Author Topic: Dry January 2024  (Read 6200 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Dry January 2024
« Reply #50 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:27:27 am »
Attended a social event last night, in a bar. I was on the Heineken Zero.

God, that stuff is awful. Tbh, I don't much like full-strength Heineken either, so I shouldn't really be surprised.

But the only other options were a fruity cider ( :sick: ) and a 0.5% draught beer, so I thought I'd stick to the genuinely zero-alcohol option. Maybe I'll opt for lemonade next time.

There's a team post-work drinks session planned for next Tuesday. But as it happens there's a train strike that day so I'll be WFH, which nicely spares me from the potential temptation.

Almost home and dry, literally.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:58:19 am »
I think I'm going to do a dry Lent, as I need to drop some more weight before walking season starts...
Walking season is January to December.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 24 January, 2024, 12:11:05 pm »
I think I'm going to do a dry Lent, as I need to drop some more weight before walking season starts...

Not for pilgrimages it isn't.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #53 on: 24 January, 2024, 04:32:55 pm »
Last day of holiday and Air France have a superb cognac. Then dry until Easter. Also starting diet so not even zero alcohol beer. Lots of varied tonic.

felstedrider

« Reply #54 on: 24 January, 2024, 04:42:06 pm »
Attended a social event last night, in a bar. I was on the Heineken Zero.

God, that stuff is awful. Tbh, I don't much like full-strength Heineken either, so I shouldn't really be surprised.

But the only other options were a fruity cider ( :sick: ) and a 0.5% draught beer, so I thought I'd stick to the genuinely zero-alcohol option. Maybe I'll opt for lemonade next time.

There's a team post-work drinks session planned for next Tuesday. But as it happens there's a train strike that day so I'll be WFH, which nicely spares me from the potential temptation.

Almost home and dry, literally.

There are actually some quite good zero beers out there, it's jsut pubs aren't very interested.

On my last trip to France I picked up some Leffe Blonde, Grimbergen and Affligem.   St Peters Without is pretty good and they do a couple.  The drydrinker website is pretty good for batch ordering.

citoyen

« Reply #55 on: 24 January, 2024, 05:13:47 pm »
It's a moot point really because I only drink no/low-alcohol beer when I'm out, so it's always going to be down to what the venue stocks.

At home, I'll drink something else instead - I stick to water most of the time. Or a nice cup of tea.

This probably makes it sound like I only drink to get drunk. This isn't really true.

« Reply #56 on: 24 January, 2024, 05:41:41 pm »
Our local is now stocking Guinness 0%, I assume on draft. I've found the cans aren't bad and it has to be better than a Heineken 0% shandy, which is what tend to go to at the beginning of a long evening in there.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 24 January, 2024, 08:17:09 pm »
Not for pilgrimages it isn't.

Whan that April with his showres soote The droughte of March hath perced to the roote, And bathed every veine in swich licour, Of which vertu engendred is the flowr;...

felstedrider

« Reply #58 on: 24 January, 2024, 08:54:55 pm »
It's a moot point really because I only drink no/low-alcohol beer when I'm out, so it's always going to be down to what the venue stocks.

At home, I'll drink something else instead - I stick to water most of the time. Or a nice cup of tea.

This probably makes it sound like I only drink to get drunk. This isn't really true.

When I stopped 15 years ago zero beers weren’t really a thing.   The introduction has made my social life a little better.  They may taste good because I’ve forgotten what beer tastes like.

ian

« Reply #59 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:57:45 pm »
After the sticky disaster that was Dry Tuesday, it's with a considerable degree of temerity that I find myself washed up on the beach of Dry Wednesday. I may give up. Thursday is the weekend anyway, and it's only a day away, and frankly I'm under so much sTrEsS at the moment that I should be on an intravenous port drip. I feel I have joined you all in spirit. I may write a book: How I Survived Tuesday But Wednesday Was Too Much.

« Reply #60 on: 29 January, 2024, 07:07:13 pm »
Having not had a drink for 3 weeks, on Saturday I made a beef stew, using half a bottle of red. I decided I’d have the other half that evening, with some cheese. It was ok, but not especially enjoyable. The remarkable thing was how poorly I slept, and how sluggish I was Sunday morning. Back on the wagon now.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #61 on: 30 January, 2024, 07:57:43 pm »
Nearly made it. After about mid point it's been easy as well I'm pretty stubborn when there is a goal. Main grumble is the tiny size of the fake beers, some are 275ml

Have been having the expected sugar cravings which I believe is due to high sugar content of alcohol

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #62 on: 31 January, 2024, 01:08:24 pm »
Obviously I failed this tough challenge, thobut, I managed a total of 19 days in Jan 'wiv no alhocol'  , a record for me, normally around 10-12 days /month without. So it's a whoopwhoop from me, and it's a whoopwhoop from him. (cheated somewhat with month long dose of the deth lurghi.   ::-) )

Having said this, I have discovered 0% Guiness, ain't 'arf bad !   70 calories a tin,

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #63 on: 04 February, 2024, 03:52:58 pm »
Tripped and fell into some strong wine.

Tomorrow is another day.

« Reply #64 on: 04 February, 2024, 08:54:34 pm »
Well it seems to have worked, made dry Jan and then made it to Friday. Had a couple of real beers and was happy with that. Saturday was round people for dinner and again a couple of glasses of wine and that did. Had a bit of a poo day today and was still fine with alcohol free beers as going forward will try to keep to non school nights

Oh and Graeme communion doesn't count as failing dry Jan

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #65 on: 05 February, 2024, 05:43:17 am »
Dry January was completed successfully.  Had a few drinks on Friday and Saturday evenings. 

We’re away next weekend, and I’ll have a few drinks whilst we’re away, but then it’s Lent when we get back.  I think I’ll do a Dry Lent.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #66 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:33:43 am »
I generally refuse to give anything up for Lent as my act of rebellion. However this year the plan is to continue the diet and abstinence right through.

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:51:48 am »
Got through January without much difficulty but have had a few days off the wagon. Went out for a sociable pint after work the other day, and since then I've been turning to booze after some fairly stressful days at work. Don't want to get back into bad habits though so back on the wagon this week. Let's see how it goes...

« Reply #68 on: 05 February, 2024, 11:18:53 am »
Our drought continues.

It does mean Mr Smith won't go out eg for dinner as he thinks he would be too tempted.

« Reply #69 on: 05 February, 2024, 12:03:51 pm »
With the exception of one wine session, which was subsequently regretted, I made it. Now intending to carry on, as I don't particularly miss the booze and could do without the additional calories.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #70 on: 05 February, 2024, 02:58:20 pm »
Still going.  Tomorrow - Beast in Black + Gloryhammer might be a test.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #71 on: 05 February, 2024, 03:10:58 pm »
What does the collective think of 0% Guinness,?     I actually prefer to normal.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #72 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:07:46 pm »
What does the collective think of 0% Guinness,?     I actually prefer to normal.

I don't prefer it to real guinness, but I agree that it is the most acceptable of all the 'zero' beers I have tried.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #73 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:19:48 pm »
I don't like normal Guinness. Not in a hurry to try the zero alcohol version.

« Reply #74 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:46:45 pm »

Bearing in mind it's devoid of alcohol [obviously], it's not going to be the same [obviously], that said, I think they've done a really decent job of it. It was a life raft for me last year. And an education too - drinking is not only about alcohol, but taste also. One can, sometimes two, was enough to take the edge off things. Anymore than a can or two felt pointless....and that's where alcohol comes in! That's the oblivion vortex. It is for me anyway.

I find it extraordinary that the Irish have accepted it in Ireland on draught too. I say that because it might be an easy assumption to make that tampering with the national pastime of the country may not go down well, but it would appear not. It's been a real success story for Guinness.

Anybody watch the Rugby yesterday? Bit difficult to ignore the sponsorship logo!
Garry Broad