Author Topic: Riding the Ghost Audax - Landslip road closure  (Read 1882 times)

Riding the Ghost Audax - Landslip road closure
« on: 06 August, 2019, 10:54:32 pm »
My audax is on the 18-Aug, and it goes round Loch Katrine which got blocked by a pretty major (residents evacuated by boat) landslide on the north side. Its a private road so I don't think it will be a priority to clear.

I'm looking at options therefore, just in case.  Instead of going round the Loch from Stronachlachar, I could double back and go over the Dukes and rejoin the route there.  It adds ~6km, but the most direct removes 5km and my event is 204km.

Any thoughts on this from the panel ?

S2L

Re: Riding the Ghost Audax - Landslip road closure
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:15:27 am »
Don't see the problem in dropping to 199... it wouldn't be the first 200 in the calendar that comes under distance.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2019, 01:56:02 pm »
Cut out Katrine with the dukes pass and add a loop to Comrie from Braco?
I've not measured it. Would have entered this if I wasn't shrugging and pointing.

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
This went really well given the conditions which were dire for all but the last hour or so.

Tough day - first half was wet and very bumpy, the next third was windy and bumpy and then the sun came out for Carron Valley and Tak me Doon which were stunning (and bumpy).

Rode 1st 50km in a bunch and made good progress to Stronachlachar- original intention was to go N Side of Loch Katrine but a landslip had closed the road. Aberfoyle-Strionachlachar was beautiful, but the surfce was awful. Great scone and coffee at the Pier cafe which was superb, despite the torrential rain. Had a big cramp on leaving the pier, but thankfully it worked itself out after about 5km. Joined up with Ellie and Graham after about 80km and rode with them to the finish. Very much appreciated their company, especially on the long flat stretches which wore me down.

Want to go back and explore the Campsies, the Trossachs and the back of the Ochils in particular.

The initial "Strava Art" route would be well worth a trip - the N shore of the Loch Katrine and Achray and Venachar would have been fantastic.  Will sign up for this again to do the original route, but if the weather was as bad as yesterday would be a DNS...

Thumbs up for the organisation as well- the enforced route change after the brevet cards were printed must have been an organiser's nightmare. The soup at the end was great and the snacks and friendly face at the control at Logie Kirk were particularly welcome.

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2019, 08:31:08 am »
Thanks for that Paddy - I showed that to my wife (soupmaker) who was very happy with that   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2019, 07:49:42 pm »
Well done sg on organising such a successful first event, despite all the obstacles in your way.
But you've made a big mistake.
You made such a good job of it that you'll have to run it again next year.  :facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:15:34 pm »
What was the route used in the end?
When I saw mention of Logie Kirk I had a flashback to the one time I tried to ride up the brae, with a 11-25 block and stalling follwoed by failing to restart and having the ignominy of a pedestrian giving me a push start; this was before I discovered audax points chasing and was merely out for a gander.

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2019, 07:55:04 pm »
@Fifeingeejit

Lennoxtown - Aberfoyle - Stronachlachar - Aberfoyle - Doune - Braco - Sherrifmuir Road - Logie Kirk - Doune - Kippen - Fintry - Carron Valley - Tak me Doon - Lennoxtown.

I stopped at the top of the Logie Kirk Road to adjust my brakes as they had not slowed me down enough on the initial gradual descent- I'd driven up before and that was hard enough getting going again.

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:56:59 am »
A pal rode round Loch Katrine yesterday.  Thats the first I've heard anyone going round since it was closed. He says the damage out side of the main bits was really surrprising. Pretty much every burn on the northside is a real mess and heavy plant machinery everywhere.  The road on the bit that was closed has been cleared somewhat but beyond that not much clear up. (ie, that white car is still wrapped around the tree)

Its still officially closed.