 08:43:04 am »
The Gentlemen (2019) - actually there is a spin off 8 part series on Netflix that I was alerted to so I had to watch the film first.
Film streams on HBO over here (NL) but I believe its usually on Amazon Prime in most regions

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

A Guy Ritchie / Matthew McConaughey production, with a strange role for Hugh Grant ->  'cockney' news of the world scumbag reporter.
Actually there are one or two others who seem to have escaped their type cast image (Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey fame springs to mind too)
I quite liked it, good fun (if you like gangster films) not too long and made me curious about the Netflix series where Giancarlo Esposito
(Gus Frings from breaking bad) plays a leading role. I shall start that later this week.

Saw the serial last week, quite entertaining.  Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito, check.  Susan from Hogfather, uncheck.

Film's on Prime, duly rented.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10402 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:23:16 am »
Went to see Wicked Little Letters on Sunday. Fantstic film, which depends on good old fashined characters and acting, not BOOM special effects.

« Reply #10403 on: 18 March, 2024, 09:56:44 pm »
Dune Part 2.

Worth seeking out an Imax or known good screen / sound for this one and sit near the front. Sadly I ventured to the nearest Odeon (Richmond) for the first time and found it wanting. I found the film unexpectedly involving. It’s a spectacle.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10404 on: 19 March, 2024, 09:17:54 am »
Dune Part 2.

Worth seeking out an Imax or known good screen / sound for this one and sit near the front. Sadly I ventured to the nearest Odeon (Richmond) for the first time and found it wanting. I found the film unexpectedly involving. It’s a spectacle.

It is a spectacle, and I saw it in Imax, but I would recommend sitting higher up / further away. I also watched it in my local cinema last weekend and the second watch in a more manageable scale meant I got more of the jokes. Good sound is a must. YMMV.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10405 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:28:04 am »
Went to see Wicked Little Letters on Sunday. Fantstic film, which depends on good old fashined characters and acting, not BOOM special effects.

Saw this last night at our new Everyman cinema (very posh!). Loved it from start to finish.
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10406 on: 19 March, 2024, 11:15:31 am »
Birdman, again. Superb.

« Reply #10407 on: 19 March, 2024, 12:18:48 pm »
Dune Part 2.

It is a spectacle, and I saw it in Imax, but I would recommend sitting higher up / further away. I also watched it in my local cinema last weekend and the second watch in a more manageable scale meant I got more of the jokes. Good sound is a must. YMMV.

I saw this in Imax last week. I'd never been to an Imax before, I thought they were supposed to be "wraparound" type immersive experiences, but it was just like a normal screen, but larger. That said, the quality of the projection and sound were excellent.

As to the movie, it's epic. Paul calling his first worm was an incredible piece of cinema.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #10408 on: 19 March, 2024, 12:28:18 pm »
Dune Part 2.

I found, despite the seat-shaking volume, that it was quite hard to properly comprehend what was being said at times during the parts when English was spoken. Even though the voices were loud and detailed, breath sounds etc., I still found that following what was said was tricky at times. It's not down to my admittedly sub-par hearing as my partner felt the same.

As for sitting near the front, in the Richmond Odeon even the front seats are quite a way back.

« Reply #10409 on: 19 March, 2024, 07:39:24 pm »
Paul / worm scene on YT...

(click to show/hide)

Looks like the clip is part of some promo/trailer. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #10410 on: 19 March, 2024, 08:04:00 pm »
The Old Oak - as you would expect from a Ken Loach film, it has a specific agenda.  Acting sometimes a bit clunky, however as a resident of one of the many communities screwed by Thatcher and subsequent free market enthusiasts it seemed like an accurate 'warts and all' depiction.

Not always flattering for the working class communities who were the victims and some of whom have subsequently blamed immigrants and asylum seekers for their problems, instead of the rich gits who have been in charge.  Which is a point made quite eloquently in the film.  Worth watching, ends on a high note however you may not feel happier afterwards.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #10411 on: 20 March, 2024, 07:16:07 pm »
This, just now:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUC0zyu4p0

It's a short film about a 90-year-old cyclist.  Fabulous man, lovely scenery, just all-round uplifting.  Please try it!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10412 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:50:36 pm »
Solaris, the 1974 Русский version on Prime.  You have to like them slooooooooooooooooooooooow.

« Reply #10413 on: 21 March, 2024, 07:44:04 pm »
Yes, that was very good.

« Reply #10414 on: 23 March, 2024, 09:42:59 pm »
The Commitments, a good time story.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10415 on: 24 March, 2024, 05:53:48 pm »

Saw it this afternoon. Very funny. Extraordinary swearing. Olivia Colman is superb.

ETA: afterwards, I read Peter Bradshaw's review. He hated it, which is hardly surprising because he hates everything. He does make some fair points about how it's essentially a glib treatment of what is in truth a desperately sad story but I still like it for what it is, which is an amusing way to pass a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon - there is perhaps potential for a very different film to be made of this story though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10416 on: 25 March, 2024, 10:07:27 am »
Ended up making a second outing to the cinema yesterday to see Dune Pt2.

Enjoyed it but it fell into the Lord of the Rings/Marvel trap of essentially being two and a half hours of build-up to the EPIC BATTLE, and it really did drag in places eg Feyd Rautha's birthday party, which felt mostly irrelevant.*

Bizarrely, it also felt very rushed in places, with some scenes seemingly cut short and left unresolved (eg Paul's desert trial) as it suddenly jumps to the next plot episode. For all its flaws, the Lynch version is much more coherent and taut storytelling.

And it's extremely noisy - reminded me of Dunkirk, with the constant barrage of loud music. It's a lazy way to signify THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. It didn't cause me any problems following the dialogue that some have mentioned but it did feel very intrusive at times.

Also, the worm riding scenes left me with one very important unanswered question: how do you get down off a sandworm?**

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Another question: why do the Navigators not feature in this version of the story? Talking to my son after the film, he was saying he didn't get why spice was so important, which is a fair question - in the books (and the Lynch version) it's made clear that spice is essential to the Navigators, and therefore essential to interplanetary travel, so it seems like a pretty major omission.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."