Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754210 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5750 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:32:56 am »
Colchester is a rubbish place to ride directly home from, without using the A120, [though perhaps not too bad late at night] - I'd be happy to meet up somewhere for the lanes and C.O.R. but reserve the right to take the train part-way back....

In that case I'll be sure to include the COR section on the way there!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5751 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:41:04 am »
Due to eddies in the spacetime continuum, I will actually be on the correct side of The Pond next Wednesday.

Not sure how my cycling legs will be though, and I reserve the option of routing myself around any COR that has already flattened OD recently.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5752 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:50:55 am »
^^^ Pussy

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5753 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »
Miaow!

« Reply #5754 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »
I'll provide some updates on the state of it. To be fair I've been down there in Ice, Snow and Mud and 'most' of it is actually acceptable if you CAN ride a bike  :-*

« Reply #5755 on: 08 November, 2014, 09:24:58 pm »
OK, I've put a route together that should work for Wednesday. It's 21 miles to the pub but I notice that the Layer Fox is also in the Good Beer guide and considering we swing right past the door I figure it would be rude not to stop for a swift inspection (I notice it is not in the Visited List)

The COR section on the way back is indeed a little 'interesting' on the way down but more down to fallen leaves. It get a little muddy just around the bridge but always felt solid under wheel to be honest. There was also a bit of mud on the inside of one corner just after the bridge but it is single file through there anyway.

Here is the Route

I have done the return through Great Braxted -> Little Braxted but as I will be stopping at Tiptree it's up to you all if you want to take another option, I am happy to amend the route if you let me know.

Happy to take suggestions!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5756 on: 09 November, 2014, 12:58:16 pm »
That all looks splendid - nice one  :thumbsup: 

A point of order and just to add some completely unwarranted, unnecessary complexity.   The Fox at Layer might unvisited on The List and it is indeed in the GBG.  But it's not unvisited on My List cos I've been there before.  That's not to say we can't pop in on Wednesday  ;D

« Reply #5757 on: 09 November, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »

A point of order and just to add some completely unwarranted, unnecessary complexity.   The Fox at Layer might unvisited on The List and it is indeed in the GBG.  But it's not unvisited on My List cos I've been there before.  That's not to say we can't pop in on Wednesday  ;D

Very Good....well depending on how things are looking there is an additional 5 mile add on that goes through a Byway out towards Fingringhoe(which is easily bypassed for those not looking for any COR action) But for now I will go with the fact we might need some refreshments and I thought the additional distance just made the whole thing a little TOO long

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5758 on: 09 November, 2014, 05:50:29 pm »
I think we went down there about a year ago on Witham Cycling's inaugural all night ride. I wasn't popular  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5759 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:26:18 pm »

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5760 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »
If you're aiming for the Layer Fox, I could try and meet up with you all there, otherwise I'll go straight to the Oddy.

« Reply #5761 on: 10 November, 2014, 08:56:14 am »
I vote for the Layer Fox!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5762 on: 10 November, 2014, 09:49:22 am »
For reason only known to nearest and dearest I'll not be out on the bike for anything more than a short commute to the office or train station this week.  :-X
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5763 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:23:24 pm »
christophe got his shiney this afternoon

Thanks for dropping by. Have been proudly showing it round the fellow cyclists and others at work who seem mildly impressed and or amused. I think if there isn't a sportive/ team challenge/ charity angle it's beyond most people's comprehension. Standard response is 'why the f**k would you want to cycle 600km in under two days by yourself??'
Erm, because its fun?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5764 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »
christophe got his shiney this afternoon

... Standard response is 'why the f**k would you want to cycle 600km in under two days by yourself??'
Erm, because its fun?

We have to defer to Oaky on this matter. "It's like fun only different"

« Reply #5765 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:58:25 pm »

We have to defer to Oaky on this matter. "It's like fun only different"

Like it.

I think the thought of doing it and the preparation leading up to it is fun, the memory of doing it once finished is that it was fun (and recounting the experience to others can be hilarious), but the actual act is 'like fun only different.'

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5766 on: 10 November, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »
I phoned Brian Taylor to re-arrange this Weds in Billericay - 12th is out, but the next possible date is 19th Nov: Is that ok OD and others?
Assuming our monthly sales ordeal meeting really is cancelled, and the expectation is that it will be (our sales director and key members of the sales team are fooking off to Vegas with customers), then I should be OK for the 19th.

The sales ordeal meeting is still on.  However, rather than cause another postponement I will drop by Billericay on my way home.  I will arrive and depart by car and be dressed as a civilain. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5767 on: 10 November, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »
 Ok, OD, we'll aim to get to the Coach and Horses for 21:00 next week as per usual

Do you have an eta for the Fox on Weds? It's about 25 miles for me via Braintree, Silver End, Kelvedon, Messing, Birch etc, so under 2 hours. I probably won't make it there much before 21:00.

« Reply #5768 on: 10 November, 2014, 11:22:02 pm »
We hit it about the 25km mark so I suspect it should be somewhere between 20:30 and 20:45 so we'll get a pint in for your arrival!

It's only 7km onto the Oddie from there so all good.

These timings are all assuming I don't get us all lost.

For those travelling from Witham, the usual 19:30 Spa Road meet OK? I notice my route on BRT sends us via some kind of cycle path through Witham...I intend to ride on the road via Spinx Lane!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5769 on: 11 November, 2014, 05:53:00 am »
 :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5770 on: 11 November, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »
We hit it about the 25km mark so I suspect it should be somewhere between 20:30 and 20:45 so we'll get a pint in for your arrival!

It's only 7km onto the Oddie from there so all good.

These timings are all assuming I don't get us all lost.

For those travelling from Witham, the usual 19:30 Spa Road meet OK? I notice my route on BRT sends us via some kind of cycle path through Witham...I intend to ride on the road via Spinx Lane!

It also goes down the short section of cycle path parallel to Maldon Road (part of the old railway line) - not sure if that's deliberate or a BRT-ism.

I'll probably aim to meet up with you all as you pass the Maltings Lane/Maldon Road mini-roundabout.  Unless the railway line detour is deliberate in which case I'll catch you at the start of that.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5771 on: 11 November, 2014, 03:47:58 pm »
Fear not, I'll get us to the junction of Maldon and Bluemills Road and sweep you up at the Maldon Road roundabout.

Am I right in thinking the Witham peloton is just me, Oaky, tippers and possibly Christophe?

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5772 on: 11 November, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »

Am I right in thinking the Witham peloton is just me, Oaky, tippers and possibly Christophe?

Not sure if Andy might be riding, personal circumstances dictating!?

« Reply #5773 on: 11 November, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »
Oaky...not Bike Paths around Witham....I imported it from Ride with GPS and didn't really check that Witham part...DOH!

OD will make sure we get to you  ;D

« Reply #5774 on: 11 November, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »
I'm in depending on work / train interference. Spa Road 7.30?

Is there any COR involved tomorrow? Will dictate which machine I'm on.