Author Topic: Radio4 - issues about cycling  (Read 3038 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Radio4 - issues about cycling
« on: 03 October, 2008, 12:36:31 pm »
You & yours is about cycling accidents. BBC Radio 4. Now.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

Re: Radio4 - issues about cycling
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2008, 12:51:19 pm »
Arrrggghhhh

The piece on You & Yours was talking about the expansion of cycling lanes in Brighton, issues with lorries having the new mirrors & then the Road Safety Minster started talking about the need for more cycle lanes & also how cyclists should also help themselves by wearing high viz & helmets.  Excellent, that's what we need to help cycling in this country....

PS: This should probably be in "On the Road" but I cannot report my own post to the moderators to get it moved.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2008, 12:54:52 pm »
[...] & also how cyclists should also help themselves by wearing high viz & helmets. 

France is heading that way (in poor visibility, outside towns so far) and I wasn't impressed. The idea of having to wear fluo-yellow does not appeal (though note that I believe in being visible with light, reflectors, 3m white reflector bands etc.) and the idea of adding to the general hi-viz background in town neither. Cycling lanes? Don't get me started!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2008, 01:07:02 pm »
I had the radio on but was outside the office.  never mind.  I wouldn't expect a decent level of insight from Y&Y tho
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4 on: 03 October, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »
Hmmm..I thought that most programmes on Radio 4 are pretty good (well in my experience anyway)..no?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2008, 02:22:02 pm »
You & Yours is the Daily Mail in the Indy nest ;)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2008, 04:16:54 pm »
Really? I had no idea.  Will have to d/l it when I get back tonight. Mind you the title does sound rather in the vein of 'That's Life'..

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »
I e-mailed them and sent them the links to that you tube video I posted earlier, plus a lot of commentary linked from elsewhere pointing out that badly designed facilities are worse than no facilities. The editor contacted me later to say that if they did a follow up they'd be back in touch.

Were there really more than 20 deaths around Brighton last year? That's three times the rate for London!

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »
The piece on You & Yours...
FYI, it's 31m 40s into the broadcast and lasts about ten minutes (click on 'listen again').  Towards the end, Jim Fitzpatrick the Road Safety Minister does comment about the inaccuracy of the cycling statistics, citing missed cyclists in road counting.  I can vouch for that: years ago I passed a traffic census on my commute (I commuted into Brighton in those days).  They were counting every motor vehicle.  But not cyclists.  When I observed this, I 'blew my top' and demanded to know the reason why cyclists weren't included in the census.  I was shown into the census foreman's tent and given some bland reassurances about "the purpose of this census is to make this road safer for cyclists..."  Well, twenty years on, that road hasn't changed at all.  I don't suppose that anyone in the authorities has the slightest clue how many cyclists use that road.  It's not a particularly dangerous cycling route for experienced cyclists, but traffic is fast enough to scare and intimidate a novice.  As is true of most rural single carriageways of that width around here (it's an unclassified road but as wide as most 'B' roads).

Were there really more than 20 deaths around Brighton last year? That's three times the rate for London!
That was the figure for KSIs - Killed and Serious Injuries.  Not deaths alone.

Oh and they threw in the bit about obligatory h*lm*ts of course - towards the end of the broadcast...

I know Brighton probably better than any other major city in Britain, and can say that over the years I've not been the least bit impressed with what's provided there in the way of 'facilities'.  From my point of view - apart from some bus lanes at really congested periods - best avoided and ride on the road, as indeed do most experienced cyclists there (albeit a lot of them do RLJ...).  But for the really nervous newbies I don't know what to suggest.  Brighton may be a 'cycling-demonstration' city but it has a long way to go...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:24:26 pm »
In the current episode You & Yours is talking about taking bikes on trains.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:44:02 pm »

I think that's a bit harsh.  You& Yours is heads above the Daily Mail and teh rest of the gutter press.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:53:44 pm »
But it's in the same conservative, clucking-hen indignation set, for sure.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »
But it's in the same conservative, clucking-hen indignation set, for sure.

Not really...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2008, 01:16:37 pm »
"You and Yours" tends to say

"Mrs Ashborne- you put your money in an Icesave account- tell us about it"

The Daily Mail tends to say

"Mrs Ashbourne- do you blame the EU for the problems you've had with Icesave?"

I might say

"Mrs Ashborne- explain why the rest of us should pay for your Icesave problems"

αdαmsκι

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2008, 02:27:58 pm »
Ignoring everyones personal opionion is of the particular programme, it's good to see hear about cycling getting some press that isn't the normal response complaining about cyclists on pavements / jumping red lights blah blah blah.  The You & Yours piece was presenting the issues of carrying bikes on the trains and explaining the benefits of being able to travel from, say, Cambridge to London with your folding bike.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2008, 04:45:40 pm »

I think that's a bit harsh.  You& Yours is heads above the Daily Mail and teh rest of the gutter press.
I find it's like Antiques Roadshow without the SchadenFreude factor.

Middle-class well-to-dos asking how to maximise their enormous stash, and not giving a stuff about any repercussions of the issues.
"Now this bank burns kittens to keep their gas bills down, but they do have a very attractive capped-rate at the moment ... "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles