Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195659 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #800 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:48:22 am »
Hi All, has anybody received the route sheet yet? just checking in case i haven't received it for some reason.

« Reply #801 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:56:32 am »
Thanks for all the tips regarding train booking! I'll give it another try now.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #802 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:03:08 am »
Hi All, has anybody received the route sheet yet? just checking in case i haven't received it for some reason.

I've not had a route-sheet either.

Arthur
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #803 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:06:31 am »
Final version should be e-mailed before Tuesday evening.

Andy Corless

« Reply #804 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:24:51 am »
Thanks for the swift reply Andy

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #805 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:34:19 am »
Cheers Andy.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #806 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:00:13 pm »
Might be worth reading this before you try on the VTEC site:

http://road.cc/content/news/225264-virgin-trains-east-coast-%E2%80%98working-%E2%80%99-online-cycle-reservations
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #807 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:18:11 pm »
Might be worth reading this before you try on the VTEC site:

http://road.cc/content/news/225264-virgin-trains-east-coast-%E2%80%98working-%E2%80%99-online-cycle-reservations

I have used this in recent weeks and it has been fine.

https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #808 on: 03 July, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »

Andy Corless

Andy, will you be issuing a gpx track? Or a link to an online version of the route where a track can be downloaded from? I don't use paper sheets as I cant read them at night and haven't got a hope in hell of creating a gpx from a route sheet in the time before the event.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #809 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:24:46 pm »

Andy Corless

Andy, will you be issuing a gpx track? Or a link to an online version of the route where a track can be downloaded from? I don't use paper sheets as I cant read them at night and haven't got a hope in hell of creating a gpx from a route sheet in the time before the event.
I am sure there will be some crowd sourcing on this. I have the complete tracks from last year. Looks like much will be reused.

Here is the track I did last year. I hope to be able to do a similar job given that there should be limited changes.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/MP1000

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #810 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
Almost there now. All being well the final version of the route-sheet, as well as the event information should be e-mailed by tomorrow evening at the latest! I probably won't have time to compile a GPX track but somebody might.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #811 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:24:13 pm »

Andy Corless

I am sure there will be some crowd sourcing on this. I have the complete tracks from last year. Looks like much will be reused.

Here is the track I did last year. I hope to be able to do a similar job given that there should be limited changes.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/MP1000

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. Handy that it is broken down into stages. I assume this year will feature the same controls, or at least the same towns/villages except Askrigg/Sedbergh of course. By the way, the route looks a bit lumpy for a few km after Askrigg :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #812 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:06:37 pm »
Right, a couple of people have asked me about the route, and about good eatin' along the way, so I've tweaked the RWGPS route posted above with some personal preferences of routes:

Day 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22823845
Day 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22824534
Day 3: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22825091
Day 4: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22825433

Now updated with the control at Langholm and split at Sedbergh into 4 days (05/07/17)

If anyone wants to keep track, the changes to the h'official route are as follows (also listed on each track:
(click to show/hide)

And onto the food.

TOP TIP - eat in Keswick rather than at Whinlatter (the cafe was absolutely rammed last year - you can just get a stamp for PoP at the Whinlatter visitor's centre).

There's a tiny village shop/cafe in Lorton as well, which is good for a coffee and a cake or some snacks.

Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater - good for bottle top-ups, but only worth stopping to eat if you have the time for a proper sit-down meal.

Gosforth village before Seascale has a very well-stocked village shop, including a coffee machine. Would recommend calling in here and just getting a receipt at Seascale (http://www.thevillagestoregosforth.co.uk/ - I'm not sure the cafe is actually open, but it's a couple of years since I was last there) .

Seascale - large-ish Co Op before you drop to the sea and a takeaway opposite, or a crappy McColl's on the front. Just snacks and supermarket food. Also public toilets on the front.

Eskdale - there are a couple of pubs before you go over Hardknott, including the Eskdale Inn, which does coffee and snacks as well as full-on meals, but I'd probably just eat earlier. But there's nowt else on route until Skelwith Bridge.

Once you're into Ambleside, there are plenty of choices around Windermere, Kendal and so on.   

Day Two

Hawes - not likely to be much open early in the morning apart from newsagents - or an ATM if you're dead early.

Barnard Castle - the butcher's opposite to Costa opens early, and does a decent bacon sandwich. Costa might be open by the time you get there.

Stanhope - there's a Co Op and a cafe next to it, but the cafe at the Dales Tourist Centre is much better (opens at 9).

Above Stanhope there's Parkhead Station Cafe: http://www.parkheadstation.co.uk/tea-rooms.php

(I'm not sure of the opening times, but you could give them a call and just get a receipt in Stanhope before riding up Crawleyside to the cafe - it says 3 miles from Stanhope, and there's a board at the cafe for writing your time up Crawleyside. Don't expect this to be a quick 3 miles)

Blanchland - there's a shop and a decent cafe, but I wouldn't bother stopping unless you're on your knees. Hexham isn't that far, and this is probably the toughest section where you can lose the most time. N.B. the Waitrose at Hexham does NOT have a cafe, if anyone from down south is hankering after a taste of home.

Wark has a handy village shop.

Bellingham is just off route and there's a Co Op, a few cafes, a bakery and a bike shop.

Falstone - cafe in the old school. Just off route, and can be a good stop before slogging into the headwind over Kielder.

Kielder Reservoir - There's a nice cafe at the Tower Knowe Visitor Centre about 10-15 km before the village stores, they didn't seem to mind that we were oozing water all over the floor https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tower+Knowe+Visitor+Centre/@55.174844,-2.4751189,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x83c142965f854792!8m2!3d55.174844!4d-2.4751189.  (thanks Jon for reminding me! I think there are public loos here as well)

Kielder control - as well as the village shop (which doesn't stock much), there's a little shop at the garage on the main road (I think they do coffee), and the pub, which is farther off the route.

Top tip - I'd just get a receipt at Kielder for PoP and ride the 20-25 km to Newcastleton and go to...

Copshaw Kitchen - excellent home cooked food. Open till five I think, and worth stopping. Steve and I stopped there last year after just getting a bar of chocolate for PoP at Kielder. If running late, call to check opening times (013873 75250) - they're pretty friendly and would probably stay open a little bit if they knew you were coming, as they offered to do just this last year when I mentioned the ride to them.

EDIT: someone has called them and they're open until 8 on Saturday night.

Newcastleton also has a couple of shops and hotels, so it's well-provisioned.

There's not a lot in Langholm Longtown or Lockerbie (another reason to stop at Newcastleton) - a quick garage stop, or pizza shop is about as good as it gets.

Gretna Services - I noticed we passed this on the road from Lockerbie to Carlisle. You'll miss it if you don't know it's there, but on the B7076 between Kirkpatrick Fleming and Gretna, there is a secret entrance to the right in the hedge which takes you to the M'Way Services:

https://goo.gl/maps/995u2cZkPqR2

It's a proper motorway services with proper Motorway prices. But if you want a bucket of KFC, it's your lad.

Above removed as the route doesn't pass Gretna Services. I don't think there's much on the A7 from Langholm to Langtoon and Carlisle, but if anyone knows different, shout up.

Farther on, there's a McDonald's on the A7 in Carlisle, and obviously loads of options in Carlisle itself.

Don't try the McDonald's in Penrith if it's late as it's drive-thru only and they won't let you order on a bike. Last year, they wouldn't even let someone in a car order for us "cos I can still see them". FFS.

Tebay J38 services - the route passes the M'way services (on the right just before the A685 roundabout), and this is a pretty good option if you need something get you the last 10 miles or so to Sedbergh. The shop on the forecourt is 24-hour, and comes with a coffee machine.

Day 3

The control at Yarm is probably going to be the garage - if you take the right after the roundabout, though, there's a decent cafe at Kirklevington Prison. No, really. Ask at the counter for their "Just Visiting" stamp*.

Castleton - there's a Co Op and a cafe at the old school. The route also passes the National Park Centre at Danby, but I'd expect that to be rammed on Sunday afternoon. Either of those should get you to the control at RHB (which is a decent chippy).

After Robin Hood's Bay, there's not much on the route - a couple of pubs in Egton Bridge, or you can nip into Grosmont. After Egton Bridge there's nowt until Rosedale. You can top your bottles at one of the pubs or the campsite in Rosedale, and there are cafes and shop if you're early enough.

