Author Topic: Argentinean delight  (Read 2498 times)

Argentinean delight
« on: 30 March, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »
As posted elsewhere, but it is worth it. Some of the best steak and salad. Hmmm...

[img height=480 width=640]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/ZeFrenchie/Argentina/Gabrielle_Arg_Apr07508.jpg[/img]
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Re: Argentinean delight
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:21:57 am »
This is clearly a place with Italian origins. The ice cream is absolutely delicious and several shops can oblige the connaisseur. Hum!

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:27:25 am »
Stuff the ice cream - I want a steak now!

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:48:22 pm »
This is clearly a place with Italian origins. The ice cream is absolutely delicious and several shops can oblige the connaisseur. Hum!
I saw a documentary about Argentina in the 70s, 60% of the population are of Italian origin, most of the investment for the country's infrastructure came from the UK. It was the Railway builders and others who introduced Soccer and Rugby to the country. The documentary summed up the self identity of the Argentines as ' Spanish Speaking Italians who think they're British'. I tried Googling that phrase to see if it was more general, but with no success. I did find the article on what Europeans really think of each other from a US perspective which is on the Politics Board.

Damon.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2008, 12:36:21 pm »
Yes Argentinean do feel very European. In local elections in BA, some of the candidates also clearly identified themselves as "Italians", even posing with the Italian flag or making explicit reference to Berlusconi and his party. I felt it a bit odd and possibly racist; a way to exclude the other minorities, in particular the indigenous population which is usually much poorer.

A pity that when I was in Rosario the rural movement was on strike depriving us of the best steak meat available! Still what I ate was sublime.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2008, 01:30:07 pm »
yum yum

A friend of mine who lived in Argentina for a year or so kept going on about the stakes over there. Just my luck when I was about to go over there to visit him he moved back to France.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit