Author Topic: Cross Training: Swimming  (Read 19316 times)

Flying_Monkey

Cross Training: Swimming
« on: 02 February, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
I don't know how many triatheletes or swimmers there are here. However, I am not one of you, and I am not one of you because I tend to sink rather than swim. Okay, that's not entirely fair, I can do a few lengths, but I am no kind of swimmer.

However I may be joining you, since I have just agreed to do a 36-hour charity triathalon marathon (2hrs, 2hrs running, 2hrs biking, for 36 hours or until you drop!) in June. I am getting swimming lessons - starting next week - with a lovely women who swims across Lake Ontario for a hobby (Lake Ontario is big BTW - take a look) .

Any tips on other kinds of exercises that will help me, and preferebly not hinder or even assist my running  and cycling training, I am all ears...

Re: Cross Training: Swimming
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »
I too swim like the proverbial brick, so am also hoping for words of wisdom from the YACF cognoscenti.

As a first step I've bought a Total Immersion book which arrived today, so off for a brew and a browse ...
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:14:44 pm »
Yo, cognoscenti, where are you?  :-\

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:32:43 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
Lessons start Wednesday at 12 noon. I am slightly worried!

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:28:01 pm »
brilliant! Google for the swimsmooth animation and total immersion videos on youtube. 

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
Well that was awesome! I did various strokes observed by my superb coach, who then both built up my confidence by telling me that there would be no problem with me doing this event and that my swimming was at a much hihger level than I had thought, and then proceeded to take apart everything I was doing and start to put it right. I enjoyed it immensely, not least because she was a profoundly competent person yet quite without egotism. What's more, I can swim and, it turns out, I can swim well enough to enjoy it and to take it more seriously!

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2011, 12:26:31 am »
Excellent!

I managed 500m in around 12 minutes last night. Thought I was good til I remembered that the world record for 1500m is under 15 minutes IIRC.

Still, this does make my 35minute target for 1500m seem less out of reach since I'd already done over 2h of exercise yesterday.

« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2011, 11:30:54 am »
am absolutely loving my swimming at the moment, before christmas (and flu followed by bronchitis) I was just hitting a mile in 30 minutes, I'm aiming to get back to where I was at school with 1500m under 25 mins!

for me, it's all technique...  when it's going well, it doesnt feel like work at all.  My focus at the moment is trying to start each stroke from the core (I would say 'abs' but it more 'belly') rather than my hand, and to stop stopping myself by pointing my fingers up at the front of the stroke.   It's quite like rowing, where a good crew goes faster because they dont slow down so much between strokes rather than working any harder.

ravenbait

« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2011, 07:08:32 pm »
The best piece of advice I was ever given was by my personal coach who said to keep my legs tight like I was standing on tip toe. Made a huge difference.

Sam

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:13:31 am »
Woo!  Around 10 minutes for 500m tonight.

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:18:00 am »
I'm in a similar position, just jumped back in the pool after 20+ years.
Went over to tritalk and they recommended swimsmooth too.. and to keep practising
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2011, 01:01:36 am »
Apparently my big problem is that I try to do to much. I just need to relax, do less and glide.

BTW, just to give you a picture of how awesome my coach is, she recently did 80km nonstop... butterfly!  :o

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2011, 01:05:47 am »
I've seen butterfly done gracefully. My attempt is not.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:25:07 pm »
I've seen butterfly done gracefully. My attempt is not.

My butterfly is okay, although I am nearer to 80m than 80km right now. It's actually breaststroke that I am having most problems with... I'll get it eventually, I am just having to physically stop myself moving my arms to much at the moment!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #16 on: 19 February, 2011, 09:55:20 pm »
Next week I have a bit more time as it is 'reading week' (I have no teaching), therefore I cna be more flexible and my training timetable looks like this:

Sunday: 2 hour static cycling followed by 10km run (early morning).

Monday: 1 hour swimming (endurance), followed by 1 hour static cycling (lunchtime).

Tuesday: Nothing except weights and core strengthening (evening)

Wednesday: 1 hour swimming (technique lesson) (lunchtime).

Thursday: 10km run (speed) (early morning)

Friday: 1 hour swimming (endurance), followed by 1 hour static cycling (lunchtime).

Saturday: 15km run (early morning). Weights and core strengthening (evening)

Given that what I have to do in work changes quite regularly, I will have to construct schedules week by week. I'll be able to get more cycling in once the snow and ice disappears.

cometworm

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2011, 08:14:52 am »
If there's a place near you that can film your stroke - ideally in an endless pool - this is an amazing way to improve your technique. It really makes a world of difference, and technique in swimming is a force multiplier, much more so than in the other two disciplines.

SwimforTri in London do filmed sessions in their endless pool, either one-on-one or in small groups if you want to share with a friend. Very handy.

Other advice would be to join the Tri group of your local running or cycling club, which probably has coached sessions. Serpentine RC has three or four weekly sessions, mostly focused on yardage, but with drills and some technique pointers as well. It's easier to motivate yourself to swim two miles with a group than on your own...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »
Other advice would be to join the Tri group of your local running or cycling club, which probably has coached sessions. Serpentine RC has three or four weekly sessions, mostly focused on yardage, but with drills and some technique pointers as well. It's easier to motivate yourself to swim two miles with a group than on your own...

I think my swimming coaching set-up is the best I could hope for. I get an hour a week with one of the best endurance swimmers in the world ever -  I am not joking: Vicki Keith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm not a very 'groupy' kind of person, but I will perhaps join a tri club after I have done this thing, if I decide that tri is something I want to do more of. We do have one in my town (which is a long way from London BTW  ;) )

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #19 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »
Rather than keep this thread going forever, I have started a training blog here: Tri Till I Cry | the training diary of a reluctant triathlete

It's partly for me, partly for anyone who is interested - and I really welcome helpful comments etc. - and partly for fundraising as I get nearer the time.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #20 on: 28 February, 2011, 07:15:15 pm »
Just a brief update on the swimming. I did 60 lengths (1500m) in 50 minutes today, and comfortably - I felt like I could have done it all over again (which of course I will have to come the end of June!). Which might not sound that great to experienced swimmers, but to me after just over two weeks since I started swimming properly this was very much 'woo-hoo!'

« Reply #21 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »
Brilliant, well done - an inspiration to me!
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #22 on: 01 March, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »
Brilliant, well done - an inspiration to me!

I've never been an inspiration before! Thanks...

simonp

« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2011, 05:40:28 pm »
It took me a long time after adult swimming lessons (about 10 years) before I was able to do 1500m freestyle.  Just could not maintain it for long enough.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:31:50 pm »
It took me a long time after adult swimming lessons (about 10 years) before I was able to do 1500m freestyle.  Just could not maintain it for long enough.

Well my first 1500m was a mixture of strokes. After my lesson today though (form, control... and tumble-turns - awesome!), I have been told to make my next few sessions just continuous controlled freestyle, preferably with tumble turns. We'll see how far I get...