Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858571 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3250 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:00:29 am »
El Salvador has the world's highest per capita consumption of Worcestershire Sauce.

Some years ago, I asked for a Tomato juice on an internal USA flight.  I asked if they had any Worcestershire sauce (pronounced the correct, British way).  The stewardess, noting the clearly Brit passenger said that she thought she had some in her bag, and went off to get it.  Came back, added the magic ingredient to my TJ, then asked me to repeat my (correct) pronounciation.  Just for fun as it were, and I obliged.  Big grin on her face.

On disembarking, she stopped me at the door and said "Just one more time......?

It must be terrible for the USAnians, can't pronounce Worcestershire, aluminium, nuclear.... I could go on.....

Which reminds me.....  Boarding the shuttle from Heathrow to Edinburgh many years ago, walking down the aisle behind an obviously American gentleman, in his hat and checked trousers, behind his equally striking wife.  She turned to him and in that loud, booming vocal style that they can have said " Gee, Elmer, honeybun, are you sure this is the 'plane to Ee-din-berg?  Smirks all around from those in earshot (so most of the 'plane then).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3251 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:05:30 am »
I may have said this previously, but try asking in vain hope, for HP sauce at Louis Armstrong International.

Then try it in Toronto and be amazed at the hugely different response "gee honey, of course I can get you some"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3252 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:18:52 pm »
That there's such a thing as a Fab lolly, and it is indeed Thunderbirds-based.

(It's a feminine version of a Zoom, apparently.   ::-))

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3253 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:26:09 pm »
52 years old, how did you miss out on that?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3254 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:28:17 pm »

I reckon it's a glitch in the matrix.  Like that point in 1999 or so when suddenly Harry Potter was a thing that existed and everyone had read it.

ian

« Reply #3255 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:46:01 pm »
El Salvador has the world's highest per capita consumption of Worcestershire Sauce.

Some years ago, I asked for a Tomato juice on an internal USA flight.  I asked if they had any Worcestershire sauce (pronounced the correct, British way).  The stewardess, noting the clearly Brit passenger said that she thought she had some in her bag, and went off to get it.  Came back, added the magic ingredient to my TJ, then asked me to repeat my (correct) pronounciation.  Just for fun as it were, and I obliged.  Big grin on her face.

On disembarking, she stopped me at the door and said "Just one more time......?

It must be terrible for the USAnians, can't pronounce Worcestershire, aluminium, nuclear.... I could go on.....

Which reminds me.....  Boarding the shuttle from Heathrow to Edinburgh many years ago, walking down the aisle behind an obviously American gentleman, in his hat and checked trousers, behind his equally striking wife.  She turned to him and in that loud, booming vocal style that they can have said " Gee, Elmer, honeybun, are you sure this is the 'plane to Ee-din-berg?  Smirks all around from those in earshot (so most of the 'plane then).

There is an Edinboro in PA, and there's an Edinboro University there (of course, where else would you put it?). Apparently named after the Scottish capital. That seemed a peculiarly common pronunciation, people often struggled with Edinburgh (the university of which being my alma mater, came up a lot). The others berged it.

Connecticut had some splendid pronunciations of British place names. A perfectly phonetic Norwich made me laugh every time. CO-ven-try. Thames as you'd imagine it ought to pronounced. Greenwich is correct though and older people in Norwich do still seem to say it the British way and elide the w.

Worcester, MA is WOOster though Warwick, RI, is is WAR-wick, though New Englander do like to strangle their Rs like a serial killer in a basement, so it's more of a Wuw-wick. It's very confusing.

On the plus side, (some) American women found the British accent strangely aphrodisiacal, a phenomenon that I, of course, never once exploited.

ElyDave

« Reply #3256 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:13:02 pm »
That there's such a thing as a Fab lolly, and it is indeed Thunderbirds-based.

(It's a feminine version of a Zoom, apparently.   ::-))

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Kim doesn't know something  :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3257 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:21:48 pm »

Kim doesn't know loads of things.  I'm especially rubbish at music, sport and ex-prime-ministers...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3258 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:27:15 pm »
That tractor developer Harry Ferguson was also an aviation pioneer, the first person in Britain and Ireland to build and fly his own plane (1909).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3259 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:14:49 pm »
That tractor developer Harry Ferguson was also an aviation pioneer, the first person in Britain and Ireland to build and fly his own plane (1909).

I suspect there's some extra qualifications in there; IIRC both Samuel Cody and AV Roe had first flights in 1908

ElyDave

« Reply #3260 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:53:08 am »
Samuel Cody = american?
Avro founded 1910 as a company, but that does not preclude earlier flights of course

« Reply #3261 on: 27 February, 2019, 11:59:10 am »
That my place of employment has a Kan Ban sytem with every conceivable size and type of screw/bolt from M2 to M8. Perfect for fettling spares  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3262 on: 27 February, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »
Samuel Cody = american?
Avro founded 1910 as a company, but that does not preclude earlier flights of course
Samuel Cody was American - A showman  - Pioneer in man-lifting kites.
Alliott Verdon Roe successfully flew his first aircraft at Brooklands in June 1908.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3263 on: 27 February, 2019, 01:51:58 pm »
Cody was American but flew at Farnborough. Maybe Ferguson's first was that he built and flew his own plane? Or perhaps he was the first in Ireland.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3264 on: 27 February, 2019, 02:58:20 pm »

I reckon it's a glitch in the matrix.  Like that point in 1999 or so when suddenly Harry Potter was a thing that existed and everyone had read it.

Kim's 52:o  :o  :o

Deffo a glitch . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3265 on: 27 February, 2019, 03:28:56 pm »
Suspect the stripy ice lollies are 52, not Kim...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3266 on: 27 February, 2019, 03:34:21 pm »
It seems Kim was really born in 1984 but has an official birthdate in 1982 for symbolic reasons (it's 70 years after the birth of the founder of the Kim dynasty). Or are we talking about the Kim who doesn't actually want to blow up the world even though she does actually know how?  ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3267 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:11:03 pm »
Suspect the stripy ice lollies are 52, not Kim...
Yes, that's what I meant :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3268 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:19:10 pm »
Yeah, I'm not quite that old, and AFAIK don't have access to unclear weapons.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3269 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:32:16 pm »
We'll all sleep better at nights knowing that...  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3270 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:35:23 pm »
But if a teenager in Florida can create nuclear fusion in his bedroom (albeit with $500,000 worth of equipment and power), then surely you could molish something pretty deadly out of a ice lolly stick, a rubber band and some easily obtainable from Ebay plutonium-239?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3271 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:48:52 pm »
I thought it was due to an accident with "an irrational particle accelerator, a liquid lunch, and a couple of rubber bands"...
VELOMANCER

ElyDave

« Reply #3272 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:26:37 pm »
what do you think I'm trying to do in my shed.  That's glow's not from the twin flourescents

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3273 on: 28 February, 2019, 03:42:12 pm »
In the early days of WW1, parrots were kept in the Eiffel Tower to give warning of approaching enemy aircraft.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3274 on: 02 March, 2019, 10:06:15 pm »

Kim doesn't know loads of things.  I'm especially rubbish at music, sport and ex-prime-ministers...
You're showing a typical word-medallist's disdain for other events.  ;)