Author Topic: Never done an Audax - is my Garmin Edge510 up to the job?...  (Read 3540 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Never done an Audax - is my Garmin Edge510 up to the job?...
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2024, 10:56:25 pm »
my 1st one died of battery failure, possibly due to mud ingress during mtb racing.
my 2nd one just died of corruption a year after I got it as replacement for the 1st.

i went to wahoo after that.

i always just dropped my route files on using windows Explorer and the USB connection, the biggest fear I always had with it was losing the recording, for some reason garmin thought it would be a good idea to keep recording in memory until you finished.
one trick for battery life on older garmin I found was the general data display screen was much "cheaper" to run than routing.
this applied to my 510s as well a my fenix2 which are battery at about half the rate showing the clock as it did for any data screen.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2024, 11:28:48 pm »
You could I suppose try to produce your own, but I've never bothered.

Point taken about normally using the organiser’s file so getting what you are given in the way of cues, waypoints etc.  I tend to trace the organiser’s route for myself when I need to ECE the ride, or I am adding a route to/from the start and can’t be bothered to play about with separate tracks or because the event will involve some element of night riding and the supplied gpx doesn’t include turn by turn navigation or the organisers route marks controls with waypoints (these just don’t alert properly on my wahoo so I have been known to have to backtrack some distance to a missed control). I probably end up tracing 50% of the events I enter.  If my eyesight was better or I could get the hang of varifocals then I would use a laminated route sheet as my primary navigation but reading a route sheet now is a constant game of glasses out, glasses on, read next instruction, glasses off, glasses away, rinse and repeat.

« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2024, 06:45:27 am »
If they are course points then it should.

Indeed. I’m not sure they were course points though. Possible I was exporting the wrong format or something. It’s a while ago, I can’t remember the details.

The problem is if there are hundreds of the buggers, in which case the 510 may choke. 

That was very much a problem with the 510.

I found that as long as you understood its capabilities and limitations, it was an excellent device. Unfortunately, the dog got hold of mine and destroyed it, otherwise I might still be using it now.

I did use my Edge 500 in breadcrumb mode for LEL 2013 and it was fine. But no TBT, it wouldn’t cope with that , and the number of points per course had to be filtered to sensible levels.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #28 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:23:19 am »
I'm doing my first Audax next month "Rutland and Beyond" which is 100 km.
I bought a second-hand Garmin Edge510 for a tenner, seems to work but not had much time to explore it yet.

Poor Maz's head is spinning!
My advice: plot a 10km route on something like ridewithgps and export it to the 510. Try it out and see how it works. Then you'll feel much better prepared on the day.

If you can't make it work for you don't beat yourself up about it (Garmin's seem fiendishly complicated on first encounters and most of us don't explore more than 10% of its capabilities). Just follow the routesheet on your very first Audax and enjoy the ride.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #29 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:24:26 am »
My normal set-up is a Garmin and a map trap, with the route sheet, side by side on the bars. But I agree, use of route sheets is falling.

I use the route sheet mainly for context, looking ahead to see what's coming in the next hour or so (a control, hopefully!)
I used to create my own GPX files between controls from the route sheet so I could have a distance countdown to the next control, but now I just ride and follow the line. I highly approve of e-brevet as it means I can eat when I am hungry and not be tied to buying stuff at the corners of the course.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:36:30 am »
Quote from: alfapete link=topic=127797.msg2871555#msg2871555 date=1706088199u
My advice: plot a 10km route on something like ridewithgps and export it to the 510. Try it out and see how it works. Then you'll feel much better prepared on the day.

If you can't make it work for you don't beat yourself up about it (Garmin's seem fiendishly complicated on first encounters and most of us don't explore more than 10% of it's capabilities). Just follow the routesheet on your very first Audax and enjoy the ride.

And/or hook up with someone riding at a comfortable pace who looks as if they know what they're doing and where they're going. A number of Italian riders got round LEL in 2009 using exactly that strategy (hence my forum name).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Maz

« Reply #31 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:36:51 am »
Me again - you've lost a 'z'  ;)

The organiser will send out a copy of the route sheet with other info (carparking etc) in the week before the event.  There is a preliminary version available on the event page here: https://www.aukweb.net/routes/40r.zip  It is worth having a look up front as it appears to be written in code but fortunately it is a code that is easy to crack!  Paper copies may be available at the start but I wouldn't count on it.
LoL I tried to register on cycleChat with the username 'Maz' but an error message popped up saying 'username must be at least 4 characters'.

Yes, I just had a look at the event page, pages are upside-down but easy to correct that.
I'll be doing some route research in advance and try not to be too reliant on the device. As the old adage goes 'Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted'.

Maz

« Reply #32 on: 24 January, 2024, 10:35:52 am »

Key points from here: GARMIN EDGE 510

Map a route using our bike route planner and then export a GPX Track for breadcrumb navigation on the Edge 510, or a TCX Course file to get basic turn guidance using the cuesheet generated when you planned the route.

The Edge 510 can use a GPX Track, TCX, or FIT Course.  A TCX Course has the advantage of embedding your planned route’s cuesheet. So, alongside Garmin’s dedicated navigation, you get beeps and text for each pre-planned cue entry in the cuesheet.

Note: Please practice navigating a route with something simple around your neighborhood, and don’t try this right before a ride with friends or a big event!
Thanks - I did create a Work2Home route and used it to to get home from work...sometimes I got very clear "Turn right" or "Turn Left" on-screen instructions (the screen was dim most of the time but became lit up in close proximity to the turning point)...other times I got the "go northeast" type of instructions - I noticed this when I was on the approach to roundabouts (rather than a map showing which exit to take).

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to reverse the route for navigating from Home2Work, so I will create a new route for that.
Cheers

Maz

« Reply #33 on: 24 January, 2024, 10:41:03 am »

If you can't make it work for you don't beat yourself up about it (Garmin's seem fiendishly complicated on first encounters and most of us don't explore more than 10% of it's capabilities). Just follow the routesheet on your very first Audax and enjoy the ride.
Absolutely - I'll plan a local route and get some experience using the device.
And you're right - head is spinning!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:35:53 am »
sometimes I got very clear "Turn right" or "Turn Left" on-screen instructions

Yes, if there is a sharp change of direction in the track, it will give you an instruction to turn in that direction.

However, as noted earlier, the device doesn't know the difference between a turn and a bend in the road. So it will give you the instruction in both instances.

And the corollary of this is that it won't give you the instruction if the turning is effectively straight on (eg a left fork when the road bends to the right).

This is why you need to be extra vigilant when following a breadcrumb trail, and why it is a good idea to use the device in conjunction with the route sheet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Maz

« Reply #35 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:46:04 am »

Yes, if there is a sharp change of direction in the track, it will give you an instruction to turn in that direction.

However, as noted earlier, the device doesn't know the difference between a turn and a bend in the road. So it will give you the instruction in both instances.

And the corollary of this is that it won't give you the instruction if the turning is effectively straight on (eg a left fork when the road bends to the right).

This is why you need to be extra vigilant when following a breadcrumb trail, and why it is a good idea to use the device in conjunction with the route sheet.
Understood, thank for this.

I wish this forum had a simple "Like" button on posts, so I could acknowledge replies that way.

« Reply #36 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:51:13 pm »
Maz.
Rutland and Beyond is fairly easy to navigate with relatively few turns so should be a good opportunity to try out your gps. If the weather is OK there is usually a good turnout so there will  be someone either just infront or just behind you to point the way if needs be. I will undoubtedly be towards the rear of the field so you will always have someone behind.
Welcome to the world of audax and good luck but be aware it's addictive.

Maz

« Reply #37 on: 24 January, 2024, 04:50:02 pm »
Maz.
Rutland and Beyond is fairly easy to navigate with relatively few turns so should be a good opportunity to try out your gps. If the weather is OK there is usually a good turnout so there will  be someone either just infront or just behind you to point the way if needs be. I will undoubtedly be towards the rear of the field so you will always have someone behind.
Welcome to the world of audax and good luck but be aware it's addictive.
Cheers for this, might see you down there.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #38 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:42:55 pm »
sometimes I got very clear "Turn right" or "Turn Left" on-screen instructions

with cue sheets it's not the device that does anything it's the software the route was created in.

with rwgps being in the right map mode and routing mode makes all the difference to how roundabouts are called.

Iirc if use OSM and driving you'll get the proper "nth exit at roundabout "

cycling mode is variable, usually sending you over the pavement on slands rsther than rouns

walking mode will probably send you round the wrong way and get "roundabout"

cannae mid what Google does, probably send you over Ben nevis via the cic.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 25 January, 2024, 12:15:35 am »
Other times, instructions are vague like "Go northeast".

I don't have an Edge 510, but usually with Garmin GPSes that means that:

a) You're not on what it understands to be a road, or your position is ambiguous.

or

b) It doesn't know which direction you're facing (particularly on a unit without a magnetic compass, which can only infer direction when you're moving).

Maz

« Reply #40 on: 25 January, 2024, 10:54:23 am »
Other times, instructions are vague like "Go northeast".

I don't have an Edge 510, but usually with Garmin GPSes that means that:

a) You're not on what it understands to be a road, or your position is ambiguous.

or

b) It doesn't know which direction you're facing (particularly on a unit without a magnetic compass, which can only infer direction when you're moving).
Thanks for this.
I think the "go northeast" type of instructions would be reasonably helpful if only I knew where North was - not sure if Edge510 can tell you that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 25 January, 2024, 01:27:47 pm »
The eTrex has a setting that puts a hard-to-see north arrow in the corner of the map, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Edge510 doesn't.

« Reply #42 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:14:19 pm »
I do have a 510 although it has been many years (maybe 7/8/9) since I used it, don’t know if it even turns on now,  preceded by a tiny 200 but succeeded by a 520, 530 and now 1040 (costing slightly more than a tenner). From memory the 510 does not have a “map” although I do recall hacking it to put on a very small OSM map which never worked properly and made the device very unstable. It does display a breadcrumb route of a loaded GPX or TCX route, can’t recall if it supported .FIT routes. It (I think) supported two forms of “turn-by-turn” , one based on an algorithm used by lower end Garmin devices of the day which did not have routable maps. This version analysed the breadcrumb and determined any change in direction over some limit (90 degrees?) was a turn to be notified, it did not work very well, would miss some real turns and notify you about bends in the road it thought were turns. Disable this option by disabling Turn Guidance or similar wording.

Much better** to use the second option which is to use the “Cue” entries in the TCX otherwise known as Course Points, the text in the file you posted. This will give you a notice as you cross the position of each course point, but it may be delayed depending on the GPS accuracy, not great in 510s. **Actually viewing the navigation video after all those years the first method might be better than I remember and it works with a GPX as well.

You should be able to still find a pdf if the user manual online and this will help. I used the 510 on many (dozens) of Audax 100, 150, 200 rides and I can’t recall it getting me lost. If all else fails just follow the breadcrumb.

Having said all that it is a OLD device and the battery might now not even last a 100. Certainly play with it as a learning tool but if you really get into Audax then a newer version will be a huge asset, 530s are button only interface and should be cheapish as they have been superseded by 540 in last 6 months. If you “really” get into it I would recommend a newer touch screen model, at least a 830. Good luck.

PS https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge510/EN-US/Edge_510_OM_EN-US.pdf

And pay attention to the “Course Pt. Dist.” Data field

AND…These videos might be handy (VeloGPS 510 Playlists)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwZvUUCaBp9AfzE86s4IybBWM0iW90k5X

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #43 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:00:48 am »
that's a point
free rwgps puts the course points on the map divergence. (and thus often after it)
if you pay for rwgps you can tell it to move them a distance before, 10m being handy.

Maz

« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:53:42 am »
I checked on the edge510 and it does have a compass on it (tucked in the corner of the screen), hence instructions like "go northeast" will be meaningful.

When I loaded the TCX file, it also pulled in the cue-sheet...don't know if this forum allows me to upload an image, but the cue-list is like I posted in cycleChat here:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/first-audax-what-to-expect.295923/post-7140193

Hopefully the cue-list instructions will appear on screen during the ride.

« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2024, 05:12:40 pm »
When I loaded the TCX file, it also pulled in the cue-sheet...don't know if this forum allows me to upload an image, but the cue-list is like I posted in cycleChat here:
You can include images, but they need to be hosted somewhere. I'm cheating and using CycleChat. Normally you'd use some image-hosting site. I use Dropbox.

Maz

« Reply #46 on: 29 January, 2024, 10:36:22 am »
You can include images, but they need to be hosted somewhere. I'm cheating and using CycleChat. Normally you'd use some image-hosting site. I use Dropbox.

Nice one, cheers.

« Reply #47 on: 29 January, 2024, 05:01:47 pm »
Assuming you have a smart phone it would probably be worth downloading the ridewithgps app and loading the course on that as a backup.

I you were to get lost I would not trust the re-routing on older Garmins. If you know vaguely where you are find a village on the route on your phone and head for that and you should be able to get back on track.

Also definitely take a battery pack. My Garmin 820 now lasts at most four fours but will run happlily from a powerbank in a toptube bank. A bonus for that approach is that the backlight can be permanently turned on which is useful when riding in the dark.

« Reply #48 on: 29 January, 2024, 08:22:19 pm »
My Garmin 820 now lasts at most four fours but will run happily from a powerbank in a toptube bank
Beware that some older Garmins (like the Edge 500) will reset when you plug in power unless you have a USB "on-the-go" (OTG) cable

Maz

« Reply #49 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:49:25 am »
Assuming you have a smart phone it would probably be worth downloading the ridewithgps app and loading the course on that as a backup.

I you were to get lost I would not trust the re-routing on older Garmins. If you know vaguely where you are find a village on the route on your phone and head for that and you should be able to get back on track.

Also definitely take a battery pack. My Garmin 820 now lasts at most four fours but will run happlily from a powerbank in a toptube bank. A bonus for that approach is that the backlight can be permanently turned on which is useful when riding in the dark.
Not a bad idea. I will download the app.

I am also familiarising myself with the route, turn-by-turn mouse-clicking with google maps and the cue-list, imagining myself on the road, looking out for signposts and "points of interest/markers" along the route to give me some confidence I'm on the correct route!

Nerve-jangling stuff this Audax business!

Cheers