I wouldn't bother stopping in Hutton-le-Hole, but Kirkbymoorside is a good place to stop, with a couple of shops and takeaways to break up the long section to Ripon.

After Helmsley (loads of options), there's unlikely to be anything open except pubs, though there are plenty of those.

Ripon - if it's late, the 24-hour garage on North Street is likely to be the only thing open. There's nothing else 24-hour on the route, and it's a long way yet to Sedbergh. If it is early enough, there's a Costa and loads of stuff but you'll have to ride into town.

Masham - there's a Co Op open late on Sunday evening, and obviously plenty of pubs. I'd recommend the White Bear at the Black Sheep Brewery, which is signposted from the route.

I can't think of anything opening late up Wensleydale or Garsdale. Stock up at Ripon!

Day 4

You're on your own as it's the wrong side of the hills for me, but there are loads of places to get grub, and you can nip into Kirkby Lonsdale if you're desperate. I would point out that one rider (Paul Cre) rode straight through on Sunday night last year, and at the time I thought "What a fucking idiot", but after dealing with the crazy trucks on the A683 round Caton, then Monday morning rush hour in Lancaster, I kinda thought he might have done the right thing.

I'll be helping at Sedbergh at some point, anyway, so I'll hopefully get to point and laugh see you lot. As ESL points out, there's a massive Spar at the western end of Sedbergh which you'll pass on day 1 at your left - great for grabbing any pocket food. EDIT: it opens 7 till 9, so it mightn't be open for many of you when you pass.

*They may not have a stamp

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #813 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:28:57 am »
Right, a couple of people have asked me about the route, and about good eatin' along the way, so I've tweaked the RWGPS route posted above with some personal preferences of routes:

Eskdale - there are a couple of pubs before you go over Hardknott, including the Eskdale Inn, which does coffee and snacks as well as full-on meals, but I'd probably just eat earlier. But there's nowt else on route until Skelwith Bridge.

There's also a cafe at the terminus of La'al Ratty here: https://goo.gl/maps/XpmCyZJBsgR2 However, I've no idea if you will be here during opening hours

https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/plan-visit/things-to-do/cafes/fellbites/
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #814 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:14:22 am »
Deno,

Great work. On day 2 I thought we were turning at Langholm and not Locherbie?

Thanks

BB

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #815 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:58:24 am »
One of this year's entrants has asked me to post this:-

I have been asked to post this from the originator of the RwGPS link of the ‘possible' route. This route is not produced by the MP 'team' but is based on last year's and details Andy had previously shared months ago (new control locations at Barnard Castle, Lanehead, Langholm, Ripon) and very, very recently the revelation of Sedbergh as the 'central control' as opposed to Askrigg. He has used Andy's new distances and get the same first and last day's and total as the MP site /Route tab advertises, but the 359km for Day 2 (2 more than last year btw) is not the same, and Day 3 is longer (than the MP site detail) if via Ripon. It may be that Andy's gone back to using Thirsk as the control W of NYMoors in which case another tranche of km on Day 2 is needed. Perhaps the route will go back to going us right over to Lockerbie again and then straight down the A6 via Shap to Sedbergh but the MP site still says 'via the Eden valley' in the amended text so that’s taken (on the ‘possible’ route) as via Kirkby Stephen.

(he's having difficulty joining YACF, if anyone can assist).
This earlier passed on by Ian casts a little doubt on controls/route for day 2 and hence other days. Andy has obviously been working hard to bounce back from losing Hawes. I'm going to wait until he gets the sheet out before finalising anything. The originator can't do any more with it as he's travelling tomorrow am. Thanks all concerned for efforts so far.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #816 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:29:30 am »
Deno,

Great work. On day 2 I thought we were turning at Langholm and not Locherbie?

Thanks

BB

I'm not sure myself! But Lockerbie is still listed as the control on the calendar page.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #817 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:43:18 am »
Day 4

You're on your own as it's the wrong side of the hills for me, but there are loads of places to get grub, and you can nip into Kirkby Lonsdale if you're desperate. I would point out that one rider (Paul Cre) rode straight through on Sunday night last year, and at the time I thought "What a fucking idiot", but after dealing with the crazy trucks on the A683 round Caton, then Monday morning rush hour in Lancaster, I kinda thought he might have done the right thing.

