Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226929 times)

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1050 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:35:02 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1051 on: 29 August, 2017, 10:41:00 pm »
There's video to prove it really happened:

(Warning: there's shouting).

Semi final. https://youtu.be/qMBdV_NsjUk

Final. https://youtu.be/Q0zQiJ59oa0

« Reply #1052 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:58:15 pm »
great job.

Chris S

« Reply #1053 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »
First time on the Concept 2 since January; a summer of the Beer 'n Crisps diet has done nothing to help my 500m splits.

Ah well.

simonp

« Reply #1054 on: 15 September, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
I'm traing with the senior squad now. Help! 4 or 5 of us that were racing in the IM3 4+ during the regatta season are giving it a go. It mainly means a lot more training commitment. Expect to see me doing even less Audax next year.

I'm psyching myself up to do a 2K test - possibly on Sunday. One of the other senior squad lads says sub 7 should be easy now. Riiiight.

I'm going to try holding 1:45 for 1500m and if I have anything left in the final 500m wind it up. Given I pulled 1:40.something for 1K recently it might just work!

Chris S

« Reply #1055 on: 15 September, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »
If you're a follower of Concept 2 on Facebook, you may have seen the video of Josh Dunkley-Smith setting a new Oz 2km record of 5:38.6. Insane - he doesn't even look that fazed as he grinds out 1:25 splits. Incredible!

simonp

« Reply #1056 on: 16 September, 2017, 05:51:47 pm »
If you're a follower of Concept 2 on Facebook, you may have seen the video of Josh Dunkley-Smith setting a new Oz 2km record of 5:38.6. Insane - he doesn't even look that fazed as he grinds out 1:25 splits. Incredible!

Yep. Saw that. The guy's a monster. Barefoot too.

I daren't put in his splits to see the power numbers. I know that my 1K PBP is about 350 Watts.

simonp

« Reply #1057 on: 16 September, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »
First time in a sculling boat (double) since April. First time I was in a fine sculling boat and not shitting myself. After warming up separately just rowed off - didn't phase me at all.

Not been out in a fine single yet, in two years. Might want to try the stable single first!

« Reply #1058 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:10:20 am »
you may not need to, a few outings in a fine double should learn you the basics of boat control - just take older, heavier blades with you to get more stability from them and make sure you've got someone on the bank with a throwline, and a dry set of kit in the changing rooms :)

(most of our novices go straight from double to fine single.  A few use the 'explorer' boat we've got but there's no real difference in speed of learning)

Falling in is nothing to worry about, I do it every six months or so......

simonp

« Reply #1059 on: 26 September, 2017, 02:46:12 pm »
Cheers for the tips. Fine double again last night and I was the more experienced sculler, so was in bow. We row on has lots of curves and overhanding trees for extra fun.

On Sunday might be going out in a pair. Boat isn’t currently rigged, if we rig it as a pair we will have to bow rig it as I’m in stroke on the outing plan.

simonp

« Reply #1060 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:02:03 pm »
Did 12k in a double instead of a pair. It helps to have someone competent in bow!

Unfortunately am out for a while now with a sprained wrist. Also going to need a trophy cabinet: won first pot, then at the club dinner jointly won dolphin of the year, and won best male newcomer, and also have an ultra randonneur thingy on the way.  :facepalm:

I’m going to try to palm off the dolphin prize on one of the others in our capsizing 4 as it looks breakable and we have cats.

« Reply #1061 on: 20 October, 2017, 08:26:02 am »
Heading out in this next week- weather permitting : https://crastercoastalrowingclub.com/

A whole different kettle of fish.

simonp

« Reply #1062 on: 27 January, 2018, 07:57:09 pm »
Back rowing with the performance squad today after a test outing with the dev men last weekend to see if I was ready. Wrist didn't react too badly last weekend and so far (with a couple of doses of vitamin I) no reaction to today's outings.

4+ UT2 this morning for an hour then later on 8+ with some real work, 10 on 10 off up and down the river. Coach pushed us hard on this one and we did some real work.

