Author Topic: Photo Hosting  (Read 5364 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Photo Hosting
« on: 26 January, 2017, 02:47:05 pm »
Since <can't remember> I've used photobucket but having issues uploading - adverts, hanging, yonks to connect etc - I can access the pictures but can't upload. My nasty suspicious mind leads me to suspect that the only way to 'resolve' this is to 'go ad free for 14.99 a month'.

Don't think so.

Can anyone recommend a hosting service that just works? It's very frustrating wanting to post pics on the forum but not being able to...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Photo Hosting
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »
Would be nice if the process was made easier as per Faceache for instance.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »
Personally I use Dropbox - right-clicking on a file in my dropbox folder offers a "copy public link" option.

I've only used it occasionally but Imgur is also pretty easy IME.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:15:07 am »
I've been using Flickr since forever. I think they give you something ridonkulous like 1TB for free and you get to choose how the photos are organised and who can view them. There's also handy apps that auto import from your phone and computers and handy widgets for most CMSs to display photos.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2017, 10:04:22 am »
You seem to have your own domain and website - it should be possible to create a folder (say it was called "pictures") in your webspace and just store the images there.

That would mean that the image link for the Forum would be    http://yourdomain.com/pictures/bikefilename.jpg  (it has some tags to display it)

Here's how it works - this is just using the URL for a pic on your site with the Forum image tags either side of it

Simple no cost solution

Works for me with just "storing" images in a folder on the webspace for one of my domains -  I find all cloud Flickr, Dropbox etc services a complete pain in the arse - bombarded with crap I don't want.

Rob

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:11:29 pm »
Torslanda's site is hosted on one of my VPSes. Other than administrating WordPress, he doesn't have any access to upload files to a random folder.
I could make that possible, but making it user friendly might take a bit of thinking an doing. I upload files to the box using SCP and public/private key pairs, currently.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
Torslanda's site is hosted on one of my VPSes. Other than administrating WordPress, he doesn't have any access to upload files to a random folder.
I could make that possible, but making it user friendly might take a bit of thinking an doing. I upload files to the box using SCP and public/private key pairs, currently.

Ah - I see - the set-up I have is as a "reseller" for Heart Internet where I run about 5 sites of my own and about another 10 that chip in an annual cost share to cover my outlay.

Rob

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:41:04 pm »
You seem to have your own domain and website - it should be possible to create a folder (say it was called "pictures") in your webspace and just store the images there.

That's what I do too, though the simplicity of that approach seems to have been lost over the years as people have a more cloudy expectation of how the internet should work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:42:31 pm »

SCP using a username/password?

WinSCP is pretty easy to use...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:47:46 pm »
Would be nice if the process was made easier as per Faceache for instance.

I don't use Friendface, but I'm assuming you click on a button, select a local file and your photo becomes the intellectual property of Mark Zuckerberg, who kindly takes care of sharing it with all the other people who've sold their soul to his walled garden.

The problem with that approach is that YACF would have to host the photos.  That would increase the storage and bandwidth requirements by orders of magnitude, with associated costs and extra work (and potentially legal liability) for the admins, which hardly seems worth it to save a few people the effort of determining the URL for an image on the web.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:04:01 pm »
Been using Pbase since Zuckerberg was just a wuerfel.  Costs USD 23 pa but no ads. Own style sheets, password-protected galleries,  etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »
Google Photos is my weapon of choice. Linkage has been an issue since they did away with Picasa, but old links work, and there is an effective workaround by using Blogger to get a link. Anything taken on my phone is automagically backed up to Photos, if I want to share I add it to a shared album (eg yacf) and grab a jpg link by making as if to create a post in Blogger; the inconvenience of that is offset by the convenience of setting the size in the url.

As a legacy Google paid user, I have a plan for $5 a year for 20Gb, added to the free is almost 40Gb. New paid plans are $2/month for 100Gb, but you shouldn't really need that with the free allowance.

Afasoas

« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2017, 11:06:09 am »

I'd need to find an SCP client for whatever flavour of phone Tors users.
Or provide a webby upload form, which might be a better user experience.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2017, 12:39:37 pm »

I'd need to find an SCP client for whatever flavour of phone Tors users.

Phone?  Eew.

AndFTP is my default method of transferring files to/from Android (it speaks SCP amongst other protocols), but no idea about IOS.

Or provide a webby upload form, which might be a better user experience.

That would involve actual effort.

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:57:30 am »
If you've been happy up till recently with photobucket, I can't see why you wouldn't be happy with Flickr.  It's always worked fine for me, reasonably quick to upload and edit, faultless for sharing, not an unbearable amount of advertising.  I can see why volume or professional users would want more, but as somewhere to park photos for sharing it's pretty good IMO.
Here's mine as an example ;)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phbike/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:07:59 pm »
While 'tis true that Flickr helpfully give you that wossname that allows you to copy a link to a photo in a variety of formats, it's also the case that they did an "upgrade" about two years ago which stopped it from working under iOS and have shown absolutely no interest in fixing it.  Which is bigly annoying.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:56:28 am »
Which site(s) are people using nowadays for photo hosting given the introduction of charges etc by the usual suspects? 
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2019, 10:13:39 am »
I'm happily using Flickr still. Works ok  on IOS too. But then I only have a few pictures, so the free account is fine for me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2019, 01:02:01 pm »
I'm still on Pbase and happy with it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »
I now use imgur.com but notice that some places where I still have Photobucket-hosted images are now showing again, albeit with a watermark added by Photobucket. I have no idea whether only me gets to see them. Here is one:

« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:02:08 pm »
I have no idea whether only me gets to see them. Here is one:
Visible OK.

My Photobucket-hosted photos never stopped showing, as far as I know, and still don't show a watermark
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=122.msg994804#msg994804

I've switched to Dropbox now, though
Right-click & "copy dropbox link", and then change the end of the URL when you paste between the IMG tags,changing (eg) www.dropbox.com/s/a3w9sdl8btu727x/GloucesterDocks_zps41016b51.jpg?dl=0 to www.dropbox.com/s/a3w9sdl8btu727x/GloucesterDocks_zps41016b51.jpg?raw=1

« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:23:00 pm »
Thanks all trying imgur. My photobucket et al photos are still not working.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain