Author Topic: Kidney Stones  (Read 1052 times)

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
Kidney Stones
« on: 06 December, 2013, 01:36:41 pm »
Over the last couple of months I've had a few episodes of lower abdominal pain, and am in line to be investigated for a likely kidney stone.  Two of the episode have started on Thursday morning, i.e. the morning after my regular evening club run.  I was wondering if anyone has had experience of this problem, and is it likely that cycling could bring on a bout of renal colic by causing the stone to move around.  Should I get into the gym until the stone gets sorted?
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Re: Kidney Stones
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2013, 02:07:00 pm »
Several of us have had them.

Can't find the main thread atm.

the pain is usually very distinctive and much higher than you'd think  - about a third of the way up my back was where I experienced it. It seems to nearly always be accompanied by blood in urine (which varies from a brown tinge to nearly black in colour). I've passed blood at the quantity where it separated out in the toilet bowl, the blood sinking to the bottom and forming a red-black pool.

Cycling didn't seem to affect it.

Dehydration is the main culprit. Drink lots of water. Drink until you slosh.  Take anti inflammatories.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Kidney Stones
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:28:14 pm »
The pain is usually caused by a stone moving in the kidney. The pain which usually occurs in the lower back can be referred pain and may be felt  anywhere from the shoulder down to and into the leg. It is unlikely that it is caused by cycling.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"