Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753990 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #18075 on: 10 July, 2022, 10:22:47 am »
How about the Axe and Compasses in Aythorpe Roding this week? A nice beer garden to make the most of the balmy conditions.
Potential, I'm in London in the following morning though.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18076 on: 10 July, 2022, 09:21:01 pm »
How about the Axe and Compasses in Aythorpe Roding this week? A nice beer garden to make the most of the balmy conditions.

Yes. please! :thumbsup:

« Reply #18077 on: 10 July, 2022, 09:32:25 pm »
I was planning on showing my face this week, but I will get a reputation for only going to local pubs if I am not careful.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18078 on: 10 July, 2022, 09:40:17 pm »
I was planning on showing my face this week, but I will get a reputation for only going to local pubs if I am not careful.
You'll be fine
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18079 on: 10 July, 2022, 11:35:53 pm »
You'll be fine

I’ll be walking, it’s less than 1km from the door.  😀

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #18080 on: 11 July, 2022, 05:40:09 am »
Any other Witham peloton riders planning on turning out this week?

« Reply #18081 on: 11 July, 2022, 01:17:05 pm »
I’ll be walking, it’s less than 1km from the door.  😀

You could always do a nice loop beforehand, given it'll be such nice weather for cycling.

I'm planning an off-road route, going a little bit out of the way to make the most of the conditions.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18082 on: 11 July, 2022, 03:42:15 pm »
I hope to be out on Wednesday. Axe and Compasses is fine by me.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18083 on: 11 July, 2022, 09:55:18 pm »
As its a warm summer evening planned is this the week for Hatfield Broad Oak?

I think Tomsk should call it this week after his epic adventures last week.

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18084 on: 12 July, 2022, 07:38:55 am »
As its a warm summer evening planned is this the week for Hatfield Broad Oak?
I think Tomsk should call it this week after his epic adventures last week.

Either Aythorpe Roding or HBO suits me. I'm minded to opt for the Axe and Compasses at the former. We'll see how my knee behaves on the commute today ...

« Reply #18085 on: 12 July, 2022, 07:53:30 am »
Axe and Compasses has a decent beer garden. HBO is rather underserved in that regard … either benches by the road, or the small decking area by the car park.

felstedrider

« Reply #18086 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:30:59 am »
I have a 22:00 start Wed evening in SW London.   Will endeavour to catch up next week.

« Reply #18087 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:44:03 am »
I have a 22:00 start Wed evening in SW London.   Will endeavour to catch up next week.

Hope you enjoy LAL ... fixed?

felstedrider

« Reply #18088 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:47:10 am »

Hope you enjoy LAL ... fixed?

Nah, I am being a bit more sensible at the moment.   I will use gears, but intend to do the ACME Grand on fixed once I have lowered the gear after the slightly harsh experience of the Fenland Friends.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #18089 on: 12 July, 2022, 04:56:09 pm »
Any other Witham peloton riders planning on turning out this week?
Me.
We are planning an earlier launch (6:30) from the pad and optimistically an earlier departure for home.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #18090 on: 12 July, 2022, 05:16:10 pm »
I've got a 30 minute Zoom call at 7pm, so my plan is to get to the Axe & Compasses just before then, and have the call sat outside in the beer garden. Will be free from 7:30pm onwards ... and like Huggy, I have optimistic plans for an early departure

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18091 on: 12 July, 2022, 05:54:55 pm »
I've got a 30 minute Zoom call at 7pm, so my plan is to get to the Axe & Compasses just before then, and have the call sat outside in the beer garden. Will be free from 7:30pm onwards ... and like Huggy, I have optimistic plans for an early departure

Let's all get there in time for the Zoom call  ;D  Fancy dress?  Kazoos?  Animal impressions?

« Reply #18092 on: 12 July, 2022, 06:41:55 pm »

Let's all get there in time for the Zoom call  ;D  Fancy dress?  Kazoos?  Animal impressions?

That's all good. Mind you, I got the time wrong, so if you could turn up at 7:30pm that would be perfect  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18095 on: 13 July, 2022, 02:33:54 pm »
I'll launch about the same time and will see you there.  Also leaving early(ish)

Route for the Witham Peloton 6:30pm launch

« Reply #18096 on: 14 July, 2022, 09:11:09 am »
Another enjoyable evening, albeit surprisingly cold after such a warm day and early evening.

@Grey Sheep (and jiberjaber), thank you for the bike fit recommendation. I now have a booking with Chris at Yellow Jersey.

EDIT: just read the confirmation email, and it says 'don't ride to the bike fitting' ... why would that be the case?

« Reply #18097 on: 14 July, 2022, 10:48:01 am »
Another enjoyable evening, albeit surprisingly cold after such a warm day and early evening.

@Grey Sheep (and jiberjaber), thank you for the bike fit recommendation. I now have a booking with Chris at Yellow Jersey.

EDIT: just read the confirmation email, and it says 'don't ride to the bike fitting' ... why would that be the case?

No idea, I rode to both of mine and it wasn't mentioned.
I did ask how people used the 2 bike fittings at a reduced price (did they tow one behind the other, or carry it?) and they said that most people did come by car. 
Personally, for me, its a nice ride through some very quiet lanes.  There is a coffee shop next door if you are early, and a 'spoons next door but one.

Thanks for organising the Dutch trip - turns out I did book the right date (from your flier), but had the wrong day in mind from the other post  :facepalm:

« Reply #18098 on: 14 July, 2022, 12:51:12 pm »
I'd spotted Cloud9 on street view, and intend to have a second breakfast there on the day of the bike fit.

Yellow Jersey have responded on the cycling question. It's down to sweat. I'd guess the dots don't stick very well on wet skin. But they said as long as I've cooled down beforehand, there's no issues cycling there.

« Reply #18099 on: 16 July, 2022, 07:40:33 pm »
Evening all.

The kids have finished school for the term so Dad's taxi has been parked and I am looking forward to some MEMWNS Adventures.

Could I throw out a suggestion for the Spiritual Home this week as Jos is off to his big race next weekend so we can all wish him luck.
Plus its a nice ride for me  :P

Thanks
Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation