Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
First Bryan for me.... let's talk about food.
I got around LEL and PBP because of the availability of HOT and quick food.
(Actually not so quick on PBP but that's for another day)

To the people with experience (!) what did you eat? garages? Greg's?! where, what, when? all the details please!
This is a make or break factor for me.
Thanks a lot in advance
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 09:58:07 am »
I rather think you're right...
Well, new tube acquired and fitted. No obvious reason for the puncture found. It was a sidewall job, so probably acquired down a bridleway I use. It has rather shattered my faith in Slime tubes though, as it wasn't a large hole. Bearing Kim's point, I've kept the valve gunk-free and will have a spare tube now. However, puncture patches located, but can I find the glue? No.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 09:51:32 am »
Stranger on the Shore - Acker Bilk
Up in London's Famous London today, helping marshall The Tweed Run (great fun btw). We finish at Spa Fields. I go into The Bourne and Hollingsworth building to buy a pint of BEER. That'll be £7.13. <faints>. I know I'm in London and they need to pay for the streets to be paved in gold, but that made me wince. Delving further, it's £6.50 for the beer plus 12.5% service. I'm not quite sure what service was involved in pouring a pint of beer into a plastic glass.

Don't ask for a glass of white wine in the member's bar at The Tate Modern.
£19.00
I kid you not.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 09:43:09 am »
Puppet on a String - Sandie Shaw
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by meddyg on Today at 09:42:45 am »
Our ten year old system (probably just a wiring laid in screed)
just blew up and electrician has condemned it saying ' you'll never find the site of break/burnout....'

What a cold kitchen we now have!
how much lower are our elec bills!

We'll probably use
https://www.warmup.co.uk/underfloor-heating

to re-instate. Sergeant Pluck might like to take a look.
They are German and have expertise in wet and electric mats- maybe just lay a new  mat on one end of the kitchen without fittings and furnishings for us! Though they reckon it's a micro thin mat which will barely raise floor lwevels. Hm.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 09:42:20 am »
The forecast for Chester-le-Street is rain until 4pm with a maximum temperature of 7°C. That’s like asking people to play cricket in January.
By the way, I've always been disappointed by the difference between my effortful speeds on a "fast light bike with fast tyres" and the other sort. On the whole, less than 1mph. Is it me??

Mathematically speaking, bicycle speed is largely a function of power output vs wind resistance (mostly of your body) and on particularly hilly rides power vs weight (again, mostly of your body). While the style of bike can definitely influence those things, for the same rider on two vaguely similar bikes they're going to work out pretty close.

Rolling resistance, bicycle weight, gearing, even the weight of a bit of luggage has a much smaller influence than many road club bores people who've watched too much GCN people assume.

Ergonomics or bike fit is something I pay most attention to.  It's also nice to have gearing that suits your power band.  My first century ride I wore jeans and trainers, a lot of people did.  Lycra and cycling shoes are much better.

WRT weight, I turn up to club rides on old steel bikes and people with carbon fibre have expressed their amazement when I reach the tops of hills.  Especially the younger ones (people, not hills)..
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by T42 on Today at 09:02:31 am »
I knew it was a thing, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen someone hoovering their Shit Lawn (plastic). Ghastly stuff.

Yesterday, being a Saturday, I saw not a few people down on their knees by the gutter, scraping out the crack between kerb and pavement with a miniature scraping implement. Because today, of course, is Sunday.

Alsace does retain a lot of Germanic habits. Or maybe just manic.  Having spent my formative years in French France, I couldn't be arsed.
Rides and Touring / Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024
« Last post by SpaceBadger on Today at 08:53:39 am »
I'm looking forward to this one in a week's time. I'm over for the day, via the Southampton ferry. Anyone else heading over? I've met very few YACFers over the years and it would be nice to say hello to a few more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10