Author Topic: fINER POINTS OF MOTORING LAW  (Read 1168 times)

fINER POINTS OF MOTORING LAW
« on: 13 January, 2013, 01:30:43 pm »
My dad died about 6 months ago ,shortly afterwards the tax expired on one of his vehicles so i declared it as sorn.
Now probate has been sorted i can dispose of the vehicle , however in the mean time the mot has expired . I intend to insure it tomorrow morning and i obviously need it mot'd prior to getting it taxed , so whats the legal situation regarding driving a sorn vehicle on the road in order to achieve an mot?

Re: fINER POINTS OF MOTORING LAW
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2013, 01:31:58 pm »
OK so long as you have an appointment at an MOT station.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2013, 01:38:58 pm »
OK so long as you have an appointment at an MOT station.

& the vehicle is insured

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2013, 01:41:36 pm »
pretty much as i thought

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »
If you're stopped, tell 'em P.C. Olbeck said it was ok ;)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »
Well publicised cases in the press indicate that you must take the shortest and most direct route and not stop for any other purpose (breaking down is presumably okay!) en route - one chap was prosecuted for stopping at a small shop en route to buy tobacco - no deviation, just stopping on the side of his route. If it fails I believe (usualy caveats) the same applies to your homeward journey and to any subsequent new MOT appointments.

Not sure whether you are expected to take it to the closest MOT station. I suppose that taking it to any 'resasonably local' MOT station would be okay (usual caveats) whereas driving it half the length of the UK supposedly en route to a test would be looked hard upon.

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »
I think you can drive it home having failed a test, OR to a place where it will be repaired, such as another garage.