I'll be helping at Sedbergh at some point, anyway, so I'll hopefully get to point and laugh see you lot.
On that subject ...

What facilities will there be at Start/Arrivee? (if any!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #818 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:43:45 am »
Worryingly the above route distance is advertised as 1043KM. I know RideWithGPS can be a little off but not by that much. I'm not keen to add an extra 40km to my ride as that would definitely put in over the cut off. This ride is already right of the edge of what is feasible on the ElliptiGO so I need to follow the route to the T. Sounds like I will be producing my only GPX route.

Brilliant detail on the food stops Deano!! Legend.
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #819 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:51:38 am »
Just to clarify my comment above was referring to the RideWithGPS Track that was linked in comment above. It's all good though. I'm really looking forward to this one. Just hoping the winds that took out half the field on Pendle600 have done the descent thing and headed North. Be gone with you.....

Great job Andy. Massive respect for anyone taking the responsibility of organising this rag tag bunch of cyclists and ElliptiGOers. Sterling effort.
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #820 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:01:41 am »
Kielder - as well as the village shop (which doesn't stock much), there's a little shop at the garage on the main road (I think they do coffee), and the pub, which is farther off the route.

There's a nice cafe at the Tower Knowe Visitor Centre about 10-15 km before the village stores, they didn't seem to mind that we were oozing water all over the floor https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tower+Knowe+Visitor+Centre/@55.174844,-2.4751189,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x83c142965f854792!8m2!3d55.174844!4d-2.4751189

Wish we'd had your guide last year Deano, I was proper fed up with garage food by the Sunday.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #821 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:46:16 am »
One of this year's entrants has asked me to post this:-

I have been asked to post this from the originator of the RwGPS link of the ‘possible' route. This route is not produced by the MP 'team' but is based on last year's and details Andy had previously shared months ago (new control locations at Barnard Castle, Lanehead, Langholm, Ripon) and very, very recently the revelation of Sedbergh as the 'central control' as opposed to Askrigg. He has used Andy's new distances and get the same first and last day's and total as the MP site /Route tab advertises, but the 359km for Day 2 (2 more than last year btw) is not the same, and Day 3 is longer (than the MP site detail) if via Ripon. It may be that Andy's gone back to using Thirsk as the control W of NYMoors in which case another tranche of km on Day 2 is needed. Perhaps the route will go back to going us right over to Lockerbie again and then straight down the A6 via Shap to Sedbergh but the MP site still says 'via the Eden valley' in the amended text so that’s taken (on the ‘possible’ route) as via Kirkby Stephen.

(he's having difficulty joining YACF, if anyone can assist).
This earlier passed on by Ian casts a little doubt on controls/route for day 2 and hence other days. Andy has obviously been working hard to bounce back from losing Hawes. I'm going to wait until he gets the sheet out before finalising anything. The originator can't do any more with it as he's travelling tomorrow am. Thanks all concerned for efforts so far.

Andy has the master route sheet and we are all working towards the same goal - a great ride and 10 points  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is bound to be some errors, I will be leaving home on Thursday morning when I will have my last chance to load details on my Garmin.

BB

« Reply #822 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:53:31 am »
Day 4

I'll be helping at Sedbergh at some point, anyway, so I'll hopefully get to point and laugh see you lot.
On that subject ...

What facilities will there be at Start/Arrivee? (if any!)

I'd also like to know the answer to this! It will probably decide whether I ride straight through into the final leg to the arrivée or take advantage of the facilities at Sedbergh.

P.S. Matt, you'll be happy to know that we now have a working handbrake for the journey up to Bipsham :)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #823 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »

last year there was a meeting at the Spoons by the tower.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool

Anybody up for a meet up there on Thursday night? They do food till late and it is easy to find.

BB

Graham D and I from Wessex are hoping to join. Bearing in mind the sleep deprivation that awaits us, any others have a time in mind?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #824 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »
P.S. Matt, you'll be happy to know that we now have a working handbrake for the journey up to Bipsham :)
To be honest, there are so many unknowns for me to fret about, I'd delegated that worry to you!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------