Author Topic: I've got an E/trike  (Read 1767 times)

I've got an E/trike
« on: 10 June, 2017, 03:37:03 pm »
The fitting of an electric motor to KMX trike
First hurdle, before I bought the kit I was told make sure you have 135mm between the rear forks check, wheel would not go in panic so had to open up said forks with stud bolt and nuts.
Second hurdle remover cassette from old wheel and put on new wheel easy, well it would have been if my removal tool didn't have a pin OK off to bike shop “have you got a tool to tighten cassette without pin” “no, but we can do it for you if you leave it with us”...................Ahhhhhh...OK
Hurdle No 3 said bike shop, the tool they had the motor cable won't go through the bloody hole you need a special one, as they sell electric bike they are going to get one in for tgheir use, but it could take three day to come and a cost of £20 + (glad I ain't paying for it).
Spent the next few days putting on the rack, PAS and the throttle on so far so good.
Pick up said wheel cassette all tighten up went to put the wheel in....it wouldn't go in disc brake was in the way Ahhhhh.......google can't fit rear disc brake on KMX trike's with motor......shit Oh well you don't need one.
Then I found the PAS cable too short and for good measures so the the throttle now need thin three core cable.
Managed to jury rig the wiring and everything works OK so I thought I would go for a spin YES it works 18.4 MPH on the flat, need to re-program the LCD.
Did all the wiring today and it works great better than I thought, but I can see myself getting very lazy and just using the throttle.
The so called “special cassette tool” turns out to be an ordinary cassette tool with a 11mm hole in the end that I bought off ebay for £2.50p

Re: I've got an E/trike
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2017, 06:59:25 pm »
So how much did the conversion cost ? . it look's great  :thumbsup:. Any idea of the range ? :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2017, 07:20:48 pm »
So how much did the conversion cost ? . it look's great  :thumbsup:. Any idea of the range ? :)
Thanks
http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/
40 miles range between charges
total cost with P&P £609

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »
Thanks
http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/
40 miles range between charges
total cost with P&P £609

Well done!  Hope you are as happy with yours as my wife is with hers - same conversion, but she's got a front hub.  As I found, it all goes together, but you need to be confident with bicycle mechanics to fit the kit yourself.

She's got the 11Ah rack battery, and done about 20 miles so far, and the battery has only just used up the first division of charge indicated on the LCD.

The LCD display setup was challenging, until I found the manual...Google "KT-LCD1 Manual" and Robert will be your dad's brother.

Andy