Author Topic: De training  (Read 1904 times)

De training
« on: 17 July, 2008, 10:47:24 am »
Does anybody understand the effects that a lay off from cycling has on the body ?and how long does it take to reach a resonable level again ?

Re: De training
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:51:02 am »
dont know about cycling but in rowing we used to recon that you needed half as long to get back to where you'd been - so if you had 2 months off, it would take 1 to get back.

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:51:32 am »
Does anybody understand the effects that a lay off from cycling has on the body ?and how long does it take to reach a resonable level again ?
I can't claim to understand it. I had a 5 month lay off from cycling and 4 months from all exercise, not even a walk to the shops. I was quite lightweight and very fit when I started this layoff. I started cycling after 5 months, four months later I'd say I am at a reasonable level, not where I was but capable of 100 miles in a day and the journey to here hasn't been very difficult. It's a difficult question to answer without knowing your start point and goal. It was important to me that I was able to get back to fitness and not get demotivated so I think a different person will have been able to get this far sooner than i did.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:55:34 am »
It also depends on your history - if you've got a good many years of fitness and strenth behind you I think it comes back faster.  I'm not very fit at all right now, but I'm still strong despite few miles.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 02:36:27 pm »
In my experience,  I tend to struggle a bit more than usual if I miss 2 club runs in a row.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:38:53 pm »
That fits with the general wisdom which is that you don't lose form over a layoff as much as a fortnight, then start to fade.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:24:39 pm »
Thanks for the replys, back cycling 15-20 miles now.Low gears and leaving the computer at home..Will tell you how I get on later.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:47:39 pm »
Ive done a few longish rides now ie..100k or so.These went quite well riding at a steady pace.Speed and power as declined a bit(last one up the hill on a club run)No more time trials this year.Will do some audax rides though. :thumbsup: