Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450545 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3375 on: 02 February, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »
I can bring the tandem and we can have filthy bike swapping.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3376 on: 02 February, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »
Scotland is also very popular and I would definitely recommend it for cycling and food. Especially Fiddlers in Drumnodrochit on the banks of Loch Ness. Very good food, all fortified with whisky and probably every possible Scotch whisky available. Also worth touring Wales.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't disagree with Scotland as a destination for cyclists. Except maybe for the weather and the midgies!  ;D

May/June or September/early October are the best times to avoid the latter. As for the former, it's pot luck I'm afraid.  ::-)
Embrace your inner Fred.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #3377 on: 02 February, 2016, 07:52:02 pm »

Alf Tupper, that's a funny one! Kurt does like fish-n-chips... not to mention beer!!!  :thumbsup:

Still haven't tried beans on toast... will attempt to try and let you know...  ???
Really how can Kurt set a cycling record without the help of the cycling staples of fish n chips, beer and beans. Really these dam yanks!

Beer the is best carbo loading there is  :thumbsup:

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3378 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »
Yebbut... American beer? Yeuch!
Getting there...

« Reply #3379 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:08:52 pm »
Not sure whether you can get baked beans over there either,

Yes, I know that many on this board will disagree with me, but let's face it, the best beans in the universe are the Boston baked beans, delicately cooked in molasse, onions and mustard...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3380 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:12:17 pm »
Scotland is also very popular and I would definitely recommend it for cycling and food. Especially Fiddlers in Drumnodrochit on the banks of Loch Ness. Very good food, all fortified with whisky and probably every possible Scotch whisky available. Also worth touring Wales.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't disagree with Scotland as a destination for cyclists. Except maybe for the weather and the midgies!  ;D

May/June or September/early October are the best times to avoid the latter. As for the former, it's pot luck I'm afraid.  ::-)

We were chewed to bits by the little buggers when we were over on Mull in late May 2014. Western Scotland tends to get its best weather in April/early May and you would be very unlucky to meet midges then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3381 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:19:24 pm »
And people do come to Milton Keynes for a holiday, and return. It wouldn't be my first choice either but an American might feel more at home here with the grid road system and shopping centres. Plus it's handy for a lot of nice places to visit.

I suppose I'll have to admit staying there myself.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3382 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:41:02 pm »
Is fish'n'chips even a thing in USAnia? :o

It has been attempted - on at least one occasion.
My grandfather was Editor-in-Chief of a local newspaper group in Nottingham and as I recall the story they printed a special edition 'front-page' with spoof Robin-Hoodery to be exported to a new start up somewhere in USA that wanted to create the 'proper' fish & chips in newspaper experience.

Every Irish bar in the entire country (and there must be millions) proudly serves fish'n'chips. There will be few Americans not familiar, even if they've never succumbed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3383 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:42:10 pm »
How often does it turn out to be fish'n'crisps, thobut?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3384 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:45:39 pm »
How often does it turn out to be fish'n'crisps, thobut?

Never, in my experience (five visits to the USA so far this year, and several hundred in total).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3385 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:50:37 pm »
I remember falling foul of en_US 'chips' on a trip to the USA when I was a kid, but I don't think there was any fish involved.

« Reply #3386 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:02:10 am »
Sounds like some people need to visit the US again to update their stereotypical viewpoints.

No problem getting UK style real ales there when I lived there (west coast, east coast and a few random places in the middle), no shortage of curry or fish and chips either.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3387 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:11:47 am »
No problem getting UK style real ales there when I lived there

Actually cask-conditioned? Or 'craft' beers, which are keg?

(I'll point out that I'm being a beer pedant here, not a beer snob. There are many very fine craft beers, it's just that the provisional wing of CAMRA gets most exercised at the notion of anything other than cask-conditioned being thought of as 'real ale.' Meh, says I - if it tastes good, and it's real enough to drink, then that's real enough for me.)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #3388 on: 03 February, 2016, 04:12:23 am »
I never found a proper chippy whenever I've been to the USA. Not sure whether you can get baked beans over there either,
Tarzan and Whip would do well to come over to the UK, do some rides and enjoy some British stuff like fish, chips, beer in pubs and other stuff.

You can get baked beans this side of the water. I don't personally, can't stand the things, but my wife does.

I have yet to find what I'd call a "proper" chippy. One place about 15 miles from me serves fish and chips (and when they say "chips" they don't mean what a Brit would call crisps). The fish is breaded haddock in sticks (kind of like giant fish fingers, but fish fillets rather than tiny amounts of fish mashed up with lots of potato), and the chips are slices of potato cooked the way I'd expect chips to be cooked. It's nice, but not the same as English fish-n-chips.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #3389 on: 03 February, 2016, 04:15:13 am »
Yebbut... American beer? Yeuch!

I guess you never ventured further than Bud Lite.

American beer is much more varied than yellow fizzy garbage with Lite on the end of its name. Traditionally American beer was served ice cold on the basis it was the only way you could tell it from urine. Now they've got their acts together and there are small breweries all over the country. If you want IPA, stout, porters, red ales, pumpkin ales, Oktoberfest ales, lagers, bocks, you'll probably find something you like.

Only this evening I was eating in a place that has its own brewery and they probably had 20 different beers on the menu, not including beers they didn't brew themselves. I went for a flight of five of them (for the princely sum of $8) and had a variety of styles.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3390 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
Aye, as with much else all over the globe, the American palate has evolved.

I quite enjoyed this beer during a visit to California a few years ago:

Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3391 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:58:10 am »
I know Kurt has a bit of an aversion to sleep deprivation, but he'd be very welcome at the Mersey Roads 24. He could ask Joel about it, he's ridden it a couple of times.
It's UMCA sanctioned, and there's a lot to see locally: Chester, North Wales, Liverpool, and of course the legendary Raven Cafe.

« Reply #3392 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:47:54 am »
I never found a proper chippy whenever I've been to the USA. Not sure whether you can get baked beans over there either,
Tarzan and Whip would do well to come over to the UK, do some rides and enjoy some British stuff like fish, chips, beer in pubs and other stuff.

I don't believe this !

The 'baked bean' meal was brought to Europe from Eastern US / Canada. Baking beans was done by the Native First Nation People.
The first can of beans to come to the UK was only 130 years ago.

Have you never watched 'Blazing saddles' by Mel Brooks?

« Reply #3393 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:50:20 am »
yebbut those aren't proper heinz baked beans, they are some sort of forrin stuff
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3394 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:57:41 am »
http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/Our-Company/About-Heinz/Heinz-Story

I've dropped so many gaffs on this forum, it now pays to research.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3395 on: 03 February, 2016, 03:08:59 pm »
Aye, as with much else all over the globe, the American palate has evolved.

I quite enjoyed this beer during a visit to California a few years ago:

I first encountered thst in 2003, by 2008 thry had it on draught in the Wol Club in Battle Mountain :thumbsup:

In 2014 I spent a night about half a mile from the brewery in Fort Collins but by then I'd had to give it up chiz >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3396 on: 03 February, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »

I don't believe this !

The 'baked bean' meal was brought to Europe from Eastern US / Canada. Baking beans was done by the Native First Nation People.
The first can of beans to come to the UK was only 130 years ago.

Have you never watched 'Blazing saddles' by Mel Brooks?

Like I said, I'm not sure. It doesn't surprise me that you can get baked beans in the USA. I've been inside a Wal Mart and you seem to be able to buy anything there but I wasn't going to hunt around a giant maze for something I didn't want.
I never really thought of Blazing Saddles as a documentary. ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3397 on: 04 February, 2016, 06:46:40 pm »
Even more OT:
This post seems to have tripped our work firewall ("alcohol and tobacco" rule IIRC - no mention of firearms). This is very rare, I can see just about every other page on YACF.

A bit ironic, given the fuss about alcohol, UCMA rules etc 12 months ago ...

Anyhoo, as you were!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #3398 on: 04 February, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
And now of course your firewall can chew on firearms

« Reply #3399 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:47:41 pm »
This post seems to have tripped our work firewall

so we could effectively block you from the forum during working hours by have a sticky with a load of trigger words in?  ;D