Author Topic: Audax Dreams for the New Season  (Read 51341 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Reply #150 on: 18 September, 2018, 05:45:14 pm »
Do some local 200km rides and then attempt an AAA 200km in Shropshire/Wales.

Undulates is taking a year off I am told, which means not much choice in Wales. Kidderminster Killer might be a good punt for Shropshire. I've done it last july... as 200 go, it's the hardest I've done.

Otherwise, Barmouth Boulevard in Wales, featuring the mighty Bwlch-Y-Groes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #151 on: 18 September, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
A Super Randonnee 600 is a must and a UAF 600 to the Ventoux and a non-LRM 1500 in Germany are near the top of the list, probably on my Moulton. The Scottish 1000 is tempting, as is a tandem SR or close to it. Doing some brevets on an upright trike is enticing but I probably won't be able to stretch that to a SR.

A Super Randonnee 600 didn't happen this year but a UAF1000 to Ventoux and HBKH18 on a Moulton did. I got round a tandem SR but swapped stokers along the way. DNS for the Essex 1000. I've collected a couple of 200s on trike but no time for anything further. 2018 was a pass mark overall.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #152 on: 18 September, 2018, 07:06:11 pm »
My main target for 2018 is the Scottish 1k. Also doing the rides I need to build up to that. At current level of fitness, I’m unlikely to complete it.

In the five months to the end of May, I managed a total of less than 800km riding, including one solitary 200 brevet, but somehow managed to get around the Scottish ride. Added a 300 in July and a 600 a couple of weeks ago to complete the SR, although my total mileage for the year to date is still only 3,400km.

Still considerably short of optimum fitness.

So, a strange year on the whole, disappointing in many respects but with some very satisfying achievements along the way.  ???

My own event went pretty well, so I'm happy with that.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #154 on: 18 September, 2018, 09:58:05 pm »
I'm entered for another BCM 600 and my name is on the list for an Italian 1400 (the Alpi4000). I may ride from the finish of that ride to Madrid for the MGM 1200.

Would the Scottish 1000 be a good warm up ride?

BCM was another cracker, and it was a good way to do my first 150+ km ride of 2018.

The ALPI4000 was the hardest ride I've ever done. It was brilliant. As was The Irish Irish Mail 400.

I didn't end up doing MGM 1200 or the Scottish 1000 ride as I was focusing on getting a good time at both London and Berlin marathons.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #155 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:22:50 am »
Complete my second rrty. PBP, maybe an Easter arrow.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

citoyen

« Reply #156 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:44:31 am »
My plan for 2019 is essentially a double SR by the end of August -
2x 200
2x 300
2x 400
1x 600
1x 1200 (PBP)

I've got my calendar mapped out, though most of them aren't open for entries yet.

« Reply #157 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:57:24 am »
This year I made an SR entirely of my own events (laziness — just cos I had to check-ride those).  Next year I appear to have an entry for the Welsh 600.  Dunno what else.

« Reply #158 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
I've promised a quiet Audax year at home this year so an SR and carrying on with the RRtY. The mail goal for this season is you get my now 10 year old daughter to complete a 100km which I very much neglected last year with all the LEL business going on.
Results:
- The RRtY lives on
- The SR Failed at he last hurdle. Work and a Virus meant the flatlands was a non starter.
- Removal of appendix also thwarted the 100km for young TK.

Overall though I have enjoyed my year of riding, recording a lot less and just enjoying a lot more. The highlight is probably going to help on the BCM at Aberhafesp and the subsequent 5 day tour back to Essex. Lots of me time and stopping where and when I wanted.

Having decided (with a little help) that PBP is not going to happen next year due to the fact it is in the middle of the school holidays I'm looking forward to another year of taking it reasonably easy. I think another RRtY and SR will be the goal for the next year, I am a long way off fitness as it stands so it will involve some hard work getting back up to speed for the BCM in May.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #159 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »
Dunno yet. Wait 'til I've relocated to Dumfries and Galloway then look at the calendar to see how many events are easily accessible and then a plan of action.

Andy's Fort William 1000km event has piqued my interest. Would also be good to get to some of my Scottish friends' events in the south of Scotland/North of England that I've wanted to ride over the years.

Hopefully, I'll complete an SR series along the way.

« Reply #160 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:43:43 pm »
Plans - My first SR with the Kingston Wheelers series and another RRTY.

