Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195687 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #625 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:28:23 pm »
Just reading through this, it sounds like a properly tough event test to sort the men from the boys and hard wimmin from the girls.

I'm not sure about the bed thing, I never got a bed when I did Blacksheeps 600 last year, but I was so knackard the hard floor was fine, as was my drop bag as a pillow. The faster guys get the beds, and have time to sleep - that's life, right. It is what it is, life isn't fair.

I would say leave it in the calendar as it is! Tough as you like. 362 km on the second day? Savage, but then, it will become an event in the annuals of endurance history rather than (yet another) mollycoddled Audax. That's not saying mollycoddled is a bad thing, but there are loads of, erm, less-savage events for people that want them (LEL, for example). This sounds like the kind of stuff of legends. Inspiring, limit pushing and tear-causing.

Some struggle with inspiration to finish unless there is a reputation of nastiness to fight. Really tough endurance events are in demand and it sounds like this is one for the calendar.

Please keep it! Events like this will do the reputation of Audax the world of good!

I would say I wish I had been there this year, but I'd be lying haha.  ;D

Does not play well with others

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #626 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
I don't think there was anything wrong with the geography of the route. Although stage 2, at 362 km, might have seemed a bit too far for some riders, many riders arrived back at Askrigg between 10:00 pm & 01:00 am. If the event runs again, I'd likely shorten stage 2 and make up the distance on stage 4.

Andy Corless

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #627 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »
Really pleased that I've now got a jersey that fits (size XL) so if anyone fancies a DBL XL then give me a shout otherwise I might have to secure a place on the wall for it. However, the amount I've been eating following the ride may mean that it will fit in a few days  :facepalm:

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #628 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:26:22 pm »
I have a size L for sale if anyone wants it. They're priced at £36.99 + P & P brand new so I'll accept sensible offers.

Andy Corless

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #629 on: 08 July, 2016, 05:09:02 pm »
I don't think there was anything wrong with the geography of the route. Although stage 2, at 362 km, might have seemed a bit too far for some riders, many riders arrived back at Askrigg between 10:00 pm & 01:00 am. If the event runs again, I'd likely shorten stage 2 and make up the distance on stage 4.

Andy Corless

For what it's worth, my opinion is that day 2 was a long day for sure.  But not excessive, despite some tricky weather conditions.

Clearly the day started very hard, the section to Stanhope in particular is savage.  Once at Lockerbie, it was a reasonably easy run back towards base along good faster roads.

What appears to have done for some, and was certainly a lower point for me was the controlling options at Kielder, and to a lesser extent Lockerbie (bad choice of chip shop for me).  Maybe I should have read up a little more on options, but the shop was an interesting place and the lack of shelter made it not the best control at the time.  It sounds like the pub and the forestry visitors centres were both options.  I think I could have done with a sit down at that point, and certainly some hot food/drink!

Part of the appeal of the control location was that it is the most remote village in the world or something.  I was surprised to not see a blind boy playing a banjo to be honest.

I am not sure what the answer is, as clearly, a village hall control would require more people and money.  But certainly, I would investigate alternative options more closely if I were riding again.  I probably should have stopped at the cafe at Newcastleton in hindsight, though whatever was eaten there, may have reappeared on that climb into the wind!

None of it is intended as criticism as given better weather, it probably would not have been such an issue, but in poor weather, it was just at the point where the thought of going further away from base might become unpalatable.

I actually really liked the pacing of the ride.  The shorter day 1 (particularly with that tailwind!) meant you kept your powder reasonably dry for a tough day 2 and then a reasonably short (but very difficult) day 3 before a short victory lap on day 4.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #630 on: 08 July, 2016, 07:49:06 pm »
There were better feeding options on or just off the route - for example, I spotted the entrance to Gretna Services, which isn't far past Lockerbie and has a massive food court where you can get a bucket of KFC, a vat of coffee etc, but the entrance is an unremarkable gap in a hedge, so you would never know it was there unless you'd been before.

Like Aidan, I'd be happy to help with arranging for local cafes or putting together a crib sheet of facilities on or close to the route. And I did tell Andy that I'd volunteer if he runs it again next year.

