Author Topic: Essex to the north Norfolk coast and back  (Read 3286 times)

ChillyPanda

Essex to the north Norfolk coast and back
« on: 07 November, 2015, 04:45:58 pm »
Last week I rode my longest day ride to date - 330km from Essex to the north Norfolk coast and back.

It was also my first DIY GPS audax.

The weather started well, but went downhill quickly. Heavy rain and wind stayed with me across the fens. All I can say is that I'm now a big fan of Rainlegs. I really don't care that they look kinda ... odd.

I've been thinking about riding the Flatlands 600 next year, but last week's ride has given me a reality check. Riding into the wind for long periods, exposed, on the flat, is hard, really hard.

Would I do it again ... yes.

Highlights:
1. watching the sun rise
2. fish'n'chip lunch at the halfway point
3. lovely quiet lanes near Sandringham

Lowlights:
1. rain
2. wind
3. crazy drivers in King's Lynn (who seem to think that all cyclists must only cycle along glass-strewn cycle paths, rather than on the road)

I shot a little bit of video of my trip. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/7XlPDj_BOPA

Re: Essex to the north Norfolk coast and back
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2015, 05:51:39 pm »
Does blow a bit over the fens doesn't it? Enjoyed that vid. Well done.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »
Excellent. I've ridden a lot of those roads...

...but not in one go!  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »
Started watching the Essex-Norfolk video ...but got distracted by the Lon Las Cymru one instead!  ;D  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2015, 07:49:31 pm »
Like the video.  Really captures the feel of a long day out on the road. 

Got to agree about wind on the flat though; I'd rather have hills any day of the week.

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:30:40 pm »
The expression on your face at the end said a lot! I think I'd have lost interest in video by then, so well done and thanks for sharing.

« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:03:16 am »
Did you ride through the grounds of Holkham Hall? It's always a highlight of any ride up in that area. I saw on the video you followed the seemingly endlesss wall to thje South of the estate.

ChillyPanda

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:02:56 am »
Started watching the Essex-Norfolk video ...but got distracted by the Lon Las Cymru one instead!  ;D  :thumbsup:
Thanks nikki. I really enjoyed riding LLC back in May. I would thoroughly recommend it, take 5, 6 days or longer. The scenery is amazing. In my book, cycling and camping are the perfect combination to experience a place and see the countryside. Well, when it's not raining  anyway  :)

The expression on your face at the end said a lot! I think I'd have lost interest in video by then, so well done and thanks for sharing.
Hi perpetual dan, the camera didn't come out during the last 4 hours of the ride. It was too dark, but when I got home I thought I'd better get the camera out to at least mark the finish, although I wasn't much motivated. Just wanted bed!

Did you ride through the grounds of Holkham Hall? It's always a highlight of any ride up in that area. I saw on the video you followed the seemingly endlesss wall to thje South of the estate.
I must have missed Holkham Hall, which is a shame. Just checked my route and I think I must have skirted around the bottom of the estate, via North Creake.
I'll add Holkham Hall to my my list of places to visit.

« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:40:59 am »
I must have missed Holkham Hall, which is a shame. Just checked my route and I think I must have skirted around the bottom of the estate, via North Creake.
I'll add Holkham Hall to my my list of places to visit.

A couple of YACF rides that went there, from several years ago:

:thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2015, 10:25:06 am »
Thanks nikki. I really enjoyed riding LLC back in May. I would thoroughly recommend it, take 5, 6 days or longer. The scenery is amazing. In my book, cycling and camping are the perfect combination to experience a place and see the countryside. Well, when it's not raining  anyway  :)

*nods* I accompanied Wowbagger for a few days of a Welsh Coast-to-Coast a couple off years ago as my first touring experience (ride reports start about here) and recognise both that sentiment and a few of the locations in your video*.

Also my grandparents lived the other side of the toll bridge to Penrhyndeudraeth, so the view of the estuary in the background here is one that's engrained on my memory from childhood visits.

*There was a lot of rain, but I still got bitten by the touring bug  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:53:36 pm »
i  was  in Wells that  day ! 

I saw the bike and thought I  bet he's on here.  I think walked passed you putting your over  shoes on

Wrong place for  fish and chips - you should go to Frenchs!

ChillyPanda

« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2015, 10:56:06 pm »
I saw the bike and thought I  bet he's on here.  I think walked passed you putting your over  shoes on

Wrong place for  fish and chips - you should go to Frenchs!

Ha, what a small world we live in. You should have said hello.

I scoped French's but couldn't see a suitable place to park my bike. I opted for the Golden Fleece instead. No complaints - good food, beer and service. Perhaps a bit more pricey than I normally go for though!

ChillyPanda

« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:16:23 pm »
*nods* I accompanied Wowbagger for a few days of a Welsh Coast-to-Coast a couple off years ago as my first touring experience (ride reports start about here) and recognise both that sentiment and a few of the locations in your video*.

Ah nikki, I'd like to say thanks to you (and Wowbagger). Those posts are the very ones that helped inspire me to ride LLC a few months ago  :thumbsup:

I will definitely ride the Lon Las Cymru route again, but next time from south to north Wales, over the Gospel Pass.

What do you have planned for your next tour?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #13 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:14:59 am »
Splendid report. Enjoyed that!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »
Ah nikki, I'd like to say thanks to you (and Wowbagger). Those posts are the very ones that helped inspire me to ride LLC a few months ago  :thumbsup:

Heh! Splendid!
This place is a bit dangerous for things like that - careless talk and all that...

I will definitely ride the Lon Las Cymru route again, but next time from south to north Wales, over the Gospel Pass.

There's Kim's ride report from last year too, if you haven't already encountered it: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84856.0

What do you have planned for your next tour?

I've got a bad case of knees and feets at the moment, so all plans are parked as .gpx files until my body starts behaving again. I rather fancy doing an Elan Aqeduct one that starts at the Elan Reservoirs scale model in Cannon Hill Park (Birmingham), then up to Frankley Reservoir and then wiggles over to the Elan Reservoirs (full size) via a thoroughly impractical route that crosses the line of the pipe as often as enthusiasm deems possible.

The other ones I've invoked on here and must do someday are a Birmingham to somewhere in the South West, via the Severn Bore and Purton Hulks. And a Dartmoor or somewhere else very dark during the Perseid meteor shower. There, I've said them again now; definitely going to have to do them!

In the meantime, all touring is vicarious, so keep the ride reports coming, everyone!

« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:30:24 am »
Nice report - 300 is a long ride by yourself and in the autumn too... well done. Flatlands is good, you'll have more company ;-)

ChillyPanda

« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2015, 10:46:09 am »
Thanks alotronic.

I registered for the Flatlands event just yesterday funnily enough as part of my attempt to complete an Essex SR. It's a long way off, but want something to aim toward over the coming winter months.

I think the company would be a nice thing on the longer rides, particularly in darkness to help stay alert. During the last couple of hours of my ride to Wells I experienced some interesting visuals. I was convinced I was seeing lit-up Halloween pumpkins when I riding through the pitch-dark lanes, but they always turned out to be just the windows of houses in the distance. Tiredness plays interesting mind games!