Dreams - Getting faster so I can get some decent sleep on the longer rides.

The plans worked out, the dreams less so.

Might have to resort to getting a new bike - everybody knows that will make one 5kph faster!

Next season the dreams move to France in August. As a statement of intent the hotels are already booked - unfortunately now in the wrong place.  :facepalm:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #161 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:53:08 pm »
Get my life sorted and get back and ride an event (or 2, or 3).

As for 2018 - Did that  :thumbsup:

Highest point score since 2015

Snow Roads 300km
2x DIY 200s
1x DIY 300

Also completed the Hebridean Way in a day (16hrs) - 300km including the ride from Dunard bunkhouse to the start. Unfortunately I had it registered as a 400km DIY which I didn't finish so no points for that one   :(

Failed in my bid to complete an SR series mainly due to the fact that I couldn't find the mental resilience to ride into the night.  :-\

« Reply #162 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:13:54 pm »
I didn't publicise this last year because I wasn't sure I'd be able to enter them all, let alone finish them but my goal for this year was to ride all four UK based 1000km calendar events (West Highland Way, ACME Grand, Mille Pennines and Mille Cymru) which I managed. (So did 1 other) 

Next year will be a down year as I try to get some balance in my hobbies but I can't help but notice that there are six 600km calendar events on consecutive weekends next year. The symmetry of that challenge appeals but since I'm helping on the Dauntsey Dawdle and also helping on the Wander Wye so I'm not available for two of the 600's.  I'll go to PBP for the experience and do the Kingston Wheeler's SR, signed up for WCW, but not sure what else I'll get up to.  The Full Fat Festive 500 in December looks like it would be a good challenge, I've not ridden overnight in the winter.

« Reply #163 on: 19 September, 2018, 06:01:52 pm »
I didn't publicise this last year because I wasn't sure I'd be able to enter them all, let alone finish them but my goal for this year was to ride all four UK based 1000km calendar events (West Highland Way, ACME Grand, Mille Pennines and Mille Cymru) which I managed. (So did 1 other) 

That's a good achievement, given the dates. Which did you enjoy most and which did you find hardest?

Phil W

« Reply #164 on: 19 September, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
Will all the work I have been doing on mapping the perms and their controls. I think I am going to be looking at doing more of the traditional perms.  Though I will also need my BRM calendar events for PBP.

« Reply #165 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:03:22 pm »
That's a good achievement, given the dates. Which did you enjoy most and which did you find hardest?

Mille Cymru was the hardest, no question about it.  The other 3 have an easier 1st section which allow you to build up a time buffer, whereas the Mille Cymru was tough from the start and didn't ease off until Snowdonia on the third day. And then it got hard again between Betws-y-Coed and Bala which was mostly done at night and partly in the rain.

Which I enjoyed the most is a more difficult question because each event was great and I tried different stuff on each.  Trying to bivy on the west coast of Scotland was a mistake due to the midges but the loop around the Ardnamurchan peninsula stands out as the best cycling I did all year (until the disappointment that the Glenuig Inn only served soup for lunch on a Saturday, I'd been looking forward to a pub meal for two days.  Absolutely crushed).  The arrivee was great as well since a lot of people stuck around at the end.

Going into the ACME Grand, I had sleep deprivation from the heatwave which made the whole event a challenge. The terrain was also harder than I was expecting, dunno why, the event page listed 11,000m of climbing so it wasn't going to be flat.  I didn't book any accommodation and bivvyd the whole way round which is the first time I'd tried that on an event.  I was going to ECE this up to a 1300 but gave up on the 200km return leg when I finished way later than expected.  The mountaintop coffee stop and the whole garden at the arrivee breaking into applause as each rider arrived were the highlights.

I did the Mille Pennines last year so it was nice knowing what to expect this year.  I thought the route changes this year were great and made the route flow really well, it didn't seem like were were cycling through Hawes as much. I got a lot more sleep on it this year and managed to cycle up more of the 33% hills then I did the previous year. Still walked a few more than I would have preferred but having done the ACME Grand the weekend before I was happy with the improvment.