(My favourite alternative would be the cafe at Kirklevington Grange Prison as an alternative control to the garage at Yarm - decent cafe, pretty cheap, and I could drop them a stamp saying "Kirklevington Grange - Just Visiting" ;D )

« Reply #631 on: 08 July, 2016, 07:51:23 pm »
Just reading through this, it sounds like a properly tough event test to sort the men from the boys and hard wimmin from the girls.

I'm not sure about the bed thing, I never got a bed when I did Blacksheeps 600 last year, but I was so knackard the hard floor was fine, as was my drop bag as a pillow. The faster guys get the beds, and have time to sleep - that's life, right. It is what it is, life isn't fair.

I would say leave it in the calendar as it is! Tough as you like. 362 km on the second day? Savage, but then, it will become an event in the annuals of endurance history rather than (yet another) mollycoddled Audax. That's not saying mollycoddled is a bad thing, but there are loads of, erm, less-savage events for people that want them (LEL, for example). This sounds like the kind of stuff of legends. Inspiring, limit pushing and tear-causing.

Some struggle with inspiration to finish unless there is a reputation of nastiness to fight. Really tough endurance events are in demand and it sounds like this is one for the calendar.

Please keep it! Events like this will do the reputation of Audax the world of good!

After that lot, I fancy a bit of TLC, and I've entered the National 400 in the hope of waitresses bringing food to me, a three-course meal at every control, dancing girls and Pete serenading me to sleep with his harmonica (well, maybe not that last bit).

« Reply #632 on: 08 July, 2016, 09:41:57 pm »
What Marcus said...

I'd left Askrigg just after 4, and although my guts were in bits, and the prospect of squatting in a field in the rain didn't appeal, what worried me was that my reading of the route sheet suggested I'd need to push on to at least Hexham to stand a chance of some food. Notwithstanding my current medicine related gastric issues, the prospect of pushing on through the rain when I was already cold and shivering, with uncertain prospect of shelter / food and dodgy guts felt risky. Hindsight tells me that I'd have ended up squatting in a field, worse for wear, and that heading back to Barnard Castle was right at the time. At the same time, i made a series of poor decisions before that that made my situation worse. I'm annoyed with myself that I unthinkingly followed my mate Tom out the door at 4ish, when really I had plenty of time in hand and could have tried to get some sleep and a decent breakfast inside me. Also, I should have gone looking for hot food in the evening, rather than scoff the last of my energy bars. Lastly, I was daft to try to make space in my seat pack by taking leg warmers as sub for tights. When they irritated the tendon behind my knee, I should have done better than think that I'd just be warm enough in shorts.

First DNF really hurts, and like others, I hope Andy runs it again to get it off my back. Nonetheless, very much a learning experience, and an event those who finished should be very proud of completing.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #633 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »
Just read many of the posts and the soul searching that appears to be going on. I decided to pack at Keilder at 4pm and ended up with three others in a hotel in Langholm. For me the issue was that the burn rate required to get to Hexham meant I was having difficulty digesting food. This is possible to manage on a normal route, but the section to Hexham was hard. I had to stop on the first 25% slope out of Askrigg so I did not see breakfast again.

Could I have finished? I was in Langholm at about 7pm so I guess 3am finish for the day was possible.

So my analysis is that the route was hard and for me too hard to feel I could endure for the whole ride.

Is the route suitable? Without doubt YES! I for one only entered this ride because it was a challenge. Sometimes you get round and this time I did not.

Would I enter again? Yes.

Would I ride it next year? The way I currently feel no.

Great weekend, Great ride. Keep turning out the great routes Andy.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #634 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »
Yes, I reckon your bike is pretty safe left unlocked outside the cafe.

« Reply #635 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:34:27 pm »

After that lot, I fancy a bit of TLC, and I've entered the National 400 in the hope of waitresses bringing food to me, a three-course meal at every control, dancing girls and Pete serenading me to sleep with his harmonica (well, maybe not that last bit).

Dean, in my harmonica are many tunes.  Not all encourage sleep......