Given I've been out for 3-4 months and both crews were untried combinations, it went very well, and my wrist is ok so far.

simonp

« Reply #1063 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »
Yesterday was two hard sessions in 4+, first time in our best 4 which was unexpectedly bow-rigged. I was surprised how light the boat was compared to the tanks we normally row. It was also a bow-loader and seemed to be quite fast. This will be going to Worcester Head next weekend though I am not in the race crew, not been back long enough to put my name down.

Today I went out in a stable single. Stable seems to be a term with various interpretations. This is my first time in a single since learning to row, excluding a session pottering about within sight of the club in a training boat, about 2 and a half years ago. The conditions were tricky: lots of stream, river up over the slipway, low sun, and windy. One of the other scullers out today described it as "adventure sculling". Well managed to paddle around for 4km and got a lot more confident. Knackered now.

I'm down to do some more sculling next weekend in the stable single and a fine double. Would be good to get more sculling time as I think it will help with bad habits. Not quite ready to try a fine single, particularly in the conditions we've been having - and it would be very cold if I went in!

« Reply #1064 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:08:32 am »
Stable seems to be a term with various interpretations.

;D ;D

we've got some 'explorer' boats at ours, they're 2x the width of a normal single and even though they're quite hard to capsize they definitely let you know if your timing isn't right or you make a mess of the finish!  Stick at it..

simonp

« Reply #1065 on: 12 February, 2018, 06:23:21 pm »
Stable seems to be a term with various interpretations.

;D ;D

we've got some 'explorer' boats at ours, they're 2x the width of a normal single and even though they're quite hard to capsize they definitely let you know if your timing isn't right or you make a mess of the finish!  Stick at it..

Yeah they’re explorers. We have two singles and a double. More time booked next weekend.

simonp

« Reply #1066 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:47:25 pm »
Hmm, 5K test required this month.

:facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #1067 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:45:44 pm »
How not to do rowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hereford-worcester-43044172/rowers-hit-barge-in-river-crash-by-the-camp-house-inn-near-worcester

Worcester Head Race is tomorrow and the course has been shortened to start downstream of this location, AIUI.

I've just volunteered to be a stand-in if the bow man in our 4+ needs to drop out. I've not done a long piece in ages so the race being only 4km would suit me well.

simonp

« Reply #1068 on: 19 February, 2018, 10:55:28 pm »
So I sat in bow. The race went back to 6km distance. I've never done a 6km piece before, never rowed in that crew. We did ok, in that we weren't slowest in our division.

I'd have liked more than a day's notice - I did weights on Thursday and still didn't like stairs. I didn't feel too bad during the race though.

Then yesterday back at the club, apparently it's now regatta training already. So we ended up doing 3x race starts. FFS!  ;D

simonp

« Reply #1069 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:52:03 pm »
5K tonight, after having not trained in pretty much a week apart from a priming workout yesterday, after a bit of lurgy.

Really struggled to breathe, bit of a fly and die, managed 19:45.2.

Oh well, at least there's room for improvement.

simonp

« Reply #1070 on: 29 April, 2018, 10:12:05 pm »
Busy weekend at training camp. 61km of rowing over 3 days in 4-, 4+, stable 1x, 8+. Camp was at Wimbleball lake on Exmoor. The weather was unfriendly, cold and wet and windy. The 1x was very unpleasant.

Absolutely knackered now. Very productive few days, though.

Chris S

« Reply #1071 on: 06 May, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
Today, fboab and I have been coastal rowing. Great fun!

simonp

« Reply #1072 on: 06 May, 2018, 09:18:08 pm »
Nice.

We had beautiful conditions on the Avon this weekend.

simonp

« Reply #1073 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:47:01 am »
Well I’m in the senior crew for first 4+ of regatta season. Oldest in the boat by 16 years.  :o

My 2K times are not what they were a year ago but the other guy for bow seat is slower and didn’t even post a time. So I’m in by default.  ;D

Saturday 1500m gonna hurt.

simonp

« Reply #1074 on: 09 May, 2018, 04:43:54 pm »
Ow!

5x500m 1:49.2 at lunchtime.