Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195685 times)

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #375 on: 27 June, 2016, 03:46:28 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/events/Mille-Pennines-1000km-2016

^ all my shit in one place

Hi Marcus, I have a slight difference day 3 204 km - but an important one - location of control in Thirsk.

I think this is third exit here and then Londis Garage for control. See https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14502714

Richard.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #376 on: 27 June, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »

Hi Marcus, I have a slight difference day 3 204 km - but an important one - location of control in Thirsk.

I think this is third exit here and then Londis Garage for control. See https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14502714

Richard.

Info sheet says anything around the market square is also good and I know I am aiming for more than a garage forecourt in the ideal world! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #377 on: 27 June, 2016, 04:02:10 pm »

Richard.

Info sheet says anything around the market square is also good and I know I am aiming for more than a garage forecourt in the ideal world!

aha! makes sense :-)

« Reply #378 on: 27 June, 2016, 06:42:28 pm »
I have two back lights and a front light connected to a son delux. How vital is it that I also have retroreflectors? Will reflective tape/stickers do? I don't have any mounted, so I was just wondering about the rules. On AUK's website it's stated that "The responsibility for ensuring that a machine complies with the road traffic laws rests solely with the rider", but I'm a bit uncertain regarding UK traffic laws...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #379 on: 27 June, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »
Hi,

My club mate will not be riding and there are train tickets with bike places from London Euston to Preston and back available. The train up is the 13:43 and the way back is 14:58. Since it is close to the ride I will hand the tickets over at Euston if you want them. The ticket out cost £32 and back £41.50.

Also a sleeping space available in the Travel Lodge Blackpool South Promenade FY4 1HR

Please pm me if you are interested in either or both of the above.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #380 on: 27 June, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »
I have two back lights and a front light connected to a son delux. How vital is it that I also have retroreflectors? Will reflective tape/stickers do? I don't have any mounted, so I was just wondering about the rules. On AUK's website it's stated that "The responsibility for ensuring that a machine complies with the road traffic laws rests solely with the rider", but I'm a bit uncertain regarding UK traffic laws...

That sounds fine. UK regs are a bit of a mess, and as long as you're well lit up, any police officer will take the pragmatic attitude that you can be seen and you've made an effort to be seen, rather than sticking to the letter of the law (whatever it is).

« Reply #381 on: 27 June, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »

That sounds fine. UK regs are a bit of a mess, and as long as you're well lit up, any police officer will take the pragmatic attitude that you can be seen and you've made an effort to be seen, rather than sticking to the letter of the law (whatever it is).

Great, thanks!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #382 on: 27 June, 2016, 07:52:16 pm »
Oh no - just looked at the weather. Cool, windy with some (but not too much) rain.

This means I will look the weather up just about every hour from now until the event start. Can someone please tell me how I can stop the madness?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #383 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
40 mile/hour westerly wind forecast late afternoon. Hardknott may be not bad after all  !!

« Reply #384 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »
Found that headwind along the valley between Hardknott and Wrynose makes life incredibly hard!!

« Reply #385 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:48:43 am »
Who's doing a weather bagel for this?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #386 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:09:23 am »

I had a look at the places where I noted differences in Will's GPX.

Your route through Lancaster matches the routesheet.
Through Ambleside is the same as Will's. The routesheet has L at TL SP Keswick. You continue straight on, to bear left into the one way system. They are very similar in terms of distance.
Through Keswick, you match the routesheet.

These differences are largely academic, except that if riding in a group, people may be going different ways.

I've only been through the first 500km so far. I'll look at the remainder tomorrow or Wednesday.

Changed the Ambleside one thank you.  No difference in distance at all, but good to be true to the route sheet and it is possibly lighter traffic by avoiding the metropolis of Ambleside.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #387 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:44:23 am »

Best not too look ...

« Reply #388 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:59:14 am »
Best not too look ...

What about the days with the bad weather though? ;)

« Reply #389 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:11:18 pm »
I misjudged the jersey sizing, as it appears others have done. The XL I ordered is of no use to me (even allowing for some shrinkage in the wash), so I'll bring it along to Bispham and give it away to anybody that it might fit. Brand new, never worn (except to try on).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #390 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
Just getting my stuff together and in some sort of order, I have never torn as many pages out of the road atlas for one AUK ride, including LEL!

Thanks again MJB for the GPX files, I am properly scared now :thumbsup:

« Reply #391 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
I've given up on the hub so have ordered a whole new rear wheel. This may or may not end up on a brand new bike in time for a little 1000 kilometre shakedown ride...

Just to be on the safe side I've also just had Hep A/B, Typhoid, DTP, Rabies and Tick Borne Encephalitis travel shots... because there's nothing like putting a load of diseases and chemicals into your body before doing something a bit arduous.

Weather looks stunning again. I think I should take up golf... as in watching it from the sofa...

« Reply #392 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:53:05 pm »
What about the days with the bad weather though? ;)

Hmmm ... I know the forecast will change but day one is the most bleak-looking atm ... although if the strong westerly winds hold then Sunday afternoon through to the finish will be a long slog back

« Reply #393 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »
So... I downloaded Marcus' files as tracks and I'm trying to divide day 1 into two parts as my eTrex cuts it off. Only I can't seem to make a new track after I shorten it by half. Base camp only gives me the option of creating a route. In which case it reroutes some parts. Does anyone know if it's possible to save files as tracks in Base camp?

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #394 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »
So... I downloaded Marcus' files as tracks and I'm trying to divide day 1 into two parts as my eTrex cuts it off. Only I can't seem to make a new track after I shorten it by half. Base camp only gives me the option of creating a route. In which case it reroutes some parts. Does anyone know if it's possible to save files as tracks in Base camp?
You could use GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input) to downsample the number of trackpoints, it's what I'm planning to use to get Marcus' tracks on my eTrex (thanks Marcus btw  :thumbsup:)

« Reply #395 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:39:23 pm »
Just getting round to looking at the maps, now everything has been ironed out.

Thanks Marcus
@CorbieLinnRider

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #396 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »
Not sure what's going on there but my method==> Download Marcus's route as a GPX, create a new list in basecamp and import the gpx files ==> use the divide function which I think is under tools menu (looks like a pair of scissors) and chop it wherever you like and it will leave you with two tracks ==> double click the tracks to check the number of trackpoints are under 10,000 and then the Etrex will accept it. I have split the files into the sections on the route sheet so a total of 14 and the file sizes are well within the limits. 

If you want to keep it as longer files, right click the gpx track in the list, click on advanced and then filter and you can use this to downsize the number of trackpoints.

Sure Bernster's method is good as well.

« Reply #397 on: 28 June, 2016, 05:01:03 pm »
Thanks JonB and Bernster. Heading back home in an hour, will try both methods. Might as well learn both!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #398 on: 28 June, 2016, 05:05:19 pm »
I have done 14 sections in separate files with routs and track points. All the tracks are black as I like this the best. All in one GPX file and have worked when copied as one file to eTrex 30. I have not checked on my old eTrex Vista but same method used to work 2 years ago.

I checked against Marcus's tracks and there was no difference that I noticed.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/MP1000

BB

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #399 on: 28 June, 2016, 05:28:49 pm »
I have done 14 sections in separate files with routs and track points. All the tracks are black as I like this the best. All in one GPX file and have worked when copied as one file to eTrex 30. I have not checked on my old eTrex Vista but same method used to work 2 years ago.

I checked against Marcus's tracks and there was no difference that I noticed.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/MP1000

BB

BB thanks I used your GPX of the whole route to generate a Weatherbagel forecast for all days.

Don't know if this will work, but the link is here:

http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/f2c501b5-575c-4a74-a1a5-58579feb1c93