Ben T

« Reply #636 on: 09 July, 2016, 02:40:36 am »

Andy Corless

For what it's worth, my opinion is that day 2 was a long day for sure.  But not excessive, despite some tricky weather conditions.

Clearly the day started very hard, the section to Stanhope in particular is savage.  Once at Lockerbie, it was a reasonably easy run back towards base along good faster roads.

What appears to have done for some, and was certainly a lower point for me was the controlling options at Kielder, and to a lesser extent Lockerbie (bad choice of chip shop for me).  Maybe I should have read up a little more on options, but the shop was an interesting place and the lack of shelter made it not the best control at the time.  It sounds like the pub and the forestry visitors centres were both options.  I think I could have done with a sit down at that point, and certainly some hot food/drink!

Part of the appeal of the control location was that it is the most remote village in the world or something.  I was surprised to not see a blind boy playing a banjo to be honest.

I am not sure what the answer is, as clearly, a village hall control would require more people and money.  But certainly, I would investigate alternative options more closely if I were riding again.  I probably should have stopped at the cafe at Newcastleton in hindsight, though whatever was eaten there, may have reappeared on that climb into the wind!

None of it is intended as criticism as given better weather, it probably would not have been such an issue, but in poor weather, it was just at the point where the thought of going further away from base might become unpalatable.

I actually really liked the pacing of the ride.  The shorter day 1 (particularly with that tailwind!) meant you kept your powder reasonably dry for a tough day 2 and then a reasonably short (but very difficult) day 3 before a short victory lap on day 4.
There isn't anything better than a shite chip shop in Lockerbie, you probably did quite well. In fact not in either if the "three L's of doom" - Lockerbie Langholm and Longtown... (blooming depressing trio of places if you ask me) - the best thing in the area is Gretna services

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #637 on: 09 July, 2016, 09:33:58 am »

it wasn't the difficulty that attracted me to the event, it was an opportunity to ride a load of new places in the N of England

« Reply #638 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:00:23 am »
Hello,

Great ride and I done a few of Andy's rides this year, so I knew what to expect - a very hilly ride with some amazing views.

Thank you, Andy and all his helpers for putting on a amazing ride that will stick in my mind for a long time for good reasons.  Also, I don't think I could have finished without the company of Brian and Sarah through the 'good' and 'bad' points of the ride.  Also, comic interverals of Toby and Paul as they raced by keep me smiling, putting my head down and pushing on.  It is was great to ride with Jon and Co from Bristol at several points.  Also, great to see the fixed wheel riders (Justin, James and Mike) in good spirits and finishing the ride which was a amazing achievement.

Thank you Deano and Co for readjusting my TRP front and rear Disc brakes in Hexham, I wouldn't have finished without that.  Also, for the chat at various points on the ride.  Now I given myself a master class on adjusting them and replaced the pads on the front ones which have almost disappeared after 3000 km of wet and grotty  riding.

I think that the sleep control worked well and I slept on the floor on the first night and finished.  I would agree the second day was too long and be basically we got back and had a few hour in a bed and was off again which wasn't idea, however we finished with about two hours to spare 😉

The ride did what it said on the tin, a ride up North with lots of hills, amazing views and as a bonus had some very windy and wet bits that were character building at least.  All makes you a stronger cyclist.

I must amit I had a very strange night of cycling on the three day with hallucination and psychosis  from not sleeping enough.  Also, was very cold ever when it wasn't cold.  This was all sorted out by a lye done at the sleep control and four Wheatbix. 😊. The only, remaining issue has is a little bit on  Carphel tunnel pins and needles in my little and ring finger in my right hand.  I assum this is from all the front wheel braking on the hill descents.

Congratulations for everybody who took part on the ride and it was great meeting you all.

Until the next challenge of 2017.  Perhaps, another hilly 1000 km ride but not this one.  Perhaps, somebody in Wessex will be thinking of putting on 'cracking' calendar ride.😳

Joolz

JonB

« Reply #639 on: 10 July, 2016, 02:25:23 pm »
Just been looking at the route and cross referencing it with the 2 x 100 cycling climbs book.  By my reckoning we did these,

Whinlatter Pass 
Burn Edge
Hardknott Pass
The Stang
Crawleyside
Egton High Moor
Rosedale Chimney

I’ve not included Wrynose as the book has it ascended from the East and we came from the West where it is much shorter. Have I missed any?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #640 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »

Could I have finished? I was in Langholm at about 7pm so I guess 3am finish for the day was possible.

