Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016  (Read 61304 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« Reply #275 on: 12 April, 2018, 11:50:55 am »
Oh don't ask me about times. I just put my head down and pedal like billieo until the end!!!

I booked Monday return as I wanted to have a rest between finishing and then heading off for the ferry Monday lunchtime.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #276 on: 12 April, 2018, 01:35:51 pm »

Am I right in thinking the time is 75 hours

Yep.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Bairn Again

« Reply #277 on: 12 April, 2018, 04:02:46 pm »
Hmm. 

circumstances mean that Im thinking about this quite actively - I happen to be in That London TM until close of play on Weds 6th Sep and could go by train via Brussels.  Im reasonably well versed now in getting my bike down to just under 58cm for Eurostar in a shoulder bag I got especially for PBP in 2015.  Assembling is a bit of a chore, but less stressful than parting company with it.   

Ive priced it out and Eurostar Weds/Mon staying over Brussels both ways isnt hugely expensive & I could do this on just 2.5 days annual leave. 

The event looks fantastic and I have been known to appreciate the occasional beer     

Dave_C

« Reply #278 on: 15 April, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
Hmm. 

circumstances mean that Im thinking about this quite actively - I happen to be in That London TM until close of play on Weds 6th Sep and could go by train via Brussels.  Im reasonably well versed now in getting my bike down to just under 58cm for Eurostar in a shoulder bag I got especially for PBP in 2015.  Assembling is a bit of a chore, but less stressful than parting company with it.   

Ive priced it out and Eurostar Weds/Mon staying over Brussels both ways isnt hugely expensive & I could do this on just 2.5 days annual leave. 

The event looks fantastic and I have been known to appreciate the occasional beer     

What size are Eurostar's dimentions for a carry on?

58 x ? x ?

Cheers, Dva eC

« Reply #279 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:13:21 pm »
One thing to note if you're riding it; chuck a bell on your bike. You'll be riding on cycle paths and canals, so it'll come in handy. It's the one thing I wish I had when I rode it. Besides, I think it's law to have one.

(I've just taken delivery of a Knog Oi and although the company as a whole are a bag of dicks, designwise it's rad AF.)

Dave_C

« Reply #280 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:53:09 pm »
One thing to note if you're riding it; chuck a bell on your bike. You'll be riding on cycle paths and canals, so it'll come in handy. It's the one thing I wish I had when I rode it. Besides, I think it's law to have one.

(I've just taken delivery of a Knog Oi and although the company as a whole are a bag of dicks, designwise it's rad AF.)

You are still not riding Dale aye? Space on the ferry still if you change your mind!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #281 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »
Here is the route from a few years ago:
https://www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=dmxgrpbkttqlnprv&isFullScreenLeave=true
may be different this time, obvs, but it gives you an idea of the terrain.

note I was a DNF.

We booked an F1 room for the first night, probably a mistake as i spent too long in it. But I couldn't have ridden through the night.

We also booked a B&B - http://www.housingdebrouwerij.nl/appartementen/begane-grond/ - which was absolutely great. (I don't recommend trying to save money on the night of sleep after a big event.) We drove to the B&B, and drove to the start and during the event left the car at the start, which was large sporting venue with loads of parking.
When I packed i took the train via Brussels to Ghent and cycled to the car and then drove to the B&B.
There's a take-away food place near the B&B.
I've done a few audaxes in Belgium: love the place.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #282 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »

You are still not riding Dale aye? Space on the ferry still if you change your mind!
Still not riding it. But keep casting a sideways glance at it in a 'could be swayed' kind of way. I think Dean and Rob are in a similar boat. It'll be a last minute thing if I do.

Dave_C

« Reply #283 on: 19 June, 2018, 05:11:24 pm »
Rob now suggests he has a guided tour he is leading so out of the running/riding.
 It would be great is Deano enters, as I would like another familiar face.

Bairn Again

« Reply #284 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:52:36 am »
Ive got my Edinburgh - London travel fixed, including bike. 

I still have flexibility to decide whether to enter this or the Fenland Friends. 

Smeth

« Reply #285 on: 05 July, 2018, 06:45:59 pm »
Ronny has just sent a mail about event jerseys. Payment by IBAN transfer (£9 + exchange cost) or pay at the event and pay shipping. Both will be pricey. Anyone interested in a group order with just one IBAN fee for the order? I don't mind collating if there are, say, a dozen or so. I don't have time to sort 50! Also it will be at whatever rate Lloyds give me. No time to shop around.

PM me with firm expressions of interest and I will enquire if this is ok with the supplier. If it's a goer I'll get back to you.

Edit..    UK RIDERS!

« Reply #286 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:56:34 am »
Just ordered mine, Natwest charged me £10. Paypal is soooo much better.

Dave_C

« Reply #287 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:38:13 am »

Smeth suggested he would go a group order, above your post, so that we all would share the bank transfer fee.

« Reply #288 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:18:17 pm »

Smeth suggested he would go a group order, above your post, so that we all would share the bank transfer fee.

Yes, I saw that but decided to press the button anyway as the less he has the less the burden on him. As he says, he doesn't want an order of 50 and I know what it's like getting a collection of people to pay for kit at club level! My main reason for posting was to illustrate that his £9 was cheaper than Natwest, although I didn't stress that TBF.

« Reply #289 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:47:39 pm »
I would recommend signing up for Revolut - I use this for most of my foreign exchange needs these days, including international bank transfers for no fee.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Smeth

« Reply #290 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:32:43 am »

I would recommend signing up for Revolut

That does look good. I'll have a look and compare. Maybe medium term, but for now the offer stands and I've not been inundated with requests (a couple) probably because of the wording I used, so feel free to add to my order. I've checked with Rohnny and a group order is fine.

« Reply #291 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:45:09 pm »
Has anybody booked accommodation afterwards yet? 

I'm assuming I'll be full value, am looking for somewhere that is a short drive afterwards, but then has options for beer & food nearby :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #292 on: 11 July, 2018, 08:22:33 am »

I'm assuming I'll be full value, am looking for somewhere that is a short drive afterwards, but then has options for beer & food nearby :)

I was planning on just heading home. I reckon on finishing at about 13:00 to 14:00 Leaving enough time to  catch the eurostar the same day.

I figure I can sleep on the train then short ride across London for another train.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Dave_C

« Reply #293 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

Not booked pre or post accommodation yet. Just going to wing it, see what is available nearby on the day.

« Reply #294 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:06:55 pm »
Accommodation for afterwards booked - am going into Ghent to stay in one of the Ibis hotels.  Only £66 for twin room, and it'll be nice to see some of Ghent before the drive home  -though i'm tempted to get something closer to the finish if I see something

Bairn Again

« Reply #295 on: 13 July, 2018, 09:31:33 am »
After much deliberation, i have decided to ride the Flatlands instead of this. 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #296 on: 19 July, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
Trying to sort out getting to the event.

Eurostar London to brussels is £90 return + £30 each way for bike.

I see I can take the bike on euro tunnel for only £20 each way. That's some saving. Has anyone used trains to get from Calais to ghent with their bike? How easy is it, rough cost?

Or take car through tunnel for £120 return and drive up. Would be more attractive with 2 cyclists and 2 bikes

« Reply #297 on: 19 July, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »

I see I can take the bike on euro tunnel for only £20 each way. That's some saving. Has anyone used trains to get from Calais to ghent with their bike? How easy is it, rough cost?

Or take car through tunnel for £120 return and drive up. Would be more attractive with 2 cyclists and 2 bikes

French railways from Calais to Dunkirk. Cycle across the border to De Panne, train from De Panne to Ghent. Belgian costs are low, € 5,- for your bike and something like 8-10 € for yourself. Alternatively you could take the train from Calais to Lille and change there to Ghent. Biketicket will cost more as it's an international connection.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #298 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:43:59 pm »

French railways from Calais to Dunkirk. Cycle across the border to De Panne, train from De Panne to Ghent. Belgian costs are low, € 5,- for your bike and something like 8-10 € for yourself. Alternatively you could take the train from Calais to Lille and change there to Ghent. Biketicket will cost more as it's an international connection.
Thanks that's awesome

« Reply #299 on: 20 July, 2018, 09:01:08 am »

I didn't know you could use the chunnel with bikes. How long has that been the case, I wonder? I'm sure I looked into doing that some years ago and they didn't allow bikes unless they were in a car.