Author Topic: January in Mallorca??  (Read 2054 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
January in Mallorca??
« on: 12 December, 2018, 06:04:56 pm »
Myself and a couple of friends have booked a place in Puerto de Alcudia, Mallorca over New Year to do some cycling - anyone been in the area for NY and have any idea of what might still be open (Cafe's etc?)  I'm trying to work out what to take for ride food just in case...

TIA :)

Regards,

Joergen

Re: January in Mallorca??
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2018, 09:18:05 am »
I know the area quite well but never been to Mallorca that early in the year. By all accounts, it is wet, windy and miserable, and snow is likely, esp on the hills, which are the best part of cycling on Majorca. Even by late Feb (the earliest I’ve ever been), Alcudia is pretty dead. If the road to the monastery is open then the cafe at the top probably will be. Otherwise, cafes and bars frequented by locals will be open but a lot won’t open until the weather improves and the cycling hoardes arrive.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:31:49 am »
I know the area quite well but never been to Mallorca that early in the year. By all accounts, it is wet, windy and miserable, and snow is likely, esp on the hills, which are the best part of cycling on Majorca. Even by late Feb (the earliest I’ve ever been), Alcudia is pretty dead. If the road to the monastery is open then the cafe at the top probably will be. Otherwise, cafes and bars frequented by locals will be open but a lot won’t open until the weather improves and the cycling hoardes arrive.

Thanks for that, I'll approach with worst case in mind that it will be a day rides self sustained then  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2018, 12:04:31 pm »
My wife and I have had some good cycling holidays in Mallorca in January. My only reservation would be your choice of location. Although it is in a nice area for cycling being in the north of the island leaves it often exposed to the worst of the weather.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2018, 12:30:39 pm »
It can be dry and bright, but not always. Climate changes are affecting the island, there’s already been significant flooding this year.

There may well be some activity in Alcudia Old Town aroundd New Year. Lock at the ex-pat websites and Facebook groups.

One thing I personally would say is don’t ride in the wet. Especially, never go into the mountains if there’s any risk of wet. The roads are glacial to say the least.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2018, 04:36:31 pm »
It can be dry and bright, but not always. Climate changes are affecting the island, there’s already been significant flooding this year.

There may well be some activity in Alcudia Old Town aroundd New Year. Lock at the ex-pat websites and Facebook groups.

One thing I personally would say is don’t ride in the wet. Especially, never go into the mountains if there’s any risk of wet. The roads are glacial to say the least.

When you say Glacial what do you mean?  Icy? Cold? Slippy??  ???
Regards,

Joergen

January in Mallorca??
« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:23:23 pm »
Don’t ever ride on wet Majorcan mountain roads... they become like an ice rink and and no amount of tyre grip will make you feel secure even at 5mph like it happened to me at 312.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »

Ah ok, all other roads ok then? Just stay out of the mountain range on West? Or all stuff over a certain height?
Regards,

Joergen

January in Mallorca??
« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:38:22 pm »
I personally wouldn’t ride at all in wet. I’d say use your judgement and take some wet weather tyres with you if you’re hiring a bike or if you’re bringing your own bike, stick the grippiest tyres on possible. In dry weather, it’s like silk-marble tarmac which allows for very fast riding. Either way, lots of good riding is to be had out there!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:44:35 pm »
Ace. I'll be sticking to my g-ones anyhow. I'll let the other chaps know
Regards,

Joergen

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2018, 10:06:06 am »
This problem with wet roads seems to be a widespread spanish* thing. Anyone know the reason? I'm sure it is possible to make smooth tarmac that is still grippy in the wet - motor-racing tracks are fine.

(maybe you can go toooo smoooooooth ... )

*so just stay away from the Plain - sorted!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 14 December, 2018, 10:37:49 am »
Probably the type of aggregate used. Micro-texture (not macro-texture) on the larger aggregate provides most of the wet weather grip (dry skid resistance is mostly the result of a different mechanism) for bicycles on asphalt. Granite is good hard rock but it polishes smooth quite easily (e.g. shiny kitchen surfaces), so loses micro-texture quickly when trafficked. Limestone is good hard rock that retains good micro-texture for a long time. Other rocks behave differently, as you'd expect.

A quick skim of the literature review section of https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/ntec/documents/theses/alan-dunford.pdf gives a decent explanation for anybody who wants to understand skid resistance better. The skid resistance subject is further complicated by the effects of hydroplaning (not relevant to bicycles), by road authorities accepting lower skid resistance thresholds for low volume roads (where cyclists like to ride) and by testing generally being done by measuring sliding wheels (not really applicable to road bikes).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 14 December, 2018, 02:03:19 pm »
You learn something every day  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles