Author Topic: Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh  (Read 1317 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh
« on: 28 September, 2014, 09:47:46 am »
I caught the train to Berwick-upon-Tweed from Durham, ~£8, which was a lot less expensive than Durham to Edinburgh.  This gave me a chance to ride to Edinburgh the day after #indyref.  The roads were quiet.  Trying to work out a route before the trip meant having to make a decision between riding around the coast or going over the Lammermuir hills.  There were two things which put me off the coastal route; the first was that it used sections of the A1 and that seemed an unpleasant options.  The second was that there seemed to be a greater total climb than simply going over the hills.  The B6355 had lots of signs warning about Bikers riding too fast - thankfully they were all still in bed; so I don't know whether this really is a good route or not.  It was quiet for me, and a really nice gentle tour.

I rode down to Berwick-upon-Tweed harbour, then up past Whiteadder reservoir before dropping down to the harbour at Mussleburgh. The route in to Edinburgh on the northern side of the railway was great because of the views of the city.

This was a ride to Edinburgh the day before the Three Glens Explorer audax, the 160km event on the 22nd Sept.

I've written up the experience in my journal as usual; the place where I store these memories.
Lammermuir Hills

Re: Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:49:17 am »
Lovely, with great pictures, thank you!