So my analysis is that the route was hard and for me too hard to feel I could endure for the whole ride.

Is the route suitable? Without doubt YES! I for one only entered this ride because it was a challenge. Sometimes you get round and this time I did not.

Would I ride it next year? The way I currently feel no.

Great weekend, Great ride. Keep turning out the great routes Andy.

Could I have finished?  I was feeling a bit shit when my brakes packed up but had 2 hours in hand, not particularly tired.  So "maybe"

Is the route suitable? Yep the route was great, good use of A roads at quiet times of day+ amazing views and excellent moorland roads

Would I ride it next year? Maybe if I can get the time out of my busy social calendar

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #641 on: 10 July, 2016, 06:10:20 pm »

it wasn't the difficulty that attracted me to the event, it was an opportunity to ride a load of new places in the N of England
Same here.

Although I knew damn well it was giong to be hard when I entered - probably too hard for me tofinish in time. At that point I hadnt looked too hard at the schedule: with hindsight - and bsed on riders' analysis - Day2 would have finished me. I'd probably have ducked into a hotel at 10pm, then reassesed things from there, probably riding a shortened versionof the remainder.

We shall never know, as circs prevented me riding! I do hope someone runs an easier event in the same partof the world. failing that, I hope to ride some 2/300s up there, or just have a tour.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #642 on: 10 July, 2016, 06:57:16 pm »
Just been looking at the route and cross referencing it with the 2 x 100 cycling climbs book.  By my reckoning we did these,

Whinlatter Pass 
Burn Edge
Hardknott Pass
The Stang
Crawleyside
Egton High Moor
Rosedale Chimney

I’ve not included Wrynose as the book has it ascended from the East and we came from the West where it is much shorter. Have I missed any?

I thought Bollihope was in there, but apparently not.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1l2huTEbTmwJHSf_5u4wCmGk0UdI&hl=en_US

« Reply #643 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:34:43 pm »

Whinlatter Pass 
Burn Edge
Hardknott Pass
The Stang
Crawleyside
Egton High Moor
Rosedale Chimney

You should've said that was your game - Saturday morning, there was actually a dogleg out to Reeth which missed this beastie.

I'm pretty sure it is in the list, but I don't think anyone took that particular shortcut ;D

JonB

« Reply #644 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:30:35 pm »

You should've said that was your game - Saturday morning, there was actually a dogleg out to Reeth which missed this beastie.

I'm pretty sure it is in the list, but I don't think anyone took that particular shortcut ;D
On balance I'd say we had enough climbing :hand:

« Reply #645 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »
I'd probably have ducked into a hotel at 10pm,

That was the strategy adopted by the tandem couple. Breaking the journey at the Penrith Travelodge. It meant they got the benefit of the scenery between Penrith and Askrigg.

« Reply #646 on: 10 July, 2016, 10:27:31 pm »

Whinlatter Pass 
Burn Edge
Hardknott Pass
The Stang
Crawleyside
Egton High Moor
Rosedale Chimney

I think we descended The Stang, which to me means I haven't yet ticked it off as a climb (never gone west over Wrynose either).

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #647 on: 14 July, 2016, 04:37:57 am »
I have of course spoken with some of the riders that were DNF and all seemed to want to give the event another go. With this in mind, I'm considering a re-run of the event next year, but only for those that were DNS/DNF.

That's great thanks Andy, this is business I want to finish! Now I know the route, I know where I went wrong and how to improve enough to get the result. It really boils down to a simple case of HTFU. I'd try again tomorrow if I could - at least the weather's improved! Bring it on  :thumbsup:

Another thanks from me if you get to 're-run this. I just don't have the miles in my legs this year.

Hopefully 2017 will be better.

H

« Reply #648 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:04:54 am »
I just noticed over on FB that there will be a re-run 7-10 July next year  :)

simonp

« Reply #649 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:19:24 am »
Warm up for LEL.