Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 135655 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #950 on: 11 August, 2023, 09:13:11 am »

The most dangerous places in England

Be afraid..
I know London is quite cosmopolitan, but I'm not sure even it qualifies for this thread.

The perpetrator of the item linked to lives in Pennsylvania... I assume the foreign one, not the village near Bath.

Pot calling kettle.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #951 on: 11 August, 2023, 10:59:43 am »
“Thames Valley” illustrated with stock photo of some arriviste USAnian namesake river instead of the one that flows through Oxfod, Reading, Staines, London’s famous London, ect.  i diskard them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #952 on: 11 August, 2023, 11:58:02 am »
“Thames Valley” illustrated with stock photo of some arriviste USAnian namesake river instead of the one that flows through Oxfod, Reading, Staines, London’s famous London, ect.  i diskard them.

Well spotted, I was pondering the same. I suppose it flows past New London. Also, they do pronounce Thames phonetically, which is always a delight. They also now say Nor-witch rather than Norrich for Norwich, unless they're really old people, who cling to the latter. Reminds me of the time I was in Tanzania with a good old southern boy, and his pronunciation of the country name really didn't borrow from either of the established pronunciations. Locals would gather to hear it. It meandered like the Mississippi.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #953 on: 11 August, 2023, 02:28:06 pm »
A couple of dangerspots down is Hampshire, the illustration of which is captioned "Hampshire was the home of author Jane Austen before her passing." Makes it sound rather recent. Or as if she might have lived elsewhere after her "passing".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #954 on: 11 August, 2023, 02:32:04 pm »
Fair enough, Jane often took an outing from the gentile surroundings of Alton to the docks of Southampton and Portsmouth to find sailors to fight. A little documented part of her life.

I forgot to mention, that article illustrates the danger of not meaningfully weighting your statistics.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #955 on: 11 August, 2023, 02:34:08 pm »
I've been to Winchester for a night's drinking.  Rahs on the rampage.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #956 on: 11 August, 2023, 05:30:56 pm »
Kiwi supermarket forgets about Microsoft's Tay chatbot and creates an AI menu planner - what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/10/pak-n-save-savey-meal-bot-ai-app-malfunction-recipes
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #957 on: 16 August, 2023, 04:25:30 pm »
Once upon a time in interbellum Germany...

"Let's introduce raccoons to enrich the local fauna. What's the worst that could happen?"

Well...

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2023/08/beer-drinking-racoons-cause-havoc-in-germany/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #958 on: 16 August, 2023, 07:26:44 pm »
Fair enough, Jane often took an outing from the gentile surroundings of Alton to the docks of Southampton and Portsmouth to find sailors to fight. A little documented part of her life.

I forgot to mention, that article illustrates the danger of not meaningfully weighting your statistics.

Alton?  Brought up in Steventon, then after spells in Bath and Southampton, Chawton, and died in Winchester.  She once wrote of the "stinking fish" of Southampton, hence the re-enactment event of that name which took place in 2017 and possibly other years.  The Jane Austen Society in the USA contributed heavily to new bells for Chawton church, (I was heavily involved with the project) and I recall a typical American lady commenting how lovely it was to sit in the church where Jane used to sit, and listen to the same bells she would have heard. Mrs W, the cruel thing, pointed out that the church burnt down in 1890-something and was rebuilt, and actually the bells were about a week old.  The previous bells were bloody awful, and sounded like someone kicking a bucket round the yard. Nearly as bad as West Tisted (or was it East Tisted, can't remember, but I've rung the awful things)
Wombat

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #959 on: 16 August, 2023, 07:32:04 pm »
I've been to Winchester for a night's drinking.  Rahs on the rampage.

I have been utterly drunk as a skunk (definitely not a raccoon) in Winchester on more than one occasion! On one occasion the future Mrs W, who I had only been "going out with" for about a month, collected me from there, and even after certain displays of drunken idiocy, still married me, almost 29 years ago.  She said at least I was drunk, funny and sweet, rather than drunk and aggressive.
Wombat

« Reply #960 on: 24 August, 2023, 09:02:04 pm »
Young man goes cuckoo and gets a physics lesson...

A young man had to be taken to hospital after getting too close to one of Geneva's most famous landmarks - the Jet d'Eau fountain.

Swiss newspaper 20 Minutes said the man, who is thought to be in his 20s, crossed the barriers surrounding the fountain on Monday evening.

He first tried to put his face on the nozzle where the water is pumped from but was thrown backwards.

He then tried again and was sent upwards by the power of the water, before crashing down onto a nearby walkway.

The man then dived into Lake Geneva before being picked up by the authorities, who had been alerted by passers-by, and taken to hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66596126

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #961 on: 24 August, 2023, 09:40:31 pm »

Be afraid..

That beach is quite definitely a crime scene. My friend Sherry and I are quite often to be seen (if you can be bothered going out at 11pm) skinny dipping in that very vicinity.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #962 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:10:06 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/aug/28/live-worm-living-womans-brain-australia-depression-forgetfulness

That's pretty unpleasant.

My Good Friend Sherry, mentioned in the previous post, suffered a similar problem years ago after volunteering in Africa. Her brain became infested with tape worm larvae, most likely contracted as a result of the proximity of pigshit to human habitation.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/crazy-world/article/2000083266/woman-nearly-died-after-tapeworms-burrowed-into-her-brain refers

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #963 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:25:27 pm »
Rather horrible. I hope our GF Sherry and also the Australian woman have made/make a good recovery.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #964 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:47:00 pm »
Sherry thinks it has affected her mental health, although she no longer has fits. Also does occasional weird things to arms and stuff. But she has developed a year-round taste for cold-water swimming which she says "resets her brain" - the colder, the better.

I have to say I don't share her taste for the very cold water.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #965 on: 30 August, 2023, 01:15:48 pm »

Be afraid..

That beach is quite definitely a crime scene. My friend Sherry and I are quite often to be seen (if you can be bothered going out at 11pm) skinny dipping in that very vicinity.

It is not a criminal offence to be naked in public...

...it may be a crime against good taste though.  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #966 on: 30 August, 2023, 02:37:07 pm »
Just heard that people are swimming in the storm surge from Hurricane Idalia in (of course) Florida.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #967 on: 30 August, 2023, 10:37:37 pm »

Well spotted, I was pondering the same. I suppose it flows past New London. Also, they do pronounce Thames phonetically, which is always a delight. They also now say Nor-witch rather than Norrich for Norwich, unless they're really old people, who cling to the latter. Reminds me of the time I was in Tanzania with a good old southern boy, and his pronunciation of the country name really didn't borrow from either of the established pronunciations. Locals would gather to hear it. It meandered like the Mississippi.
Eye-ran. Eye-rak. Poo'un (the ' marks a glottal stop). I am bemused by many Leftpondian pronunciations.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #968 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:17:42 am »
Canadians seem even worse than their southern neighbours. New Del-high being a good example. To be expected from a nation that rhymes Regina with vagina.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #969 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:37:21 pm »
The other day I learned that a certain tribe based a fair way west of here may be spelled “Nez Perce” but they’re pronounced “Throatwobbler-Mangrove NEZZ PURSE” and not inna-French-stylee as I'd assumed for years.

« Reply #970 on: 31 August, 2023, 01:46:32 pm »

My great aunt Peta, who hailed from Himeville in SA, pronounced Tanzania as tan-ZAR-nia.  Orange shitgibbon pronounces it tan-ZAY-nia.

« Reply #971 on: 31 August, 2023, 04:25:09 pm »
'What seems to be the problem Officer?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-66668411

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #972 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:30:27 pm »
Normal for Norfolk. ^

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #973 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:46:33 am »
My grate frend Professor Admiral Viscount Timelord Jun Nogami just posted that on Farcebok which, for some reason, wouldn't let him share the original story.  Disappointed now to learn it's Nebraska and not Florida.

« Reply #974 on: 01 September, 2023, 05:59:36 pm »
The other day I learned that a certain tribe based a fair way west of here may be spelled “Nez Perce” but they’re pronounced “Throatwobbler-Mangrove NEZZ PURSE” and not inna-French-stylee as I'd assumed for years.

...So I was right sixty plus years ago, and was misled by learning French.