Linked Events

• Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend: 09 October, 2015 - 11 October, 2015

Author Topic: Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend - 9th-11th October 2015  (Read 22288 times)

While riding up Great Dun Fell last week, I thought that Dufton would make an excellent location for a camping/hostelling weekend.

Dufton on a map, for those who don't know this remote bit of the Pennines.

Different map: https://goo.gl/maps/mbFgC

It's wonderfully remote, but entirely accessible from Penrith - it's about 14 non-A66 miles and not-flat miles from the west coast mainline (Penrith), and about 4 not-flat miles from the nearest station at Appleby (which would require a change at Carlisle if coming up the west coast, or Leeds if coming via the east coast). Bus services seem to be infrequent to non-existent, but a group cab from Appleby would probably be doable.

Needless to say, it's absurdly easy to get to by car (just off the A66), and the nearest shop is probably Appleby.

I don't think I really need to sell the location that much, but I was thinking of a Saturday ride (each at their own pace!) up to the radar station, which at 848 metres is the highest road in Britain, and has been described as England's Mont Ventoux. A military road (ie no cars!) up to the radar station at the summit of Great Dun Fell, blast back down, then have a pint in Dufton. Faster riders can do it twice, and lay in provisions at the top for the slower riders ;)

There's a lovely description on the Cleveland Wheelers website - since they'll know the North Yorks Moors, they know what they're talking about. It took me nearly an hour, though that included photos, sheep-herding and a headwind.

Of course, everyone would be entirely free to ride wherever they liked, or doss about as much as they liked, and there are loads of other places to go. The walking opportunities are fabulous as Dufton is on the Pennine Way, and there's a bridleway from the village leading up the side of the astonishing glacial valley, High Cup, for walking/comedy offroading opportunities:

I was thinking of late September or early October, arrive on Friday, depart on Sunday, and mostly camping, though Dufton is very useful in that is also has a YHA for more comfort/warmth/properbeds/en-suite facilities/breakfast (although I've had a quick check, and it does seem to fill up very quickly!), and Dufton also has a pub, for food and meet-up purposes. It's an infeasibly pretty village:

(note the snow on the tops in April - the hill immediately in the background is Dufton Pike, the radar station is not-quite visible in the taller hills beyond)

Campsite: http://www.duftoncaravanpark.co.uk

The red squirrel photo isn't just advertising - I did see a red squirrel there, the one time I've camped there. It is a bit functional - the last time I was there in 2011, it was basically a static caravan park with a token bit in the middle for lightweight campers (I camped behind one of the empty statics, hence the squrl spot). Decent toilets and showers, though.

Edited 22/06/2015 - this will now take place the weekend Friday 9th October to Sunday 11th October 2015, and it's now camping only (unless you get lucky at the YHA, but you'll have to make your own arrangements)

Attending:

JenM (+ van?)
Deano
"Uncle" Peter
Kim
boab + Chris S
andrewc
Woolly, peli and Tilley
Steve GT
lanterne rouge
madcow + 1
CrinklyLion + cubs
Wowbagger & Mrs Wow
PB + P

Possibles:

Canardly
Loadsabikes

Info about costs

(Some of this is available on the website)

Some info from the owners:

£20 per night for family-sized tents
£20 per night for campervans/caravans (same price whether leccy hookup is required or not)

£7 per night for lightweight campers

Parking and stuff is on the website.

Updated 06/10/15 - notes for riders to the site

1. Beware the Penrith one-way system! It's caught out many a rider. It's actually OK going south, but going north, it's a pain. I would suggest that you stay north of the A66 when returning to Penrith.

2. Penrith station is uphill - bear this in mind when returning.

3. Suggested route to Dufton: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/6738924

(This goes via Appleby, so is also relevant to anyone riding from Appleby - I think I've routed it to the Co Op, which is on your right after you cross the river - probably best to get any provisions there, though there are big supermarkets in Penrith if you don't mind carting a couple of pints of milk etc around)

3a. Why not visit the Hoff while you're passing? There's a road sign and everything. It is uphill from Appleby, mind.

4. Alternative route to the north: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/6738926

(You can follow lanes to Langwathby, and this is the C2C route, but it's hillier and you end up on the A686 anyway as there isn't another nearby crossing of the Eden - it's all lanes after Langwathby.)

Re: Dufton (Cumbria) camping-possibly hostelling weekend - early autumn
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »
More photos of the climb to the radar station on Great Dun Fell:

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2015, 12:01:48 am »
Dean, I can't say I can definitely come, yet, but I'm going to be desperate for some hills by then and the fact that the climb itself is traffic-free is very attractive.  As you say, there's so much to see and do on and off the bike.  That's a fabulous shot of the whinsill!

I'm definitely interested.  Probably train up to Appleby for me.

Pete

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2015, 12:21:49 am »
Yeah I fancy it.  The pub's a good'un too.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2015, 08:24:28 am »
Sounds like an excellent weekend to me :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
I fancy it, but I'm touring last week of September and First week of October so I'll have to watch the dates.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:56:42 am »
Oh yes - sounds a fine idea.

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:55:58 am »
Possibly. I will ask Mrs M.

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:59:00 am »
We'd love to especially the downhill bit on the tandem, however our autumn is crazy busy this year so we'll have to give it a miss. But if you do it again we'd love to come.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2015, 01:25:53 pm »
Interested.

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2015, 01:33:31 pm »
26th Sep is Venetian Nights, 4th Oct is the Breamish Behemoth.

Otherwise I'm there.

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:33:11 pm »
That's two people who can't do late September and early October.

11th October, anyone? I don't want to push it out much further as we'll start to hit half term and lose daylight. Early October's lovely, though.

I'll probably organise a poll about camping and stuff when I'm a bit less lurgified *sniff*

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »
Yep - that's good with me..

« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:22:43 pm »
And me.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »
9-11th October?  Cub weekend, that.  Mebbees.

« Reply #15 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:19:30 pm »
Not sure atm, lot going on domestically.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:40:55 pm »
It'd be cool if you could make it, Bob, but no worries if not.

I've had a quick look at the hostel's website - it seems to book up really far in advance. If you're really lucky, they might be advance bookings which are cancelled, but I reckon it's a camping weekend.

Everyone ok with camping? Once I have some idea of numbers, I'll give the site a call to make sure they can cope.

« Reply #17 on: 21 June, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »
I'm OK with tents.

« Reply #18 on: 21 June, 2015, 11:18:15 pm »
Yes tents no probs
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:24:10 am »
1 x campervan no elec
Ta

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:47:17 am »
Interested. Friday - Sunday (or Monday) is fine for me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:23:44 am »
Camping is fine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »
Have tent, will travel.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:27:21 pm »
It's not surprising that the youth hostel gets booked up quick: it's one of the stops on the Pennine Way.  Me, I avoided that problem by doing the hike in the middle of winter, though that raised the alternative problem that most of the hostels were closed!

Have tent, will also travel.

Re: Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend - 9th-11th October 2015
« Reply #24 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »
Thanks, everyone!

I've added it to the calendar (happily, this weekend coincides with Kim's birthday - I can't think of a better way to celebrate than riding a bike up a great bike hill, except perhaps riding a bike back down the hill...) and updated the OP.

I'll give the site a call and check everything's OK with a group coming. Plus a campervan.

I might give the YHA a call as well - apart from anything else, it's an extra food option, and a possible bail-out option if the weather turns vile.

I might even ride across to check everything out. This is not an excuse to go offroading with a tent around the Pennines. Not at all.