The Mille Cymru was tough.  Knowing so many people on the event was nice, it seemed like I was constantly running into people I'd met on the events this year.  The Elan valley with the Van of Delights was fantastic.  Rolling into the finish with omloopnova was the highlight as we'd spent a lot of time together on these events and knowing he was also doing all 4 of these kept me going.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #166 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:55:41 am »

Eddington  127miles, 170km

citoyen

« Reply #167 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:03:53 am »
the loop around the Ardnamurchan peninsula stands out as the best cycling I did all year

+1

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that was one of my best days ever on the bike. Everything was just right. Even the heavy rain shower in the afternoon couldn't dampen my spirits.

« Reply #168 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:00:52 am »
the loop around the Ardnamurchan peninsula stands out as the best cycling I did all year
+1

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that was one of my best days ever on the bike. Everything was just right. Even the heavy rain shower in the afternoon couldn't dampen my spirits.
+2, with the Corran ferry book-ending that loop (and no midges). Btw, the deluge I experienced near Camnasgaul (opposite Fort William) was only a 'shower' in that it only lasted 20 minutes. Completely flooded road. But I agree - didn't dampen spirit and, amazingly, Ardgour/Corran 10k south was dry as a bone.

hillbilly

« Reply #169 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:24:01 am »
I feel a yearning yet again and (subject to RL and in particular SWMB-happy) plan to do an event a month. 

In my head I'd be rattling off 200km+ events but I suspect my dull fitness, replaced as it is with a layer of fatness, will mean the winter months may be spent feeling f**ked over on (possibly lumpy) 100s whilst I struggle to get into shape for when spring blooms.

« Reply #170 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:41:19 am »
Only managed to do one event that I planned to this year.  The Oasts and Coasts 300 which was my best day out on a bike so far.  Managed to let work again interfere which considering I have got under a year until I retire, interestingly my retirement date is the same date that PBP begins, was a bit stupid of me.

Next year want to do PBP and then spend a month in France so have an eye on the Kingston Wheelers rides and try and throw in a few others.  Lets see!!

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #171 on: 20 September, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »
Highs & Lows from this (my second) season:
- Riding my first 400 (LWL, was ace)
- Snowdon, LLeyn & Lakes perm (on a perfect May day, one of my best days out on the bike)
- Getting a photo published in Arivee
- Riding through an electrcical storm at the end of The Heart of England (funscary)
- Starting to get to know & recognise some familiar faces
- Failing on my first try at 600 (The Buzzard, packed at Exeter)
- Packing on the Dean only 12k from the end due to snow/ice buildup, having ridden through some truly horrendous conditions.

Hopes & dreams for next season:
- My first time helping at a control (down to help on LWL)
- Try to nail a 600 (signed up for WCW)
- Try to complete an SR
- Try to do some training
- (Whisper it...) try to be on the start line in Paris.

« Reply #172 on: 23 September, 2018, 11:46:47 am »
The goal for winter is a Brevet 250 using calendar events alone and riding an original Bickerton Portable (unless I decide it's going to kill me).

Done! Except I did two of them on a Proper Bike because my faster-than-me-anyway friend wanted to come along. But still 110+67+58=235 on the Bickerton! And now I never have to ride that bloody thing again.

I've signed up for BCM but god knows how I'll do. I'm cautiously eyeing the ACME 1000 and I'm likely doing the This Is Not A Tour 400, so that's a lot of Welsh mountains in my future.

Packed at barely halfway; Packed at not even halfway; Finished way over time due to lack of packing opportunities. I think I'll be avoiding Welsh mountains during PBP year.

I'm hoping Turf n Surf 300 is on again next year because (apart from LEL) it's the one ride I've failed and not successfully redone.

Didn't run, but I now have many more rides I failed to cross off in future.

If I succeed at at least some of the above (plus a 200 somewhere) that's an SR!

Oh dear.

Highlight this year was the Back To The Smoke 400, not least due to actually finishing it.

My goal for 2019 is to finish rides I start.

« Reply #173 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »
Aiming for an RRtY. I keep making excuses to not go out, some of which are valid and some of which turned out to be a result of 'issues'!

« Reply #174 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:35:35 am »
Started audaxing earlier this year, so on the basis that one is more likely to stick to and/or achieve publicly declared goals:

- finish an RrtY around May (never really intended to do this, but since I've managed a ride a month since, it would be churlish not to recognise it...)

- SR

- PBP

- Start looking at event with more climbing. As an avowed flatlander I need to get out of that comfort zone - and lose a stone.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind