Author Topic: Garmin 810 - do I need a Windows PC to do stuff?  (Read 1374 times)

Garmin 810 - do I need a Windows PC to do stuff?
« on: 23 August, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »
Hi -  thinking about buying a Garmin 810 and currently use a laptop with a Linux operating system.

I'd like to use the Garmin to its full potential - i.e plan and upload routes / record and upload past routes / maybe check performance on my rides etc etc.

However - I've read of the difficulties of trying to link Garmin with Linux os(s).

So - would it be worth getting hold of a cheap second hand Windows 7 laptop just for the above - or are there easy workarounds to provide all the functionality that I'd need without getting yet another pc!

Advice / experiences appreciated...

Andrew

Re: Garmin 810 - do I need a Windows PC to do stuff?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2015, 05:20:39 pm »
Garmin steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of Linux and I've given up any hope of them ever doing so.

You might have some success in running Windows software under Wine but I gave up and opted for a virtual platform (in my case VirtualBox but there are others). I have that only for GTC and another Windows program I use, Cyclistats.

I can do everything I need though with Linux. I use GPSPrune to end/receive tracks (there is a GUI frontend for GPSBabel too) plus there are data loggers, PyTrainer and TurtleSport (maybe others) that use either gpsbabel or the garmintools package to take data from the Edge and do analysis etc. They are not as sophisticated as some Windows programs but they've got the basics covered.

There's another package available (named evades me at the mo) that replicates the garmin windows plugin and enables browsers to communicate with the Edge for sites like Strava. Last time I looked that was borked but it may now be fixed.

I've written a script for myself that uses garmintools to automatically pull data of my Edge and store the gmn and tcx files.

Plus, as an absolute fail safe, I have an old laptop that has XP on it, just in case!

These days, I do a lot via my tablet using the STUploader app.

So you see there are options available in the non Windows world!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2015, 06:04:38 pm »
The Edge 810 works as a USB mass storage device. So when you plug it in, it will just appear as a disk drive. Then you can copy any files on or off, no need for any special software or drivers etc.
Its easy enough to copy your recorded activities off, and do a manual upload to Garmin Connect or Strava etc.
Plus there's plenty of websites that will let you draw a route, then export it as a GPX or TCX file to copy onto the Garmin.

Or for on your own computer, Turtle Sport is not bad for viewing your rides.
For more detailed performance analysis, you could try GoldenCheetah.

For plotting routes, maybe QLandKarte (it seems it has now become QMapShack).

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:34:35 am »
+1 for fuaran's comments, you don't need special software to get data on or off the Garmin, it mounts automatically as a drive, frankly it's easier than browser plug-ins on Windows. I use pretty much the same software that fuaran recommends, I particularly like GoldenCheetah.

The only time I use a virtual machine is when I need Basecamp.

I did write a piece of software to convert FIT files to TCX, but that is just to make it easier to stitch multiple files together and to look for anomalies, that's a general problem, not OS specific. Search FIT2TCX on Github if you want it.

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:56:19 am »
My comments were to show that Garmin to Linux is easily doable now rather than showcase any particular software or recommend any particular course of action.

I have an Edge 305 and so do not have the (far simpler) option of it being recognised as a USB device. It requires a little more software. Years ago, things weren't quite as simple but fortunately members of the Linux community rose to the challenge and plugged the gap for the non-geekyly inclined.

I'll have to have a look at Golden Cheetah, it's not a product I've heard of before (I don't think... isn't there a Mac product of the same/similar name??)

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2015, 08:35:51 pm »
many thanks for all the comments - and good news that I can continue to steer clear of Microsoft...